+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

LOVE goat cheese. My favorite thing to do with it is a sandwich I found the recipe for a while back. Toasted wheat bread with goat cheese, spring greens and sliced, roasted beets. The mildness of the beets is a great complement to the goat cheese.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Roasted beets and goat cheese is one of my favorite flavor combinations. So good!

On a totally different subject, I have become addicted to hummus. I've always liked it, but now I have to have it at least once a day. It's so good with fresh vegetables and also really good as a spread on sandwiches. I'm eating Sabra's chipotle hummus and carrots for dinner and it is so darn good! It's smoky and spicy and my tongue is on fire in a good way.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Beets!!! That would be a passionate "No, Thank You!"

I adore hummus!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Love beets and hummus. We are currently into tabouli here. I'd just made a batch today and knocked it on the floor My son almost started crying! (he is 19) ..

just kidding about the crying part. lol

So I grilled eggplant, zucchini, onions, sweet potatos on the grill. Marinated in olive oil, S/P, basil, oregano, parsley and a touch of balsamic vinegar. The veggies were really good. And I found out my Dev (16yo daughter) LOVEs eggplant. lol who knew? not her mother.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

You know, I'm always impressed with how many meals I can get out of a store chicken! I think I'm up to six right now and I still have enough for one more meal. I can usually get a few more meals if I make soup, but it's WAY too hot for that right now!

I just found a fantastic sounding recipe in this fantastic Spanish cookbook I bought a while back that uses a rotisserie chicken. You stew the chicken (okay, you heat it up for ten minutes) - cut into parts - in a reduction sauce of port and cinnamon, with pine nuts, dried tart cherries, apricots and prunes. It sounds (and looks) amazing....and fast too. When I try it, I'll report back
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I love goat cheese to the point of minor obsession, and after having goat cheese fresh from both a goat farm and the street markets in France, I've become somewhat picky about my sources, so it kind of depends on the use. If I'm putting it on sandwiches, where the flavor is truly an accessory, and I'm feeling lazy, I'll use a store brand that escapes me or even Chavrie, which spreads very easily. If there's a possibility that the cheese will be the dominant flavor in any bite, I usually drop into whatever upmarket grocery store happens to be near where I'm shopping and head for their cheese counter. Or a farmer's market here.

I'll be the dissenting vote on goat cheese. I think it's a bit like cilantro in that if you have a certain taste bud you'll hate it. As my cousin Matt says, it tastes like smelly sweat socks to me. In general, I love cheese including nasty blue cheeses etc. As much as I wanted to love goat cheese, I can't stand the taste.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3949524;
    LOVE goat cheese. My favorite thing to do with it is a sandwich I found the recipe for a while back. Toasted wheat bread with goat cheese, spring greens and sliced, roasted beets. The mildness of the beets is a great complement to the goat cheese.
    OMG! that sounds good
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3950922;
    OMG! that sounds good
    It's really yummy! The last time I made it, I used chevre and it was fantastic. It's not something I could eat every day, but it was a great treat.

MRD

I love beets, but never thought to put them on a sandwich.

Currently my favorite sandwich is avocado, alfalfa sprouts, boston lettuce, tomato, cucumber slices and provolone cheese.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread