+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree485Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

OK, I am going to say that we are not impressed with the grill pan. Bought one about 7-8 years ago. Cast iron too. And we both hate it.

But we do use the George Forman.

Things seem to be going well on the eating front. We've had a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, either no cook or limited cooking on the stove top. So it's been pretty good so far. He hasn't not liked anything so far. (amazing) and I put in a supply of tomatos for sandwiches and watermelon for snacking.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Our grill pan is a Circulon; even though it's nonstick, it cooks well and gives great grill marks.

We also like our "mini" George Foreman, which came as a freebie with -- I forget what -- either our toaster oven or microwave? We didn't like the big one, mainly because it was a [insert not-nice word] to clean. But the little one is perfect for us.

Good to know, though, that the meal situation is going well, and that you've found good solutions. Crossing my fingers for a break in the weather for you guys!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

The weather will break in October.

This is our first summer in this house. So we are discussing options to keep the house cooler. Window film, lined drapes, bigger ac unit eventually.
    My solution right now is to wrap the entire front of the house in aluminum foil to reflect the sun. We can plant trees, but that isn't an immediate fix and by the time the trees get big enough, we may have built something elsewhere on the property.

I hate the grill pan because it's not easy to clean. But the george foreman is. We are also doing microwaved stuff. Tonight: twice baked potatos in the microwave and mesquite chicken. (chicken breast came already "mesquited" and just require heating in the microwave)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3943694;

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the grill pan! I gave my husband one for Christmas or a birthday or some such gift-giving occasion. OMG -- I don't know if it was more of a present for him or for me!
    Ellen,
    Isn't it just the best?!! You're a smart wife!!

MRD,
    I think it was the fact that the grill pan was cast iron.
    My sister bought a cast iron one and hated it, too, primarily because the clean up was so hard.
    When I gave her my old Calphalon teflon coated one, she started loving it.
    The Foreman grill is easy cleanup, too, because of the teflon.
    Just glad that he is eating, is easier to cook for, and you're both back together.
    That's better than any grill pan.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

It is a Bit** to clean up, that's for sure. But I don't use teflon anymore. Every teflon pot or pan I've ever had, loses its coating eventually. Even the expensive ones I've tried. And I heard that ingesting the teflon off the pans in your food isn't good for you.

I'll stick with George and his grill. LOL

Hubby is cooking tonight and he is using the OVEN!!!!!! I am so glad he's cooking, but the OVEN????? I so want to go out there and shout, but part of our new togetherness plan is not to yell when we are displeased and to pick our battles. Although the oven may be a battle worth fighting as the temps goin up in here considerably.

He doesn't think you can do twice bakeds in the microwave. He doesn't like microwaved baked potatos. I have news for him, he's been eating nuked baked potatos for a LONG time, he just doesn't know it.

MRD

Inthegarden:

I have to tell you that I am addicted to your cucumber spread. It just tastes so fresh and cool. Like summer! I am thinking that I might try it with goat cheese or even with greek yogurt next.

Looks like a bumper crop of zucchini is headed my way. Having never been a fan of this veggie can someone post some recipes for me to try? Thank you..
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

This isn't a recipe per say as I don't have amounts, but....

Stuffed zucchini

I slice my zucchini in half length wise, put in a casserole, cover with plastic wrap and microwave until inside is soft.

Then I scoop out insides with a spoon, put in a bowl, add a little cheese, some bread crumbs, tiny bit of chopped onion, maybe some chopped tomato, some spices,
    tiny bit of mayo, maybe some bacon bits (really, whatever I have in the house basically, it sort of changes, but you get the idea)
    Mix well, put back in the shells and microwave them for about 3-4 minutes more.

I also grate zucchini using my food processors grating blade. Then I put it in ice cube trays and freeze. After it's frozen, pop out and put in baggies. These can be added to soups, stews and chili and it doesn't affect the taste, but it does give added nutrients. Especially if your family is like mine and is picky about veggies.

I also grate it into my meatloaf, gives the meatloaf a lot more moisture.

I also saute it sliced with a little onion and garlic in olive oil. Simple but good.

You could also do what a neighbor used to do: He'd leave zucchini in a bag on our doorstep overnight. He had a bumper crop that year and everyone got tons of his harvest. We finally got to the point where we'd say: "we had another drive by zucchining last night"
    Last edited by MRD; 06-23-2010 at 02:52 PM.

All I do is slice it up and saute it with salt, pepper and a little olive oil. I also add it to pasta sauce. I tend to like the baby squash better - it's sweeter and has a better flavor.

Growing up, we always had WAY too much zucchini and it was WAAAY too big. My mom perfected her zucchini bread recipe!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3947626;
    You could also do what a neighbor used to do: He'd leave zucchini in a bag on our doorstep overnight. He had a bumper crop that year and everyone got tons of his harvest. We finally got to the point where we'd say: "we had another drive by zucchining last night"
    That reminds me of an old joke:

What do call someone who buys zucchini at the store during the summer?
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Friendless
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread