+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3935652;
    Hubby? Well, alrighty now! Can't imagine not liking salads, but that's just me. Do understand not liking pasta salad. Never met one that I liked. Bland and slimy. Recently heard about orzo pasta salad, and my curiosity is peaked; I'll usually try anything once. There just has to be a way to make pasta salad palatable. I don't believe in bland foods, though.
    I use pesto and sun dried tomatoes chopped fine, sometimes even add bacon...it's definitely not bland!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3941025;
    I use pesto and sun dried tomatoes chopped fine, sometimes even add bacon...it's definitely not bland!
    That sounds delicious. I've had some bland pasta salads, but just like hot pasta, it depends what you add to it and what kind of "sauce/dressing" you use.

I have a recipe for a wonderful Greek pasta salad that is anything but bland.

But it's all a matter of taste I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3937384;
    I asked my husband for his take on this, and he's with you: you make what YOU like and what's good for your health, and if he doesn't like it, let him sweat and fend for himself. (My hubby also said that Mr. MRD should be doing the "impressing and wooing" thing big time! That is, at least making an effort to try AND like what YOU like!)
    He's been this way for the 23 years I've known him. If he changed now, I don't think I would welcome it. It would be forcing a change that he didn't really want or mean. I can deal with his picky eating. I have been doing it for years. It's a pain in the butt especially now that it's hot. But if he is going to change and some things do need to change, I want them to be because he wants to do it for him and for us, not because it would just make it easier on me in the kitchen. I know how I'd feel if he forced me to eat eggplant, spaghetti and guavas because it would make his life easier.

Food is very personal. If you don't like it, there's not much that's going to make you like it and forcing the issue is going to make you like it even less. We have enough in common foodwise that usually it's not a problem. It's just that the heat is making it an issue this summer.

But we've been eating chicken salad, cucumbers, tomato sandwiches. We're going to the Farmer's Market this morning to get some corn, peaches and blueberries. We're both eating a LOT of fruit which is good for both of us.
    And he's been pretty good about fixing things for himself (he always has). The interesting thing? I had cut down on eating meat a LOT while we were separated. I know how he feels about meat. I had made pork chops and chicken for him earlier in the week. The leftovers are still in the fridge. He's opted for the chicken salad, fruit, tomatos sandwiches and not the meat. I think I might be able to get by with only serving meat a couple times a week for the time being.

Shay, he LOVES eggplant. I'm the one that won't eat it. He'd probably be ecstatic if I made him fried eggplant or eggplant parmesan.

I can count on one hand the things I won't eat. Eggplant is one of them. I would need both hands, feet and someone else's hands and feet to count the things Mr. MRD won't eat.

But he and my daughter both love fruit, but are not huge veggie eaters. She prefers her veggies raw. I will eat any veggie except the above mentioned eggplant. I just never developed a taste for it anad I"ve tried. And I used to grate carrots and zucchini into meatloaf to get my daughter to eat more veggies when she was little.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-19-2010 at 08:37 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

mrd, we had breakfast for dinner the other night and I thought of you and mr. mrd. That might be another option for the hot weather dilemma.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3941369;
    mrd, we had breakfast for dinner the other night and I thought of you and mr. mrd. That might be another option for the hot weather dilemma.
    One of our favorite things Veej. I'd rather have breakfast for dinner than for breakfast.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Amen to that!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Tonight's menu: Fresh corn on the cob. Cuke and tomatos sliced.
    Peaches and cottage cheese.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Was watching Big Daddy's House, and he made croutons from deep fried eggplant; very interesting idea. Right up my alley! I love the way he has his 5 year old son get involved in preparations. That is a great idea where a little kid is concerned. Teach 'em young! You never see his wife, or the older son.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I going to try grilling eggplant. And I read somewhere you have to eat a food like 16 times or something before you start to like it. I've never liked fish but we started eating it twice a week and now I'm starting to like it. hmmm fish tacos I'll have to try those next..

And actually being hungry can make anything taste pretty darn good. lol
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Well, I'm on Weight Watchers right now. So, anything sounds good to me.

MRD,

Did you ever try the grill pan? It doesn't heat the kitchen and I've never known a man who doesn't like some grilled foods!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3943315;
    ...Did you ever try the grill pan? It doesn't heat the kitchen and I've never known a man who doesn't like some grilled foods!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the grill pan! I gave my husband one for Christmas or a birthday or some such gift-giving occasion. OMG -- I don't know if it was more of a present for him or for me!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread