+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

Well he's been living on cereal and tomato sandwiches and stuff like that while we were separated. I normally don't have a problem cooking and he does eat most stuff I fix. But I also know what NOT to fix. It's just that when it's this hot, I'd like to eat cold stuff and he just does NOT do salads of any kind.

Tonight I planned on having cold rotesserie chicken, fruit and potato salad. I had to take a phone call and when I came in, he was eating a tomato sandwich and potato salad.

Those sams rotisserie chickens are HUGE and a great price. I use them a lot.
    So, we are going to be eating a lot of sandwiches, cold meats, fruit, etc.

My problem with salads is that I can't eat them all by myself before they go bad. I bought a bag salad last week, doctored it up like I always do. I ate it for lunch 3 days in a row. But by day 4, the lettuce was going bad. And I need to learn to make pasta salads and other stuff in smaller batches.
    I have an orzo pasta salad I LOVE. But I only make it to take to parties as it's HUGE. Same with the cornbread salad. But hard to make either of those in smaller sizes and I would end up throwing out food before I could eat it all and I hate that.

I LOVE that broccoli salad with the raisins and bacon.

And I did stock up on cereal for him.

I'm going to make stuff I like and he can just deal.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3937123;
    I LOVE that broccoli salad with the raisins and bacon.
    There's an upscale grocery store in this area that has a great deli/prepared food section. They have fresh broccoli slaw that is fantastic. The only broccoli salad recipe I have makes a HUGE amount and I can't finish it before it goes bad or I get sick of it!

I'm going to make stuff I like and he can just deal.
    That seems like the best plan to keep you sane!

My dad loves those rotisserie chickens so much that I got him a cookbook of 101 recipes using rotisserie chicken. Honestly, there were so many good recipes in it, I wished I'd bought one for myself too! No word on whether he's actually used the cookbook or not. You know: baby steps.

My favorite thing to do with the last bits of the chicken is to make couscous soup. You just do onions, celery and carrots, like any normal soup base, but you use the seasoning packet from a box of couscous - I've done roasted chicken mainly, but I'm going to try curry next time - and add the chicken. About five to 7 minutes before you serve, you add the couscous, stir and remove it from the heat. Super easy and really fast!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3936685;
    Has anyone ever had turkey pastrami and, if so, can you speak to the flavor as opposed to the beef pastrami? Costwise, how do they compare?
    I've had it; I like it. It has a less fatty mouthfeel than beef pastrami, so I like it right there. I don't notice a flavor difference. The cost? I don't use much meat, so if turkey costs more, it doesn't make a noticeable difference in my budget.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3937123;
    ...I'm going to make stuff I like and he can just deal.
    I asked my husband for his take on this, and he's with you: you make what YOU like and what's good for your health, and if he doesn't like it, let him sweat and fend for himself. (My hubby also said that Mr. MRD should be doing the "impressing and wooing" thing big time! That is, at least making an effort to try AND like what YOU like!)

Cold cuts. Lots of tomatoes if he likes tomato sandwiches - go for it! You make what you like and he can either eat it or make his own.
    What about a little George Foreman-like grill? You can cook meat very quickly, make panini sandwiches, grilled veggies.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3934989;
    I need ideas!!! It is HOT. Our house is HOT. The AC is unable to keep up and therefore from about noon to 6 or 7 pm, it's around 82 in the house. So I'm not real motivated to cook and hubby is not real motivated to eat as he works outside. (fortunately, things cool way down and we are comfortable from around 7 pm until noon the next day).

Here's the problem:
    Hubby will not eat salad. He eats potato salad and chicken salad and that's it. If it has lettuce, he won't touch it. He also hates pasta salads.

I need either no cook, or very little cooking type summer recipes that are light and refreshing. I have been using the crock pot, the stove top, etc. to avoid turning the oven on. And I can cook in the morning before it gets too hot.

But I have been searching for stuff online and everything that comes up is for salads.

So if any of you have any idea for night meals that don't heat up the house and that are not to heavy to eat in the heat, I would be forever grateful.

For the last few days, we've been existing on sandwiches and that is getting old.
    He's really picky which somewhat limits what I can fix. He won't eat anything with dill in it, nor beets, nor many vegetables. But he does like asparagus.

Thanks all.
    We love taco salad minus lettuce at our house. It only takes the stove top to heat the meat. The chips, tomatoes, cheese and ranch dressing make the dish so it's a suprisingly cool summer meal. Of course if he's against salads of any kind you would have to change the name
    Last edited by justCoz; 06-17-2010 at 09:34 AM.

We love BLT's at our house in the summer.......I also buy those beef minutes steaks that are tenderized and it only takes about 7 minutes to cook one. I get my pan real hot and throw them in and walla done in no time. My hubs likes oatmeal and rice and so sometimes I will fix him that at the evening meal with toast and bacon. He loves breakfast to for the evening meal.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3937384;
    I asked my husband for his take on this, and he's with you: you make what YOU like and what's good for your health, and if he doesn't like it, let him sweat and fend for himself. (My hubby also said that Mr. MRD should be doing the "impressing and wooing" thing big time! That is, at least making an effort to try AND like what YOU like!)
    Can't tell you how good it made me feel to see that your hubby and I think alike!

I am sooo craving fried eggplant!! I've never made it before, but it doesn't look that hard. Where I worked, a guy friend of mine used to make it (just for the two of us), if I bought it for us. Too bad mrd's hubby doesn't like veggies. He does not know what he's missing!

Saw a recipe for mac and cheese made with summer squash (for creaminess) and kale, and one other unusual ingredient that I can't remember. It's one of those recipes for sneaking veggies into your children's food without it being obvious. Unfortunately, it does require the oven. mrd, maybe you should start sneaking invisible veggies into things when the weather is more kitchen-friendly. That would please both of you.

When my son lived with me, I had trouble getting him NOT to turn on the oven in the summer. He just didn't get it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;3937695;
    ...Of course if he's against salads of any kind you would have to change the name

I love this idea!

from prhoshay:
    I am sooo craving fried eggplant!! I've never made it before, but it doesn't look that hard.
    Have you ever tried grilled eggplant? My husband made some last night, and it was really good. I think it has a better texture and flavor than fried -- and clean-up is easier! He cut the eggplant into thick rounds, and grilled them until they looked/felt done. He topped them with grilled sweet onions, a little mozzarella, tomato slices, and fresh basil. He put his stack on a toasted panini roll; I topped mine with a little drizzle of balsamic vinegar and ate it with a knife and fork. It was really good!
    Last edited by Ellen; 06-17-2010 at 10:55 AM.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

That sound yummy Ellen. I haven't thought of grilling the eggplant. I bake mine in the oven, topped with onion, tomato, Italian seasoning,bread crumbs and mozzarella. I will get Mr. ING to try that. Love grilled fresh veggies.
    I'm glad heat doesn't bother Mr. ING, he is the one that grills in our house and does a fantastic job. He did make the comment once, You really need to learn to grill... I just answered... but you do such a good job! (meaning no way, that's just one less job for me)

+ Reply to Thread