+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree455Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3935286;
    Maybe you could cut up a bunch of canteloupe which is wonderful right now, with blueberries and strawberries, and serve it with some smoked salmon or some of your famous chicken dip with Ritz crackers, or a plate with rolled up ham, pastrami, etc and olives, pickles and so forth and some good bread.
    Sounds good to me. He won't eat pickles, olives or smoked salmon. he won't eat portabello mushrooms, avocados. He doesn't eat many veggies period. Raw or cooked. He will eat fruit. Couscous and taboula? He'd rather DIE!

When he cooks, we have meat with a side of meat and maybe a potato.

You guys beginning to see my dilemma? He's too damn picky. I on the other hand could live on salads all summer and all your suggestions. They sound wonderful to me.

He will eat fruit and cottage cheese, so I got some wonderful melons at the store yesterday. And a roast chicken on sale. So tonight we are having sliced cold chicken and fruit.

I have tried the microwave rice and it's very good. I highly reccomend it.

Grilling is out. We have a charcoal grill, takes an hour to get the coals ready, then have to stand in the heat to grill the food. I'm not doing it and neither will he.

Yeah, Ellen he is supposed to be impressing and wooing , but I guess someone forgot to tell him that part.

I'm just trying to find something we can all eat and I dont have to die of heatstroke to make it.
    I'm not working right now, he is, so I figure I should be the one cooking as my days are not real busy except for filling out applications.

But I'm about ready to just cook for me and he can eat what he wants himself and fix it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3936227;
    But I'm about ready to just cook for me and he can eat what he wants himself and fix it.
    That's actually not a bad idea. Who knows -- he might nab something off of your plate (something my hubby does because, according to him, food tastes better if he steals it from my plate ) and discover he likes it. AND it saves you the hassle of doing culinary gymnastics in beastly hot weather. If he wants meat with a side of meat with a meat cocktail, let him sweat over whatever the source of cooking heat is.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

^ I can relate to just wanting to make something you like, and letting him fend for himself... and sometimes you just have to do that! My hubby is the same way about not feeling like dinner when he's been working out in the heat; when he was single & had that problem, he survived on potted meat and saltines (gross, I know).

Would you both like quick nachos (microwave), or quesadillas - with a cold beer to make it easier to take in the heat? Also, what about a mix of chopped cucumber, tomato, and onion marinated in Italian dressing or just oil and vinegar? I know it's veggies, but it's sort of guy-friendly and might be good as a side with the chicken. Meanwhile, all that fruit sounds wonderful.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You guys make me glad not to be married!!

I'm surprised that he will eat fruit and cottage cheese....blech....but I've noticed that a lot of guys will.

I vote you lay in a supply of potted meat and saltines!

And, mrd, I'd say let him fend for himself until he gets on with the "impressing and wooing". People will only do to you what you let them get away with doing!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 06-16-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Wow, he is picky. I think I vote for the let him fend for himself and make something for you that will make you happy. Maybe, you could lay in a supply of cereal he'll eat.

When it's hot here since we have no air conditioning (I'm not paying to install central air for 6 weeks a year of heat), we do things like gazpacho; cucumber and onion salad; and cold cuts, cheese, and crackers (also pickles but that won't work for you). Served with a bottle of chilled white wine, it works great. We also grill a lot. Any chance you can trade in the charcoal grill for gas? I love the flavor charcoal adds but it is a pain in the ass on a day to day basis. Our gas grill heats up in 10 minutes or less and it cooks evenly which takes a lot of the guess work out of grilling. Grilled asparagus are awesome. So are grilled tomato halves with grated parmesan on top. Marinate a little chicken to go with or go with steak or sausages and it's great.

You could also look for things you can cook in the morning and serve cold later.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Has anyone ever had turkey pastrami and, if so, can you speak to the flavor as opposed to the beef pastrami? Costwise, how do they compare?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD, We always "grill" inside on the grill pan.

They're pretty inexpensive and since you use them atop the stove, it doesn't get hot like something would in the oven.

I haven't met many who don't like grilled foods.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3936685;
    Has anyone ever had turkey pastrami and, if so, can you speak to the flavor as opposed to the beef pastrami? Costwise, how do they compare?
    I think it's sort of like real ice cream and non-fat or sugar free ice cream. As long as you don't have them side-by-side, it's not bad. The turkey pastrami is less fatty and has a slightly different texture, but it has a similar flavor. I think it also depends on the brand. Not sure about prices. I rarely by lunch meat or any kind because it's so expensive. If I have sandwiches, I use tuna!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

mrd, how about firing up the grill some cool morning and cooking up a lot of chicken? I always grill extra chicken in the summer as chicken leftovers are wonderful. My son is really picky, so he just zaps some plain, but the rest of us have things like chicken tacos, quesadillas or salad. You could freeze what you weren't going to use in a few days.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I'm voting for having him fix his own meals, MRD. You can do your salads and veggies and then he can get hot and sweaty grilling meat....and he can grill some veggies for you while he's out there! If you're cooking, I'd do the meat in the morning and let him heat it up later or serve it cold. You can grill up some chicken and then toss some in a salad for yourself.

My folks have been married for almost 53 years and my father would never get away with not eating what my mom served. Of course, when you've been married so long, you tend to develop similar tastes. Still, I doubt he'd eat a salad if my mom didn't put it in front of him. To his credit, he eats every bit, but it would never occur to him to eat one otherwise.

I hear you about not wanting to prepare anything that requires a grill/stove/oven. I can hardly bear to even eat a hot dinner before 9 pm during the heat of summer. I joined Sam's Club last year because they have rotisserie chickens for under $5 and much bigger than the grocery store ones. I can get 6 meals out of one chicken - more if I do soup. You can use the meat for sandwiches, salads, etc. and it doesn't take much time to prepare.

I'll bet there's a site with summer recipes with cold food, including meat. Maybe one of them would have some recipes he'd eat...or you know, you can let him fend for himself! That may get old very quickly and he'd decide that maybe your way isn't so bad.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread