+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

I need ideas!!! It is HOT. Our house is HOT. The AC is unable to keep up and therefore from about noon to 6 or 7 pm, it's around 82 in the house. So I'm not real motivated to cook and hubby is not real motivated to eat as he works outside. (fortunately, things cool way down and we are comfortable from around 7 pm until noon the next day).

Here's the problem:
    Hubby will not eat salad. He eats potato salad and chicken salad and that's it. If it has lettuce, he won't touch it. He also hates pasta salads.

I need either no cook, or very little cooking type summer recipes that are light and refreshing. I have been using the crock pot, the stove top, etc. to avoid turning the oven on. And I can cook in the morning before it gets too hot.

But I have been searching for stuff online and everything that comes up is for salads.

So if any of you have any idea for night meals that don't heat up the house and that are not to heavy to eat in the heat, I would be forever grateful.

For the last few days, we've been existing on sandwiches and that is getting old.
    He's really picky which somewhat limits what I can fix. He won't eat anything with dill in it, nor beets, nor many vegetables. But he does like asparagus.

Thanks all.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

What about grilling?
    I usually do it all in the grill pan.
    You can do chicken, beef, fish, etc.
    And veggies taste great grilled, too.

Glad to see that Mr Rosie Dog is back in the picture.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I would suggest grilling as well. Even when I have the AC running, I don't like the oven on because it just makes the AC run more. Tonight, I was planning on grilling chicken, putting zucchini and squash in foil on the grill, and also grilling some asparagus or making a cold rice salad of brown rice, black beans and corn. The cold rice salad is even better the next day and is great with the leftover chicken and veggies. I love all grill meals in the summer.

Minute Rice sells pre-made rice in small single-serving microwavable containers. Since I'm the only one in my house that will touch brown rice, these are perfect - plus, I don't have to actually cook it. They're also good for lunches - I mix them with can of tuna for a quick lunch at work. (Never thought of mixing in beans and rice but I'm going to try that now. ) You can get wild rice and plain old white rice as well.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3935233;
    Minute Rice sells pre-made rice in small single-serving microwavable containers. Since I'm the only one in my house that will touch brown rice, these are perfect - plus, I don't have to actually cook it. They're also good for lunches - I mix them with can of tuna for a quick lunch at work. (Never thought of mixing in beans and rice but I'm going to try that now. ) You can get wild rice and plain old white rice as well.
    I saw the microwaveable brown minute rice the other day at the market.
    Your recommendation will now tempt me enough to try it.
    I just saw the large box (4 servings).
    I will search for the single serving ones.

Thanks
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3934989;
    I need ideas!!! It is HOT. Our house is HOT. The AC is unable to keep up and therefore from about noon to 6 or 7 pm, it's around 82 in the house. So I'm not real motivated to cook and hubby is not real motivated to eat as he works outside. (fortunately, things cool way down and we are comfortable from around 7 pm until noon the next day).

Here's the problem:
    Hubby will not eat salad. He eats potato salad and chicken salad and that's it. If it has lettuce, he won't touch it. He also hates pasta salads.

I need either no cook, or very little cooking type summer recipes that are light and refreshing. I have been using the crock pot, the stove top, etc. to avoid turning the oven on. And I can cook in the morning before it gets too hot.

But I have been searching for stuff online and everything that comes up is for salads.

So if any of you have any idea for night meals that don't heat up the house and that are not to heavy to eat in the heat, I would be forever grateful.

For the last few days, we've been existing on sandwiches and that is getting old.
    He's really picky which somewhat limits what I can fix. He won't eat anything with dill in it, nor beets, nor many vegetables. But he does like asparagus.

Thanks all.
    Maybe you could cut up a bunch of canteloupe which is wonderful right now, with blueberries and strawberries, and serve it with some smoked salmon or some of your famous chicken dip with Ritz crackers, or a plate with rolled up ham, pastrami, etc and olives, pickles and so forth and some good bread.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Hubby? Well, alrighty now! Can't imagine not liking salads, but that's just me. Do understand not liking pasta salad. Never met one that I liked. Bland and slimy. Recently heard about orzo pasta salad, and my curiosity is peaked; I'll usually try anything once. There just has to be a way to make pasta salad palatable. I don't believe in bland foods, though.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We did orzo pasta salad at my brother's wedding and it was fantastic. If I remember correctly, it was a mayo base with celery and black olives and, I think, little shrimp. It was delicious.

I can't imagine not liking salad either. I love it in all forms, from potato/macaroni to baby greens to other veggies.

Does he just not like raw veggies of any kind, MRD? I'm a big fan of broccoli salad - the kind with raisins, sunflower seeds and bacon. You get good veggies and, heck, what isn't made better with a little bacon? If you chop it up smaller, you can call it broccoli slaw, so it isn't called the s-word!

Now that summer is here and the avocados are really good, I've been practically o.d.ing on them! One of my favorite meals in the summer - not only because I like it, but because it doesn't require me to use the oven - is soft tacos with brown rice and black beans. I make up a batch of brown rice and just keep it in the fridge and heat up as much as I need. I use the low fat tortillas and put brown rice, black beans and low fat sour cream. It's simple and healthy and filling.....and cheap. I started putting sliced avocado in them and OMG. It's all I want to eat! I've had people laugh (or cringe) when I tell them that I eat this a lot, but I love it. I practically lived on it in college and, remarkably (and unlike many other foods from that period) I still want to eat it now.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Grilled veggies, with portobello mushrooms as the star. Brush with a little garlicky olive oil, season with a bit of salt and pepper, and voilą! Asparagus grills very nicely, as do many other veggies. (My hubby does 'em all the time.)
    BTW, isn't your husband supposed to be trying to impress and woo YOU at this moment?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

What veggies does he like? I want to say that Ina Garten has a recipe for a guacamole salad, which doesn't actually have lettuce, but if he doesn't like avocados or black beans, that would be an issue. I'm not the biggest fan of lettuce myself, so I sometimes make myself composed salads-- grape tomatoes, bell peppers, cukes, onion, feta with a lemon vinaigrette is my go-to, but you might be able to work with the vegetables he does like... and call it a melange or hide it in a pita

Grilling is another idea-- chicken kebabs, if you don't mind the chicken, or does he like portobello mushrooms? My mom had a recipe for grilled portobello mushrooms with this tangy sauce that I really liked...

And finally, from the make ahead and serve cool/at room temp family, how does he feel about cous cous (I don't have the recipe but there's this place in town that does a fantastic cous cous with dried cranberries and butternut squash), tabbouleh (Ina Garten has a good chicken/tabbouleh recipe on the food network site), lentils, quinoa, etc.

I love most things pasta, so there are plenty of pasta salads I like... but I also know it's easy to find a bad one, so I mostly only try them if I know the source and the ingredients.

+ Reply to Thread