+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree521Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3921447;
    I just found the perfect, super-filling and low-calorie (and healthy!) lunch! I've been doing a variation of this for a while, but this is my favorite. I slice up 3 TJ's turkey meatballs and brown them in a skillet and then add some TJ's fat free spaghetti sauce with mushrooms. Once that's heated, I take one of those Orowheat Sandwich Thins and brown it a bit in the broiler and then top eat side with half of the meatballs and sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Once the cheese is a little brown, I take it out of the oven and put fresh spinach leaves on top and put the halves together. I added it up and it's about 300 calories and it's really filling!
    I've done a similar thing with almost the very same ingredients. I leave the sandwich open-faced so that they're like little pizzas, and instead of spinach I use fresh basil leaves (from the potted basil plant -- also from TJ's -- on my balcony).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

No toaster oven here, but I do have a huge bag of meatballs in the freezer I need to either use or give away.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3921486;
    Ha - I remember making toasted cheese sandwiches using foil and an iron... good times.
    You can also make ramen noodles in the coffee pot.
    Make sure the pot is clean. Put the noodles and flavor packet in the pot. Add the correct amount of water to the resevoir and let it drip.

And you can heat up canned in the coffee pot too. Just put it in the carafe and turn the pot on and it will heat up teh soup.

Are they precooked meatballs gut? Because I bet you could put those in the coffee pot with some spagetti sauce and let it heat up.
    There is actually a cookbook on how to make things in your Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker. Because basically, the heating unit for it is just a hot plate.

ETA: Book is called Cooking Without a Kitchen
    Says the basket is used to steam food and the carafe to heat up items.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-03-2010 at 09:54 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

No toaster oven here, but I do have a huge bag of meatballs in the freezer I need to either use or give away.
    Gutmutter, I'm pretty sure you live near me (Boston area?)...you're always welcome :-)

Thanks TripleGemini - and everyone else for their suggestions. I outsmarted us both. My main pot and skillet are in pretty bad shape (warped bottom, teflon gone) so before she came I bought inexpensive replacements and let her take those. She also took the Turbocooker (!!informercial ) and the good baking sheets, but being the hoarder that I am, I have backups I can use with foil over them. Ok, she took the foil, but I can get more. So I'm set. I had my son text the son of the people buying my house yesterday and ask if I could leave the (heavy!) dark red leather couch with recliners on each end. I can't find anyone to move it. They said yes. So I have a "bed" until I go. Yay!
    Count your blessings!

Here is the food I have/need to eat in the next 2 days (plus today)... a can of peaches and a can of lentil soup (those can be stored in my classroom). Frozen peas, cauliflower, ice cream, pot stickers, in the fridge - a large bag of carrots, juice, soy milk, a small quantity of cooked rotini pasta. Next question: If the money still hasn't been released from Argentina by Tuesday, I'll be living one day at a time here until/unless it is. At this point I hope they can't get the money out and I can stay here and reconoiter.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3931788;
    Here is the food I have/need to eat in the next 2 days (plus today)... a can of peaches and a can of lentil soup (those can be stored in my classroom). Frozen peas, cauliflower, ice cream, pot stickers, in the fridge - a large bag of carrots, juice, soy milk, a small quantity of cooked rotini pasta. Next question: If the money still hasn't been released from Argentina by Tuesday, I'll be living one day at a time here until/unless it is. At this point I hope they can't get the money out and I can stay here and reconoiter.
    Hmm, thaw the peas and mix with the pasta. Pour the peaches over the ice cream.

Hope things work out the way you would like them too. Remember to put it out there for the Universe (yes, I'm giving your own advice right back to you.
    )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I stopped by Subway and treated myself to my favorite sub (Turkey and cheese with all the veggies). I just came back from the friend's duplex where I'll be staying until I'm back on my feet. The side I'll be living in has a full kitchen, bath, bedroom, living room (all furnished), so I don't have to eat exactly what's in my fridge/freezer. I can transplant whatever's left to the new fridge.
    Count your blessings!

That's great news Gut. When do you plan on moving to the duplex.

Thanks mrd, now I feel like having ice cream and peaches. I have a few jars of peaches left that I canned, no ice cream though. That can easily be solved by making a trip to the grocery store!

The people buying my house are having trouble getting their money out of Argentina. The closing is supposed to be Tuesday, but they don't have the money yet. I don't know what I'll do if there's a big delay.
    On topic... Compari and grapefruit juice is floating my boat this evening.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread