+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

Shay, they have them in SC.

Family coming tomorrrow. Bringing authentic Cuban sandwiches, I can't wait. There is nothing better in the world than a Cuban sandwich on real Cuban bread toasted.
    Also potato salad, baked beans, roasted chick peas, cucumber and tomato salad. Going to be a good weekend.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

After Monday, I will be lacking most kitchen stuff due to my daughter taking whatever she wants in prep for my move in 2-3 weeks. I guess I can just eat salads and tuna sandwiches on paper plates. Any good ideas for food considering I won't have kitchen staples? We're talking open a can, bag, or fresh. I can't even make my fruit/veggie shakes because my blender is already in Ohio.
    Count your blessings!

Hmmm... will you have an oven but no cooking supplies? If you tire of salads and want a warm meal, maybe try fish, chicken, and/or veggies cooked in a foil pouch.
    But I suppose the occasional takeout would be just as easy. Sometimes you can eat for days on the oversized servings.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 05-29-2010 at 09:55 AM.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3917895;
    After Monday, I will be lacking most kitchen stuff due to my daughter taking whatever she wants in prep for my move in 2-3 weeks. I guess I can just eat salads and tuna sandwiches on paper plates. Any good ideas for food considering I won't have kitchen staples? We're talking open a can, bag, or fresh. I can't even make my fruit/veggie shakes because my blender is already in Ohio.
    That's pretty much what I've been doing in Florida despite having a fully stocked kitchen (pots, pans, etc.).

I have just been cooking for one, so I have been doing cereal, sandwiches and lean cuisines. Why cook?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I guess I could get some aluminum trays to cook on and the foil is a good idea. I'll probably do some take-out, some Subway sandwiches, and lots of salads. Our local grocery store has things like stuffed grape leaves and deli stuff that would work. I just usually have a pretty pure diet, but I guess a couple of weeks won't upset the apple cart too much.
    Count your blessings!

I just found the perfect, super-filling and low-calorie (and healthy!) lunch! I've been doing a variation of this for a while, but this is my favorite. I slice up 3 TJ's turkey meatballs and brown them in a skillet and then add some TJ's fat free spaghetti sauce with mushrooms. Once that's heated, I take one of those Orowheat Sandwich Thins and brown it a bit in the broiler and then top eat side with half of the meatballs and sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Once the cheese is a little brown, I take it out of the oven and put fresh spinach leaves on top and put the halves together. I added it up and it's about 300 calories and it's really filling!

Gut, do you have a toaster oven? I had a friend in college who cooked practically all her meals in hers! Of course, in college, you do tend to eat a lot of grilled cheese and pizza!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Ha - I remember making toasted cheese sandwiches using foil and an iron... good times.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always heard about people in prison doing that!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

ooops, I may have just given too much away.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Your secret is safe with me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread