+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;3877742;
    I hate peeling avocados :-) So I cut them in half, and pop out the pit. Then I hold one half in my left palm, and use a butter knife in my right to cut it into squares. (Repeat with the other half.) Finally, I use a large spoon to scoop the squares out into a bowl. If I'm making guacamole, I'll mash them from that state, but if I'm putting avocado into a salad, I'll cut the longer squares into smaller pieces.
    If they are ripe enough, you can just scoop with the spoon, or do what I do and cut in half, remove the pit and then just squeeze the skin and the avocado comes out and it's already sort of mashed.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3877938;
    If they are ripe enough, you can just scoop with the spoon, or do what I do and cut in half, remove the pit and then just squeeze the skin and the avocado comes out and it's already sort of mashed.
    That's what I do, too, unless I'm just slicing it to put in sandwiches. They are one of my favourite foods...I'm such a whore for them that I'll even eat the guacamole that comes in jars. I wish they weren't so damned expensive, though. You say you had a neighbour with an avocado tree? That sounds impossibly exotic to me. Now I'm craving some and I don't have any...will have to get some tomorrow for sure.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3877969;
    That's what I do, too, unless I'm just slicing it to put in sandwiches. They are one of my favourite foods...I'm such a whore for them that I'll even eat the guacamole that comes in jars. I wish they weren't so damned expensive, though. You say you had a neighbour with an avocado tree? That sounds impossibly exotic to me. Now I'm craving some and I don't have any...will have to get some tomorrow for sure.
    Holy Guacamole! This Sunday (April 18th) is the annual Avocado Festival in Fallbrook -- about 30 - 45 minutes northeast of coastal San Diego. But be warned: you'll never want to touch jarred guacamole again! (Guess where I'm gonna be. Hint: not church.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Tableside guacamole has to be one of my favorite recent dining trends.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3877897;
    I heard Paula recommend that you eat her rich foods only once in a while. She definitely recommended moderation.
    I never heard her say that and I see her show on at the gym quite a bit.
    And, judging from her and Michael, I don't think either one is exercising moderation.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It was just this past Saturday that I heard her say that. Never heard it before, either.

I don't guess anyone else finds the texture, blandness of the avocado bothersome? Found that a lot of people called the taste "buttery", during my research.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3878406;
    It was just this past Saturday that I heard her say that. Never heard it before, either.

I don't guess anyone else finds the texture, blandness of the avocado bothersome? Found that a lot of people called the taste "buttery", during my research.
    I have heard Paula talk recently about her and Michael eating more healthy.

I like to eat avocado in salads.......I use baby spinach, mixed greens, red onion, tomatoes, cucumbers and black olives with diced up avocado and my favorite dressing which right now is Tuscan House dressing and I add walnuts to it and I can make a meal out of it. There is times in the year that you can get avovados that do taste buttery.

nennie! that sounds delicious. I love avocados/guacamole. I never buy it because they are too expensive and taste like cardboard in my area. I'm going to Florida in May, and will have my fill as I usually do when I go there.

I'm going to check them out in the grocery store tomorrow, so I can make that salad.

Nennie,
    I think that salad sounds great, too.
    What is the Tuscan dressing? Is it an Italian vinaigrette type dressing?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3878406;

Eaten plain they can be kind of bland. But they are fabulous in guacamole and on sandwiches.
    One of my favorite sandwiches is turkey, cheese, lettuce tomato, sprouts and avocado.
    When I do eat them plain, I put a little worchestershire sauce on them.

I have also made avocado mayonaise for sandwiches.

They are a great accompanyment to a lot of foods. But plain, I can see why people wouldn't like them.

I once had the best crab salad made with crab and avocados.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread