+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

Avocado is one of my favorite things. I do miss being able to get them from the neighbors tree when we lived in Florida.

The only way the sandwich could have been better was if it had alfafa sprouts on it. I LOVE sprouts.

Shay, do you eat guacamole?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I must admit that I've never experienced guacamole. Had guacamole potato chips once, and got "the backdoor trots". Guacamole is ugly, but I'd try it if somebody could guarantee me it was really good.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I think it's really good. But then, I make my own. I've never had any out that I thought was really good.

Wish you lived around the corner!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Wouldn't that be fun? You'd get to try all kinds of different stuff.

I've been out of the loop of late, so I'm terribly sorry if this has already been discussed. I'm wondering if how many people here have purchased Pioneer Woman's cookbook? I just love it and I discovered the best ever recipe for Chicken Pot Pie from her. I just cannot get enough.

Next up from her book - Sour Cream Pancakes. Sounds so very simple, and yet so yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3877113;
    I must admit that I've never experienced guacamole. Had guacamole potato chips once, and got "the backdoor trots". Guacamole is ugly, but I'd try it if somebody could guarantee me it was really good.
    It's really easy to make. I just find a ripe avocado that is a bit soft (I prefer the ones with bumpy skin that is almost black). You want it to be soft enough that you can mash it up pretty easily, but not mushy. Cut it in half, remove the skin and the pit and cut it up into smaller pieces in a bowl. Add a little salt, granulated garlic, granulated onion, ground red chili, and some fresh lime juice. Mash it all up together with a fork, it will probably still be a little lumpy when you are done. Then enjoy! I don't eat it straight on chips like a lot of people, but I really like it in soft tacos.

I hated guacamole as a kid, but developed a taste for it during pregnancy (which struck me as very odd). I continued to enjoy it after the pregnancy was over, but recently I discovered that I have developed an intolerance for avocados - I get awful indigestion shortly after eating them. It is a real bummer that I finally developed a taste for the darn things, and now I can't eat them!!

I hate peeling avocados :-) So I cut them in half, and pop out the pit. Then I hold one half in my left palm, and use a butter knife in my right to cut it into squares. (Repeat with the other half.) Finally, I use a large spoon to scoop the squares out into a bowl. If I'm making guacamole, I'll mash them from that state, but if I'm putting avocado into a salad, I'll cut the longer squares into smaller pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3877421;
    I've been out of the loop of late, so I'm terribly sorry if this has already been discussed. I'm wondering if how many people here have purchased Pioneer Woman's cookbook? I just love it and I discovered the best ever recipe for Chicken Pot Pie from her. I just cannot get enough.

Next up from her book - Sour Cream Pancakes. Sounds so very simple, and yet so yummy.
    I saw when she was on the View.
    They seem to be all comfort foods that she does, so I can see why people would like them.
    My concern was that they all looked to have a high fat content, like Paula Deen's food.
    But, I haven't seen all of PW's recipes, so perhaps she has some that are healthier.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I heard Paula recommend that you eat her rich foods only once in a while. She definitely recommended moderation.

+ Reply to Thread