+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3876107;
    What exactly is vegan? I've never really understood it.
    Basically, it's vegetarian AND no animal products, including eggs and dairy.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Vegan is no animal products whatsoever. Vegetarians usually still include dairy and eggs.
    Vegan is way too hard for me. Vegetarian isn't.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3876212;
    Vegan is no animal products whatsoever. Vegetarians usually still include dairy and eggs.
    Vegan is way too hard for me. Vegetarian isn't.
    Me too. I don't want to live in a world without cheese.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3876107;
    What exactly is vegan? I've never really understood it.
    My understanding is that people who are vegetarians do not eat meat, but will consume animal by-products like dairy, eggs, etc. Vegans go further than this and will not consume anything at all that comes from an animal.

There are some simple definitions of the vegetarian sub-categories here:
    Vegetarian and Vegan Information-Vegan Vs Vegetarian

ETA: I think being strictly vegan can be tricky, especially when trying to eat out. I went to dinner with some colleagues at a Chinese restaurant several years ago. One of them was vegan and had a discussion with the waitress about broths used in their food because he could only eat dishes using vegetable broth. It took a while to get the information he needed to simply place his order. I currently work with a person who has to eat gluten-free and she has similar difficulty dealing with restaurants. I do think establishments are at least becoming more aware and knowledgeable about these kinds of dietary restrictions.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 04-13-2010 at 05:59 PM.

ty norealityhere.

I could possibily do vegetarian..but vegan would be very hard. I think (hope) that we as a society are going to start making some changes in the way we eat. It will probably take years upon years but maybe the "normal" diets of today which contribute to obesity, heart disease, diabetes etc. will go the way of cigerette smoking. lol maybe they should start taxing the hell out of junk/fast food. There ya go!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

My 2 best friends are vegetarians. They go completely vegan during the week and then relax a bit and just stick vegetarian on the weekend. During the week, they don't have any regular dairy products, eggs, etc. There are substitutes for just about everything though. One of my friends has vegan cheese made out of some kind of soy instead of dairy.
    Wake up and be awesome

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'd love to be vegetarian, but I've found that the food doesn't seem to be heavy enough to keep me satisfied for long. As it is, more and more, I don't care for meat (it tends to annoy my stomach), and I have a lifelong allergy to fish...white fish, in particular. I love a lot of veggies...but root vegetables don't please me much. Frustrating!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Shay, the recipes in Laurel's Kitchen cookbook are very hearty and satisfying. I have been using this and the veggie shepard's pie is to die for as is the hearty pea soup. Both very satisfying and both have lots of protien. Protein is the key when eating vegetarian. And high in fiber fills you up and keeps you satisfied longer.
    We are eating a lot of beans and rice in various ways too. Lot of grains like barley and millet.

I can't give up cheese either. Or eggs.

Yesterday had a tomato, avocado and basil sandwich on whole grain bread and it was SO GOOD.

Fortunately there are a couple restaurants here that do vegan dishes. One is Indian and they don't do any dishes with any animal products. It's good and it's cheap too. The other is a middle eastern restaurant, also very good and cheap.

I have a friend that can't have gluten and she prefers to eat at Olive Garden when we eat out as there are a couple things on the menu there she can get that don't have gluten. Most restaurants, you could order salad without croutons and it would be gluten free.

But yeah, special diets are a pain when you eat out and also kind of challenging when you invite people over that are on them.

But I think more and more, restaurants are catering more to people that are vegetarian. I personally now know about 10 people that are vegetarian and I read that more and more people are going that way, so I am sure more restaurants will start serving more dishes that are vegetarian. I know a lot of them here do. But vegan is way more challenging.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Yesterday had a tomato, avocado and basil sandwich on whole grain bread and it was SO GOOD.
    Mmmmm -- one of my go-to favorites!

Over here, it's pretty much a given that restaurants have a decent selection of vegetarian dishes. However, they're just beginning to offer more than one vegan option on the menu.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've only had avocado once, and didn't care for it, but I don't know if it was a good one.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread