+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3865403;
    I just "googled" rhubarb, out of curiosity. Most sites just refer to it as a "plant." However, one site did refer to it as a vegetable.
    That's what I thought: the part of it that we eat -- the stalk -- qualifies as a vegetable (like celery), even though we use it or think of it as a fruit. Weird.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I didn't post something that I composed, but gave up. I was going to go with my own definition, which is "if it's sweet and grows on a tree, bush or vine like berries, it's a fruit". But of course, cucumbers and squash and other things grow on vines (except I didn't research the official definition of "vine"). And cucumber and squash are now apparently fruits anyway.

I'm now going with "if it's sweet, it's fruit". But like I said before, it really doesn't matter.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3858574;
    We ordered our GS cookies awhile back, maybe January, and got them a few weeks ago. We have an "No Solicitation" ordinance in our city that if you have a sign clearly posted, you can report violators and they'll be fined. I told our neighborhood Girl Scout dealer that the sign didn't include her!!!!

I did get some Edy's GS Samoa ice cream today at Giant Eagle. I'll report back after I've had some.
    I forgot to report in!!! It was just okay. I wouldn't buy it again. The ratio of cookies to ice cream was too low.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3864868;
    A LOT of what we commonly call vegetables are actually fruit: notably tomatoes (as you'd mentioned), as well as pumpkin and all of the other squashes. Anything that comes from a blossom and contains seeds is technically a fruit. Not that it matters all that much: nutritionally, if you check out the sugar, fiber, vitamin, etc. content -- and get what you need -- what does it really matter unless you're a botanist?
    In my college Plant Materials class, many moons ago, there was a very heated debate over fruit or vegetable, this is the quote from my Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia, my very wornout textbook:
    "According to L.H. Bailey, a vegetable is "In horticultural usage, an edible herbaceous plant or thereof that is commonly used for culinary purposes. "In common usage the fruits of the Tomato, Cucumber, Squash, etc. are considered as vegetables in the home garden, although of course each one is a seed-bearing organ and hence, under strict usuage of the language, might be considered a fruit."

Basically, if it contains seeds, its a fruit.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Not that it really matters....for me, if I'm not allergic and it is pleasing to my palate.....it's all good.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Brian Boitano's show.... He needs to stick to skating. I have a hard enough time wanting to cook, as it is.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I made some chocolate cookies. These are healthy (ish) and good.

Oats, I subbed whole wheat pastry flour, splenda brown sugar and used cocoa. They are very tasty.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

I have only had meat one time in the last two weeks. Been eating a lot healthier, have not had sweets at ALL in 2 weeks and it has really kick started the weight loss again.

I have not missed meat at all as it's been harder and harder for me to eat and I haven't really wanted it, so it wasn't hard to go meatless at all.
    I am sure that I will eat meat, but I'm not cooking it right now.

Opps, I did have some shrimp last night. But land animal meat, only once.

My daughter has gone completely vegan. That I cannot do. But I have noticed that I feel so much better getting off both meat and sugar.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

What exactly is vegan? I've never really understood it. That's great that your feeling better MRD. I know exactly what you mean. Since I've elminated processed foods and most white stuff (potatos, flour, pasta etc.) I feel easily 20 years younger. Now I just need to buckle down on portion control. I'm continuting to lose 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per week though...for me it's become the journey rather than the goal. I've lost 50lbs since Sept. I don't have a goal weight-I'll just get there when I do.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3876107;
    What exactly is vegan? I've never really understood it. That's great that your feeling better MRD. I know exactly what you mean. Since I've elminated processed foods and most white stuff (potatos, flour, pasta etc.) I feel easily 20 years younger. Now I just need to buckle down on portion control. I'm continuting to lose 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per week though...for me it's become the journey rather than the goal. I've lost 50lbs since Sept. I don't have a goal weight-I'll just get there when I do.
    Wow! 50 lbs. That's terrific.
    You are, by the way, losing weight the best possible way to ensure that it stays off. You're losing it slowly. That takes patience, but it does teach you good habits and you're less likely to put it back on.

MRD,
    That's wonderful news! You go, girl!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread