+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Thanks Gutmutter! When you say you got a Black and Decker, did you buy a blender or a Magic Bullet? My blender is 25 yrs old and I don't think it would be able to crush all those fruits and vegtables. I will have to buy a new blender or whatever appliance you think is best to make those healthy drinks! What a great idea, easy to make and easy to take to work for lunches!

ETA Ok, I just googled Montel Healthy drinks, and came up with tons of info. He has a f/book as well. That machine does 31 kitchen jobs in one. I wonder if it does laundry!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 03-28-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Lettuce, when it's in with fruits, has no taste at all. Spinach a little more so - plus it turns the juice darker. I don't have any set recipes. I just wing it with what I have on hand. Today I used up some kumquats that were starting to go wrinkly (which gives the drink a fun CHEWEY texture ), a blood orange that wasn't as juicey as it should have been, canteloup, carrots, orange pepper, frozen blueberries, and water. Just delicious. Sometimes I go heavier on the veggies. Celery I cut up so I don't have to worry about strings. I had two tall glasses of it which fills me up, and there's a tall glass in the fridge for breakfast tomorrow. I live alone, so I just leave the base out on the counter and rinse out the blender, lid, and cutting board as soon as I'm done.
    Angel - I got the B&D blender at Walmart. We already had a Magic Bullet which would do the same thing on a smaller quantity.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 03-28-2010 at 05:10 PM.
    Count your blessings!

I need to give the veggie blends a shot. I've been making fruit smoothies forever, but have never tried using veggies - blended lettuce just doesn't sound appetizing, though I love salads.

One of my favorite summer "drinks" is banana, blueberries and strawberries blended with a splash of milk. Yum.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I should add that there are all kinds of things you can add: honey, yogurt, wheat germ, dried fruit, fruit preserves (fig - yum!), propolis, ginger, etc.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3864613;
    For starters, you could read the label of a can of V-8 (or competitor) juice. Although I think it has all veggie, no fruit (except that tomato is a fruit).
    A LOT of what we commonly call vegetables are actually fruit: notably tomatoes (as you'd mentioned), as well as pumpkin and all of the other squashes. Anything that comes from a blossom and contains seeds is technically a fruit. Not that it matters all that much: nutritionally, if you check out the sugar, fiber, vitamin, etc. content -- and get what you need -- what does it really matter unless you're a botanist?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3864868;
    A LOT of what we commonly call vegetables are actually fruit: notably tomatoes (as you'd mentioned), as well as pumpkin and all of the other squashes. Anything that comes from a blossom and contains seeds is technically a fruit. Not that it matters all that much: nutritionally, if you check out the sugar, fiber, vitamin, etc. content -- and get what you need -- what does it really matter unless you're a botanist?
    I did not know that! Now I'm going to be rethinking "vegetables". What vegetables do not come from a blossom??? Are you sure about that criteria?

Peppers...cucumbers...are fruits?

It really doesn't matter, of course, but wow!
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3864930;
    I did not know that! Now I'm going to be rethinking "vegetables". What vegetables do not come from a blossom??? Are you sure about that criteria?
    According to my high school and college biology classes -- yup!
    (Unless the definitions have changed since that time, when dinosaurs still roamed the earth. )

Peppers...cucumbers...are fruits?

It really doesn't matter, of course, but wow!
    Amazing how language and science often contradict each other!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Love learning something new :-) From Wikipedia:

"While cucumber is technically a fruit, one would not usually use it to make jam."

And:

"...many items commonly called 'vegetables' -- such as eggplants, bell peppers, and tomatoes -- are technically fruits..."

My son loves fruits but isn't that fond of veggies. Maybe if I tell him they're all fruits... ;-)

One of the things that confuse me is rhubarb. Fruit or vegetable? Even with the definition above, I still can't figure it out. It grows out of the ground, it can blossom, but it's not the blossoming part you eat. Yeah, still confused.

FORT Fogey

I just "googled" rhubarb, out of curiosity. Most sites just refer to it as a "plant." However, one site did refer to it as a vegetable.

+ Reply to Thread