+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3864265;
    I have a huge sweet tooth and lots of treats in my house right now for my nieces. The plan is to box up everything tomorrow to be shipped so I won't be tempted. I gave up sweats for lent and this is the time I'm non stop craving it. I'm pretty sure I can make it through the night.
    What do you wear to the gym? Nyuk, nyuk. Sorry - couldn't help myself.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3864327;
    What do you wear to the gym? Nyuk, nyuk. Sorry - couldn't help myself.
    Oh, serious type.

I meant sweets. I don't think I could give up sweats. Sweats are my officially lounging outfit and I would never make it without them.

I'm trying to get back on the healthy eating train. My daughter's visit seriously derailed me. She came, bought food, cooked for me, and left, with pots of creme brulee and chocolate ganache cake in her wake. I finally finished the Irish butter and have my blender at the ready for healthy drinks.
    Count your blessings!

Gut, what are some of your healthy drinks? That is one thing I've never experimented with.

I watched an infomercial with Montel Williams one weekend and he was selling some monster blender and claiming the health benefits of blendered fruits and veggies. He was adding veggies in with fruit to disguise it. My blender had bit the dust years ago, although we have a Magic Bullet - which isn't very big. I wasn't about to spend the $$$ for Montel's but I went to Walmart and got a Black and Decker with lots of power for not much $$. I use fresh and frozen fruit (fresh - apples, bananas, pears, grapes... sometimes more tropical fruit if it's on sale) then add veggies like carrots, red, yellow, or orange peppers, lettuce, spinach. Whatever's on hand. I add a cup or more of water to make it liquid enough to drink. I have a large "Life is Good" water bottle that I take it to work in. Adding at least a little bit of frozen fruit keeps it cold until I finish drinking it. For frozen I like cherries and blueberries, sometimes mango or papaya, sometimes raspberries or strawberries.
    Count your blessings!

How does lettuce and/or spinach do in the blender?
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3864579;
    I watched an infomercial with Montel Williams one weekend and he was selling some monster blender and claiming the health benefits of blendered fruits and veggies. He was adding veggies in with fruit to disguise it. My blender had bit the dust years ago, although we have a Magic Bullet - which isn't very big. I wasn't about to spend the $$$ for Montel's but I went to Walmart and got a Black and Decker with lots of power for not much $$. I use fresh and frozen fruit (fresh - apples, bananas, pears, grapes... sometimes more tropical fruit if it's on sale) then add veggies like carrots, red, yellow, or orange peppers, lettuce, spinach. Whatever's on hand. I add a cup or more of water to make it liquid enough to drink. I have a large "Life is Good" water bottle that I take it to work in. Adding at least a little bit of frozen fruit keeps it cold until I finish drinking it. For frozen I like cherries and blueberries, sometimes mango or papaya, sometimes raspberries or strawberries.
    What an excellent idea! I'm going to try that, I'm tired of eating salad every day. Do you use more fruit than veg, and are some combinations better than others?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I can't imagine getting tired of eating salad!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I also watched the Montel infomercial, but like most infomercials, the product is way too over-priced. Way to go on working the basic concept and not falling for the product hype, Gutmutter.

This reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld's wife's promotion of "sneaking" veggies and other healthy choices into meals (geared towards children, mostly). She put that book out, but I've read about many non-famous everyday cooks who have been doing that for years.

Sidenote: I'm not liking how fruit and veggie prices have sky-rocketed over the last few years. It's beyond ridiculous. Although I could say the same for meat prices and actually everything.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3864591;
    What an excellent idea! I'm going to try that, I'm tired of eating salad every day. Do you use more fruit than veg, and are some combinations better than others?
    For starters, you could read the label of a can of V-8 (or competitor) juice. Although I think it has all veggie, no fruit (except that tomato is a fruit).
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

+ Reply to Thread