+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 469 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Being from the Northeast, where good old-fashioned donut shops are the norm, I won't go near a Krispy Kreme when we're traveling. IMHO, they're just not good eating. But I know plenty of people who loooove them so I guess it takes all kinds.

Dunkin Donuts doesn't thrill me either. I like the mom and pop shops where you get hefty yummy coffee rolls or fritters or fried cakes. THAT's a donut! lol

Now, DD coffee...that's wonderful!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

MRD - I'm experimenting a bit in my crockpot today. I will let you know how it turns out. I had purchased some pork chops that were really lean and on sale - I don't normally eat pork chops, so I needed to get creative. I put them in the crockpot with some Au Jus mix and water to let simmer all day. I'm kinda hoping that the meat will end up tender enough to kind of shred for sandwiches. We shall see. If it works, it sure would be a cheaper way to do it that with pork tenderloin!

Every time we are in Vegas - we go over to the Excalibur because they have a Krispy Kreme in the food court and they always have hot, fresh donuts! I only like their original glazed donuts, though. For some reason, their other donuts just don't impress me.

Lucy I remember that recipe! I looked for weeks for "masa harina" and I don't know what that would be in Canada. Is it cornmeal (gritty) or corn flour?

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

I too am not a donut person - I worked in Dunkin' as a kid and got soured on them.

Until....

Hot Hand-Dipped Homemade Donuts - The Fractured Prune Donut Shoppe

Never in my life have I had such a delectible creation. Holeeeeee crap. I'm glad they only have them where I vacation or I fear I'd be in a diabetic coma and 100 pounds overweight!. Just look at the choices: Donut Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3217330;
    Lucy I remember that recipe! I looked for weeks for "masa harina" and I don't know what that would be in Canada. Is it cornmeal (gritty) or corn flour?
    It's a flour, and I think the name of it would be the same in Canada. HowStuffWorks "What is Masa Harina?"

This is the brand I got:

Did you look in the "ethnic" food aisles? That's where it is in my local supermarket, instead of with the flour and sugar.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Yeah, I did. I bet I have to go to Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck) We don't have the selection you guys do. Any Canadians know?

You don't have any Mexican markets canuck?

Maybe in downtown Toronto but not out in the burbs. We have Mexican aisles in the food store that consist of taco mixes, burritos, salsa , black beans, canned chilies and that's about it. Well, now I'm just going to have to google and see if there actually is any. Hubby and I made Thai green and red curry from scratch and finding the Thai bird chilies was not very easy. We had to go on an epic hunt.

Canuck, I'm lucky here -- even if I couldn't find it in the ethnic aisle, there's a tiny Latin market just around the corner, and we also have one (that I know of) Asian market that has had every strange ingredient for Thai food that I've sought, including the chilies. And, luckily, a lot of items there have labels in English.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;3217340;
    I too am not a donut person - I worked in Dunkin' as a kid and got soured on them.

Until....

Hot Hand-Dipped Homemade Donuts - The Fractured Prune Donut Shoppe

Never in my life have I had such a delectible creation. Holeeeeee crap. I'm glad they only have them where I vacation or I fear I'd be in a diabetic coma and 100 pounds overweight!. Just look at the choices: Donut Menu

Holy crap, marybeth! I'm glad there's not one of those stores around here!

It's bad enough that we have Rick's Dessert Diner. That's where my slice of "birthday pie" came from this year. Plus, we took a giant slice of red velvet cake to go I can't go there too often because a) I'd gain a 100 pounds and b) it's too hard to pick just one thing! Just browsing through their menu of 285 different desserts is making me hungry!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread