+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I love rice pudding! There is a middle eastern restaurant in my area that serves rice pudding flavored with rose water that is so, so good.

I have a bit of a rice addiction so I've been trying to eat healthier by replacing rice with quinoa in all my usual dishes. It's been working so far!

MRD

Don't like Tapioca either. Although I once had a pony named Tapioca. I didn't name her, she came to me with that name.

I am thinking that I am going to take my leftover mashed sweet potatos and make potato cakes with them. I've never done it with sweet potatos before. Have with regular mashed potatos.

We had coq au vin tonight. I have somehow lost the bouquet garni in the pot somewhere. Could NOT find it. I used cheese cloth too. Oh well, am sure it will turn up when we reheat the leftovers.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3799401;
    We had coq au vin tonight. I have somehow lost the bouquet garni in the pot somewhere. Could NOT find it. I used cheese cloth too. Oh well, am sure it will turn up when we reheat the leftovers.
    I usually tie mine to the handle of the pot with a string so I don't lose it. I'm always losing the bay leaf in my soups.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3799401;
    . . . I am thinking that I am going to take my leftover mashed sweet potatos and make potato cakes with them. I've never done it with sweet potatos before. . .
    Hubby does that a lot; they're especially good for breakfast with a touch of maple syrup and a dusting of freshly ground nutmeg. In fact, whenever we have sweet potatoes, we make more than we need so that we have leftovers for potato cakes!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3799536;
    Hubby does that a lot; they're especially good for breakfast with a touch of maple syrup and a dusting of freshly ground nutmeg. In fact, whenever we have sweet potatoes, we make more than we need so that we have leftovers for potato cakes!
    I don't know why I never thought of it before now.

Critical, that's a great idea. I didn't want to stir it too much looking for the bouquet because the meat was starting to fall off the bones of the chicken and I didn't want that to happen.

I made enough to feed the Russian Army. I don't know why I can't make a soup, stew or chili that isn't HUGE. I used my cast iron dutch oven which is gigantic and it was filled to the brim. If I start with a smaller pot, then I end up having to transfer to a larger one. I have this inability to make small amounts of these kinds of dishes. But hopefully I can freeze some of the leftovers.

Another good thing to make ith leftover baked sweet potatoes is sweet potato pancakes...yum.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3801276;
    Another good thing to make ith leftover baked sweet potatoes is sweet potato pancakes...yum.
    Those are my favorite thing in the whole world. BUT, I don't make them. There is this place here called The Ham House (got to love a place with ham right in the name! ) that makes THE best ones. OMG. And I have this one local friend that will post on his facebook page:

"Going to Tommy's in half an hour" (It is actually called Tommy's Ham House, but most everyone just calls it Tommy's)

And he NEVER eats alone. I saw it one day, showed up and there were 8 of us all eating sweet potato pancakes. It was a wonderful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3795977;
    And yes, I often use chicken stock in place of water. Chicken stock is not as strongly flavored as beef and compliments more things than beef stock does.
    I make grits with chicken stock often.

I dont always keep chicken or beef stock on hand, but I do keep bouilion cubes and use that. Works just as well in my opinion in most soups, stews, casseroles, etc.
    I'm down to 10 cans of 33% less sodium chicken broth. Which is making me feel like I'm running out. When you start out with 72 cans at a time, you tend to lose perspective. You also tend to use it all the time in place of water.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3802611;
    I'm down to 10 cans of 33% less sodium chicken broth. Which is making me feel like I'm running out. When you start out with 72 cans at a time, you tend to lose perspective. You also tend to use it all the time in place of water.
    Mariner, this makes me feel so much closer to normal.

MRD

Mariner, I had figured you'd be out by now. Wow, those cans lasted a long time.

+ Reply to Thread