+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree528Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

We've been getting the boxed stock at the plain ol' supermarket; it has significantly less sodium than the broth of the same brand. (We used to get the stock-in-a-box at TJ's, but now they only carry broth.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I got a lb. of imported Irish butter because someone had left a hefty coupon near it. I had it on toast this morning and about swooned. Can anyone tell my why butter made in Ireland would be that much better than butter made here? It is incredible.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3797499;
    I got a lb. of imported Irish butter because someone had left a hefty coupon near it. I had it on toast this morning and about swooned. Can anyone tell my why butter made in Ireland would be that much better than butter made here? It is incredible.
    Cows may eat differently in Ireland. Maybe the grass is sweeter there.
    And don't have as many hormones, antibiotics and stuff added to their food there?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It's like the difference between marscapone and cream cheese.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3797527;
    Cows may eat differently in Ireland. Maybe the grass is sweeter there.
    And don't have as many hormones, antibiotics and stuff added to their food there?
    I believe that. The butter in France doesn't compare either and this is from someone who isn't a fan of butter!

It also has a higher butterfat ratio than American butter. Also, Irish cows just eat the grass....no feed like American cows are given. It is also why Irish butter is more yellow than American butter.....higher levels of beta carotene from the grass. The cream used to make the butter is also somewhat cultured compared to the cream used in American butter.

Irish beef also varies depending on which area of Ireland the beef comes from. People will ask the butcher where the beef was raised and base their decision on buying it from that! They can tell the difference, I guess.

My local market carries Irish butter leading up to St. Patrick's Day. I am going to check to see if it is available now. I usually see it after Valentine's Day. And see if I can find a coupon! I always use it on the brown bread, soda bread and scones that I make up. Yum!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3798097;
    . . . Also, Irish cows just eat the grass....no feed like American cows are given. . .
    There are American cows raised like that; we recently found a local butcher whose suppliers are small family farms -- free range, organic, beef that's grass-fed/grass-finished. There's definitely a difference between those and the factory-farmed stuff.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Thank you! Glad to know it's not just my imagination. And it IS more yellow. The only problem is that now I'm eating a lot more butter because it is so incredible. I'm halfway through the package, so will have to evaluate whether I want to get it again when it's gone. At our store (Hannaford) it is always available in the specialty cheese section near the deli.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3798129;
    There are American cows raised like that; we recently found a local butcher whose suppliers are small family farms -- free range, organic, beef that's grass-fed/grass-finished. There's definitely a difference between those and the factory-farmed stuff.
    It kills me that they call it that and charge more, though. Actually, most beef cows are on pasture (and all of them around here) , eating grass, until it's time for 'finishing'--going to the feedlot to put on a bunch of weight and marbling in the meat. "Free range", "grass fed" and "grass finished" could as easily be called "unfinished". "Organic" is actually different, not so sure it tastes any different. The others are like what you get if you go to a regular old beef cow ranch or cattle sale and buy a steer and take it to the slaughterhouse. (A much cheaper way to go if you have a freezer!)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3798276;
    It kills me that they call it that and charge more, though. Actually, most beef cows are on pasture (and all of them around here) , eating grass, until it's time for 'finishing'--going to the feedlot to put on a bunch of weight and marbling in the meat. "Free range", "grass fed" and "grass finished" could as easily be called "unfinished". "Organic" is actually different, not so sure it tastes any different. The others are like what you get if you go to a regular old beef cow ranch or cattle sale and buy a steer and take it to the slaughterhouse. (A much cheaper way to go if you have a freezer!)
    We used to do that and the taste is a LOT different when it's just grass fed.

Where I used to live, we had a local independent grocery and they ALWAYS bought the prize steers that the local kids showed in the county fair. We would NEVER buy meat there after the fair. The kids, in feeding their steers and making them look good and gain weight, made the meat tasteless and tough.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread