+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I think my mother and sister saw Julie and Julia together, so between that and the fact that my sister spent the 2007-08 school year studying in France (and our family went to dinner at her host family's house when we visited), my mom now owns both volumes of Julia Child's cookbook, plus between the two of them we have several volumes of other french cookbooks. You can imagine the cooking that goes on at my parents' house, especially before my sister found her job!

Actually, that reminds me of a story: we're all big fans of the lemon tarts one finds in the patisseries of Paris, so when my sister found a recipe for a lemon tart in one of her cookbooks, she decided to give it a try. Not realizing that in this particular French cookbook, the recipes were directed at the French and what they can find in their markets, my sister followed the recipe to the letter. Well, it turns out that the lemons the recipe called for were substantially smaller than the ones my sister bought, because I took a bite of the tart, and it was one of the most sour things I've ever put in my mouth. The icing on the cake, though, was when I opened the fridge a couple days later, and saw holes in the foil that was used to cover the tart. Yup-- the tart was so acidic that the foil began to corrode. And if I'm remembering correctly, the metal tart pan also discolored before too long.

FORT Fan

Does anyone have any suggestions for transporting crostini to a party? The party location isn't that far away from my house, but I don't want the bread to get stale.

I was thinking of toasting the bread before I leave and then just wrapping it in foil or something and assembling the toppings once I arrive at the party.

Thoughts?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3790850;
    I have a friend who just got a hybrid stove. The burners are gas and the oven is electric. I'm jealous.
    Oh, I am too. I prefer the electric oven and the gas burners.

OK, the Beef Bourgiognon was DELICIOUS, but was a bear to make. At one point, I had all 4 burners going AND the oven. I dirtied everything in the kitchen.
    It's a lot of work for a meal that all goes in ONE pot!
    But it was pretty darn good. But doubt if I make it again unless I get a lot of help.

They do NOT show THAT part in the movie.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by thetortfeasor;3791900;
    Does anyone have any suggestions for transporting crostini to a party? The party location isn't that far away from my house, but I don't want the bread to get stale.

I was thinking of toasting the bread before I leave and then just wrapping it in foil or something and assembling the toppings once I arrive at the party.

Thoughts?
    I think assembling toppings when you get there is a good idea. I would also let the toasted bread cool before you wrap it or at least avoid wrapping it tightly - you wouldn't want the heat to cause steam that will ruin the toasted texture of the bread.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3792291;
    I think assembling toppings when you get there is a good idea. I would also let the toasted bread cool before you wrap it or at least avoid wrapping it tightly - you wouldn't want the heat to cause steam that will ruin the toasted texture of the bread.
    Do you think it'd be better to put the bread in a tupperware container? Or maybe even keep the bread bag and once the toasts have cooled, just put them back in there?

Quote Originally Posted by thetortfeasor;3792578;
    Do you think it'd be better to put the bread in a tupperware container? Or maybe even keep the bread bag and once the toasts have cooled, just put them back in there?
    If you wait until they are cool, then I don't think it really matters. The bread bag would probably work fine. It's convenient and avoids a dish to wash!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3792602;
    If you wait until they are cool, then I don't think it really matters. The bread bag would probably work fine. It's convenient and avoids a dish to wash!
    Thank you so much for your help!

I think I will toast the bread earlier than I was originally planning to in order to have enough time for it to cool all the way. Then, I'll just put the toasts back in the bread bag which, like you said, will be convenient and make one less dish to wash.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Parchment Paper is great for wrapping hot breads or pastries. It will keep the bread or pastry warm, but allows the steam to escape, keeping the bread or pastry from getting soggy.

MRD

Bought one of those Bear Creek soup mixes as I needed convenience. Well you add 8 cups of water to the soup (cheddar potato). I have now spent over an hour doctoring and tasting to make the chalky/bitter aftertaste go away. I would have been better off starting from scratch.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3795490;
    Bought one of those Bear Creek soup mixes as I needed convenience. Well you add 8 cups of water to the soup (cheddar potato). I have now spent over an hour doctoring and tasting to make the chalky/bitter aftertaste go away. I would have been better off starting from scratch.
    I'm not a fan of those Bear Creek mixed either. My folks love them and I can't figure out why. I bought a vegetable beef soup one a while back and didn't even finish it.

Speaking of pre-packed soup mixes, I bought a potato corn chowder one from World Market. I liked their Harvest Vegetable one, so I hope this one is good too. It's not a "just add water" mix. You have to add stock, milk (okay, it calls for cream, but I just can't do it), bacon and onion. I have hope.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread