+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree485Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I have a food questions for everyone. My family loves egg rolls. The only thing I do not like about them is the time it takes to julienne the carrots and celery properly to get the best texture in the egg roll. I have been using a slicer like this to do my julienne:
    Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon Julienne Peeler with Blade Protector: Home & Garden

It actually works great, but it is reallllly time consuming.
    I would LOVE to get a mandoline that is capable of julienne-ing carrots. I have tried a couple, but with no luck. I got a gift card for Christmas and thought I would try this one because I had a good impression of OXO (Ihadn't read any reviews at the time):
    Amazon.com: Oxo Good Grips Mandoline Slicer: Home & Garden

It was awful. I could not julienne a carrot with that product if my life depended on it, it just was not nearly sharp enough. I understand I may have to invest more $ than I did this last time, but I would prefer to look for something under $200. I will absolutely use it for regular slicing tasks as well, but I am not willing to invest my money in something that cannot julienne carrots!! Does anyone have a recommendation for a mandoline that can handle this task?

Closet, I wish I could give you a good recommendation, but I'm in the same boat as you are.
    I tried a mandoline that I bought at a home store - can't remember the name - but it seemed to work very similar to the Oxo one. I've looked at the high end ones, too, and they don't seem to operate any better and they're not so portable or compact to handle.
    The best mandoline I have ever used was one that I picked up at a swap meet many years ago. It had an extremely sharp blade, was very portable, and made even cuts each time. It lasted me for years, but finally the plastic gave way.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Just trying to be helpful and healthy in recommending to cook your beans in the crockpot.
    Yes, the jars are easier and you don't have as many pots, lids and a crockpot to clean.
    But, if you use the beans in a jar, you also get 400 mg. of sodium per 1/2 cup serving.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3787009;
    I have a food questions for everyone. My family loves egg rolls. The only thing I do not like about them is the time it takes to julienne the carrots and celery properly to get the best texture in the egg roll.
    I don't make or eat egg rolls but I've heard you can just use cole slaw mix as an easy way to make them.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And what do you get when you season your own beans? I don't overly sweat the small stuff, since I understand that I will not live forever anyway. Everything in moderation, in my mind.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

My food processor has a grating blade (well it has several sizes) and I have used it for carrots that come out perfect for eggrolls and it takes about 20 seconds. LOve my food processor for many reasons.

I don't presoak the beans if I use the crockpot. Put them on high instead of low. Then only the crockpot is dirty. No soaking bowl and no other pot or lid
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3787579;
    I don't make or eat egg rolls but I've heard you can just use cole slaw mix as an easy way to make them.
    That would be really easy, but I don't use cabbage. I learned to make them from a woman from China that I used to work with. She told me that she never makes them with cabbage, it is just a cheap filler that restaurants like to use as a cost cutting measure. The only veggies I use are carrots, celery, and green onions. I highly prefer this mix to the cabbage filled rolls you usually get in restaurants!!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3788162;
    My food processor has a grating blade (well it has several sizes) and I have used it for carrots that come out perfect for eggrolls and it takes about 20 seconds. LOve my food processor for many reasons.
    I have tried grating them in the food processor. It is definitely faster!! On the other hand the grate is smaller so the carrots tend to cook much faster in the egg roll so it does affect the texture of the final product. However, I might have to try this way again sometime soon to re-evaluate due to the time savings...

Maybe I also need to look into additional blades for my food processor. Maybe what I really need is a different style grating blade!! Going to Google now...
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-07-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Going around the corner to the Chinese restaurant! Now!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

What am I missing here? Why can't you just chop them with a knife? How big a batch are you making?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3788703;
    What am I missing here? Why can't you just chop them with a knife? How big a batch are you making?
    I have a big family, so up to 40 at a time and I pack them pretty full!

+ Reply to Thread