+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I finally made it to the Fresh Market that opened near my parents' house recently. Boy, would that store make you forget about the previous occupants! They completely redid the interior (which did not happen the last time the store changed hands) and it looks fantastic. Our favorite thing so far: Mamie's Cheese Wafers. They come in frozen tubes, and you slice, bake and serve-- they're addictive. Williams Sonoma sells them as well, but for at least twice the price.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3742934;
    I just made a cranberry-orange relish-- one bag of cranberries, one whole orange (including skin) chopped in a food processor (I used my Cuisinart Mini-Prep and had to do it in steps), and then sugar to taste. So refreshing!
    My favorite deli makes a really good turkey or chicken salad which has mayo dressing and plumped up orange-flavored dried cranberries in it.

Boy is that good!

I now make it at home. It only takes a few minutes to plump up the cranberries in the microwave and it's a great use for leftover chicken/turkey.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3759421;
    I finally made it to the Fresh Market that opened near my parents' house recently. Boy, would that store make you forget about the previous occupants! They completely redid the interior (which did not happen the last time the store changed hands) and it looks fantastic. Our favorite thing so far: Mamie's Cheese Wafers. They come in frozen tubes, and you slice, bake and serve-- they're addictive. Williams Sonoma sells them as well, but for at least twice the price.
    Try their butternut squash/Apple soup. It's in the refrigerated section of the deli. Shake the container good before opening and heating. I swear that stuff must have crack in it because it's so addicting.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I had some bacon left over from the turkey chowder I made over the weekend, so I cooked up some Brussels sprouts with bacon. It. Was. GOOOOOD. I fried up the bacon first and then took it out of the pan and cut it up. Then I poured off all but about a tablespoon of the bacon grease and cooked up the sprouts - I slice them, lengthwise into about four pieces - in the bacon grease with some salt, pepper and garlic. When the sprouts were browned a bit and cooked through, I added the bacon back in and tossed. I wouldn't eat them like this all the time, since the bacon fat kind of counteracts the healthy effects of eating veggies, but it was great for a treat.

Speaking of bacon, did anyone see SNL a few weeks ago? On Weekend Update, Seth Meyers said something like "In an interview this week, Kate Moss told a reporter that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. Replied the rest of the world, 'BACON!'"
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I know a lot of people here are fans of The Pioneer Woman. She is going to be on QVC today selling her cookbook. She's going to be on sometime between now and 3pm on the "Gifts from David's Kitchen" show.
    Wake up and be awesome

I just made up containers of rumballs for gift giving. I've been working on alternating batches of chocolate (with walnuts) and white chocolate (with blanched almonds). I used to only make the chocolate, but then had a friend who couldn't eat chocolate and always pouted at our annual Secret Santa party when people raved about the rumballs. The first time I adjusted the recipe for her I decided I liked the white ones, too. So this year I made two batches of each and am including both in gift containers. I've been "tasting" as I rolled the last batch of white balls this morning and have a warm glow going. Mmmmmm
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I think I have developed a new weight loss program. Food Aversion Therapy. If I see or eat anything else that is sweet, made of cheese or otherwise rich and fattening, I think I might be ill. I want a salad. A nice big salad.
    I seriously think I woke up Sat. with a sugar hangover.

I have one today. I'm going to make a blender full of raw fruits and veggies.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I met and made great friends with kumquats this weekend! They made me happy!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Grew up with a kumquat tree. Sure do miss it. Glad you like them.

All the tamale talk, made me hungry for some, so we ignored the leftovers and got take out Mexican food for dinner tonight. I got my tamales, but am sure they were not nearly as good as the ones you all made at home.

+ Reply to Thread