+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree528Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

[QUOTE=myrosiedog;3732379;]
    I'm going to try stone ground grits next in the crockpot. The long cooking kind, not the instant or quick grits and see if I can get the same result. Because hot buttered grits for breakfast sounds as good as crockpot oatmeal.[/QUOTE]

Sounds even better if you ask me. Please let us know how they turn out.

MRD

[QUOTE=brunette trixie;3734564;]
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3732379;
    I'm going to try stone ground grits next in the crockpot. The long cooking kind, not the instant or quick grits and see if I can get the same result. Because hot buttered grits for breakfast sounds as good as crockpot oatmeal.[/QUOTE]

Sounds even better if you ask me. Please let us know how they turn out.
    As soon as I can get some milled grits I will. There are several mills here that still do stone ground grits and I want to use those. They take about 1 hour on the stovetop, so I think that putting them in the crockpot would be great.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FoRTer

I live in a rural area, and our local mill down the street is where folks go to get custom feed blends for their livestock. I'm guessing it's not the same as your mills, but it gives me a little chuckle nontheless. I'm told that back in the day our mill was where everyone in this area brought in their grains to be ground into flour. Too bad they don't still offer that service, on a much smaller scale, as it would be very retro and cool. Those stone ground grits do sound wonderful.

Anyone have any tips/recipes for blue potatoes? A good potatoes vinaigrette or something along those lines? How do you cook them so they maintain their blue color (I've seen it done, but when I tired it a few weeks ago, they ended up being a white and blue swirl)? I'm hoping they'll be at the farmer's market the next time I can make it there!

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3734668;
    I live in a rural area, and our local mill down the street is where folks go to get custom feed blends for their livestock. I'm guessing it's not the same as your mills, but it gives me a little chuckle nontheless. I'm told that back in the day our mill was where everyone in this area brought in their grains to be ground into flour. Too bad they don't still offer that service, on a much smaller scale, as it would be very retro and cool. Those stone ground grits do sound wonderful.
    We get some of our cattle feed from an Amish mill in Kentucky. They use horses to turn the grist mill. So interesting to watch. Here are some websites that you can order from, for hand milled products:
    Lakeside Mills - Serving the finest flour and corn meal products in the Carolinas since 1736, meadowmillspontiacbuick.ca, The Old Mill Square of Pigeon Forge, TN | Family Vacation, Pigeon Forge Shopping, Attractions, Restaurants, Toys, Children's Gifts, Gifts, Candy in Pigeon Forge East Tennessee,

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have never heard of blue potatoes!

OK, so I just googled the images of the blue potatoes, and something about that " just ain't right".
    Last edited by prhoshay; 10-25-2009 at 02:23 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

In Hawai'i, we were lucky to have accommodations with a kitchen. We bought locally grown organic blue sweet potatoes to go with a couple of dinners. Once we steamed them, another time we roasted them in the oven -- pretty much the same as with any other potato. We preferred them oven roasted (cut into eighths or so, with just a little olive oil and salt), as the flavors were more pronounced that way.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Here's a good site with stone ground grits AND they also carry Carolina Gold rice. That stuff is fabulous. It's an heirloom rice that hasn't been grown here in ages and they have started back growing it. It has the best flavor.

Rice, Grits, Breads , Corn Meal

You'd want to buy either the Lakeside or the Carolina Plantation stone ground grits. They also have "lesser" quality grits on there.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I get the baby blue potatoes and make the famous FORT smashed potatoes with them. I guess since I boil them whole without cutting the skins, that's why the color doesn't leech out.
    Count your blessings!

FoRTer

myrosiedog, after your post yesterday, I googled around and stumbled upon the site you linked above (their "Southern Zodiac" page had me )... good to know which are the preferred brands.
    inthegarden, thanks for those links; I kept finding lots of listings yesterday for mills in SC, but didn't realize we had one in TN (although Pigeon Forge makes perfect sense).

+ Reply to Thread