+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I just made beer-battered tofu...OH. MY. GOD. This is the first time I've ever done something that was battered, the first time I've worked with block tofu, and the first time I've tried deep-frying anything...the batter tastes just like the best fish/chips you can buy, and I used Kaliber which is a dealcoholized beer. I am putting together cookbooks for my extended family for Christmas, and this is a recipe that is going in there.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3719256;
    Well I saw your suggestion too late to try it, but will give it another go. I made some pork chops w/ lemon in the crock pot that were your recipe MRD and they were delish. (you should post that over in that thread) so I'm sure the fish packets would be better than what I just choked down. Let's just say I was popular with the animals tonight.
    We love that recipe and I haven't made it in a while. Maybe tomorrow night as I have a whole chicken in the crockpot today.

Will go post the recipe in that thread.

I also find that some fish tastes better than others. I do NOT like tilapia and I've had it several different ways.
    I find that grouper, red snapper and orange roughy are good. Sam's club used to sell Orange roughy filets.
    We also like salmon and there are some great salmon recipes out there.

Also try soaking the filets in milk for a few hours first. The milk is supposed to help take the "fishy" taste out.
    Last edited by MRD; 10-06-2009 at 11:48 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Is Sam's taking orders for the turducken yet?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3719933;
    I do NOT like tilapia and I've had it several different ways.
    Hallelujah! Someone else who doesn't like tilapia . I keep hearing about how marvellous it is, so I keep trying it, but bleh. It's not the taste so much, though, as the texture. I find the texture to be quite disgusting - soft and moist and just too much like something that came out of a dumpster. I also loathe the texture of shark - too spongy - disturbing to the tongue.

A good fish for the non-fish lover is halibut. Not overly fishy tasting and a nice firm texture. Takes well to being herbed and lemoned.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

You guys are giving me hives and making my throat swell. I feel so sorry for me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I brought a couple squash from my garden back to the city with me, and at my mom's suggestion, cooked up a chunky pasta topper (sauce doesn't seem to be the right word for it) of squash, plum tomatoes and artichoke hearts... it's a very tasty combination!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3719965;
    Hallelujah! Someone else who doesn't like tilapia .
    Me three--I can't eat tilapia or shark either and I'm a fish lover. The biggest problem with any grocery store fish that hasn't been frozen is getting it fresh enough, if you don't live right where the fish are brought in. I find the frozen fillets are much better, when I do buy grocery store fish, which is rare. But, I now see that my freezer is almost out--about time for a fishing trip, but will have to wait. To the Dekalb International Market soon, for a seafood fix.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

If you watch the tilapia episode on "Dirty Jobs" and see their primary diet (and function during their fishy lives) you'll probably never want to eat tilapia again.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3719965;
    Hallelujah! Someone else who doesn't like tilapia . I keep hearing about how marvellous it is, so I keep trying it, but bleh. It's not the taste so much, though, as the texture. I find the texture to be quite disgusting - soft and moist and just too much like something that came out of a dumpster. I also loathe the texture of shark - too spongy - disturbing to the tongue.

A good fish for the non-fish lover is halibut. Not overly fishy tasting and a nice firm texture. Takes well to being herbed and lemoned.
    And I thought I was the only one that didn't like it.

I do like shark and swordfish is good too. Shark is less fishy tasting. To me its the taste and not the texture and I hate fishy tasting fish.
    I like catfish too, but only breaded and fried, not so healthy that way.

And cod isn't bad either. It's got a bland taste, so it needs lots of spices and lemon, etc. to give it flavor
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've heard that fishy tasting/smelling fish is OLD. Yea or nay? My ex- used to cook (fry) catfish (and I would have to leave the house because of the allergy) and it always smelled like urine. Don't know what that was abut.

+ Reply to Thread