+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I don't really like french toast, but my boyfriend made me try cinnamon bun french toast....YUM! Just cut it in half and make it the normal way, if there is cream cheese on it, I like to scrape it off and use it as topping instead of syrup, so good!!! ...but not the healthiest!

I'm making bean soup in my crock pot with a soup mix from the Honey Baked Ham store - Seaside Bean. I just pulled the ham bone out to cut up the meat and HOLY COW (or pig! ), I can't believe how much meat was on that thing. I cut off at least a pound of ham from the thing yesterday to make ham and eggs and sandwiches. It was maybe $9 and then 50% off. I love a good deal!

The house smells amazing. I would imagine that my neighbors are jealous!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Forget the neighbours! I'm jealous

MRD

Critical, I am a big fan of the hambones from Honeybaked. I get them frequently and there is a LOT of ham left on them. I have enough to not only make soup, but sandwiches and casseroles and you can't beat the price. I have said I will never pay the full price for a Honey Baked ham again when I can get the bone for $7 and get a lot of meat on it to use.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

For me, the ham left on the bone is a little too salty. I mainly eat it in ham and eggs, which is one of my favorites. I've done sandwiches before, but I found I was out of bread this time. Still, it's a great deal. I got some a while back when they were buy one, get one free and this last few I got at 50% off.

There was still so much ham on this bone that the soup looks more like ham soup with some beans!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

So tonight I'm going to make some fish fillets. Sole and they are frozen. Do I let them thaw before baking? I was thinking of putting some butter and lemon juice (maybe some herbs?) any advice would be appreciated because I hate fish and am eating it because it's SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD FOR YOU.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Livin, I like to do packets.
    Thaw the fish. Get out a sheet of tinfoil, big enough to make a packet.
    I spray lightly with pam so it doesn't stick to the foil.
    Then I put the fish on the foil, s&p, some fresh herbs (thyme, basil or tarragon, just put a branch on whole) and a lemon slice and an onion slice and some minced garlic. Wrap up in the foil and bake at 350 for 20-30 min., depending on the thickness of the filets.
    THen just remove the lemon slices and herbs when you serve it. I leave the onions because I really like onions
    I used to hate fish, but I have found some great recipes for them

I rarely make fish. For some reason, it never turns out right. Its either over or undercooked, unless I am frying it! But I agree with MRD, putting them in the packets is the easiest way to go and I have had the best results doing it that way.

My mom used to thaw the frozen fillets, then dip in an egg wash, roll them in bread crumbs, put a pat of butter and a slice of lemon on top and cook them in the oven. Probably at whatever temp and time was stated on the box. (I remember as a kid eating this every Friday during Lent.)

MRD

Oh, I forgot. Instead of butter, I drizzle the fish fillet with a little olive oil.

Well I saw your suggestion too late to try it, but will give it another go. I made some pork chops w/ lemon in the crock pot that were your recipe MRD and they were delish. (you should post that over in that thread) so I'm sure the fish packets would be better than what I just choked down. Let's just say I was popular with the animals tonight.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread