+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree382Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

lol I wish you did live closer norealitythere. I could use an excercise buddy. Actually right now I'm doing stuff with my DH. He can't do much because of his health issues but we're working on it.

I'm really hoping not to have to do insulin and just use meds.

Everytime I write something it comes out really awful. My head is messed up. Thanks for the advice all and lets just move on right now..
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Livin, my recommendation for exercise is walking. Just start small and take an easy 20-30 minute walk every other day. The more you do it, the longer and more often you will go. Plus, you get lots of fresh air and get to enjoy the beautiful scenery outdoors. Do it at a convenient time, either get up before work or go right after work. If you go after work, you get that nice wind down time before you have to do anything else. Walking is my favorite form of exercise because its a good time to relax and enjoy the outdoors. Good luck!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And you get to the place where if you miss a day...you really, really miss it!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

And, you start feeling guilty about it, too.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Well, since I don't do guilt, I just get restless...needing to get out and MOVE! I used to love to walk with these elderly people who would look for you every morning....and they were speed demons!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Okay here is some general: I dug out my quesadilla maker last week. We got it a few years ago (not terribly expensive) because a cheese quesadilla is one thing that I can always eat. It sat in a cupboard for most of the time we had it-but I pulled it out, and I can't live without it! I just grate up a little bit of my Tillamook medium cheddar and Tillamook pepperjack (I am a snob about my cheeses, heh) and toss on a little bit of mild salsa, and it cooks in no time whatsoever. The best part is that I don't need to grease it or anything.

Livin, I think South Beach would be very good for you, but also consider a Mediterranean-style diet if possible-seafood, seasonal fruits and vegetables, nuts, pastas (in moderation), and so forth. I cannot agree enough with the comments about avoiding processed foods-and I think that this may be the perfect time for you to take a cooking class, so that you can learn the techniques in order to effectively prepare certain things. I find that the art of cooking itself is very fun, and I know that the foods I eat contain nothing that I don't want (ie meat, seafood, poultry, olives, yogurt, etc). With big things like soups, you can make large batches and then refrigerate/freeze individual portions to take as lunches.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3704678;
    lol I wish you did live closer norealitythere. I could use an excercise buddy. Actually right now I'm doing stuff with my DH. He can't do much because of his health issues but we're working on it.

I'm really hoping not to have to do insulin and just use meds.

Everytime I write something it comes out really awful. My head is messed up. Thanks for the advice all and lets just move on right now..
    Iyanla Vanzant has a word for that. She calls it "awful-izing". I love that word, and it just fits!

Moving On.....

MRD

South Beach is very Mediterranean based in my opinion. Lot of fresh veggies, fruits, low fat meats, some pasta and rice (mostly whole wheat and brown), but not a lot. And in quite a few people, it's reversed diabetes as long as they stay on it. The recipes are probably some of the best "diet" recipes I've ever had and Katlyn's blog has even more than the books and hers are free. I still make the fake mashed potatos out of califlower and the chocolate ricotta dessert (definetly need to put this in a food processor at high speed to get the graininess out of the ricotta.) But it's like a very rich and think chocolate mousse, especially if you use almond extract in it.
    We also still do the frittas for breakfast out of the books too. They are so good and so easy and the slices freeze well and reheat in the microwave for quick breakfasts.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm making applesauce today. My trees are loaded. I love having a huge bowl in the fridge and freezer bags in the freezer for the winter. Nothing better than homemade applesauce.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Gut that sounds fabulous. It's been pouring rain here for 2 days. I have to work, so hubby promised to make meatloaf and mashed califlower for dinner. I can't wait. But wish I had some applesauce for dessert.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread