+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I also like a bit of crushed fennel seed to my pizza sauce.

So found out I'm diabetic. I'm coping better with it than I thought I would. I don't really know what I'm supposed to be eating and dr. is sending me to a dietatian for education. But in the meantime, does anyone have any good recipes? Or know of any good websites where I can find such info. would be good too. The whole family is behind me on this and have decided that they will eat healthy also. (yes!!) Also any ideas for snacks or reviews for low sugar products would be useful too.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

When I had diabetes (prior to weight loss), I found Diabetic Cooking magazine to be a wonderful resource (with the exception of some of the artificial or processed stuff they use, such as Cool Whip, or anything with hydrogenated oils, high-fructose corn syrup, or artificial chemical sweeteners -- I substitute natural stuff, and if it involves sugar, I just use less, and then plan it into my overall carb count). I also found, overall, the dietary guidelines from the nutritionist to be good advice for sensible, healthy eating overall -- diabetes or not.
    Here's a link to the magazine's website: Diabetic Cooking Magazine
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Livin, I'm sorry to hear this. My mom who was diabetic was told by her nutrionist to cut WAY down on eating carrots. Very high in sugar.
    Fiber plays a huge part. If you eat an apple, the fiber in it takes it longer to digest, so the natural sugars don't enter your blood stream all at once, they are slowly released. So if you are going to eat something that may have high sugar (and natural sugars can count as sugar), make sure it's high fiber as well. That's why an apple is a better choice than apple juice.
    I know many diabetics that follow the South Beach diet and do really well with it. It's very low carb, low fat and high in fiber and protien and the recipes are really good.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks for the link Ellen. I've put it on my favorites and the recipes look pretty good.

I did not know that about the fiber/sugar connection. I think I have a SB diet cookbook around here somewhere...

If I can quit the smoking habit I can get this under control too. I just hate feeling lousy.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3702070;
    I also like a bit of crushed fennel seed to my pizza sauce.

So found out I'm diabetic. I'm coping better with it than I thought I would. I don't really know what I'm supposed to be eating and dr. is sending me to a dietatian for education. But in the meantime, does anyone have any good recipes? Or know of any good websites where I can find such info. would be good too. The whole family is behind me on this and have decided that they will eat healthy also. (yes!!) Also any ideas for snacks or reviews for low sugar products would be useful too.
    I get an email from Diabetic Living Weekly (Diabetic Living Magazine), they send tips on what to eat and some good recipes. Hope you feel better soon.

Livin4 - Sorry to hear about your diabetes. I have a friend who always felt rotten. Then she found out that she was diabetic, changed her eating habits and lifestyle and not only got her diabetes under control, but is now feeling better than she has in such a long time. I hope things go well for you too. Good luck.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Livin,
    I am sorry to hear this.
    In addition to dietary changes, I would suggest adding an exercise regimen - if you're not already doing this. That really helped everyone I know who has this illness.
    Also, I'd suggest staying away from so many of the processed foods that have become part of all our lifestyles.
    There's a lot of great information out there about maintenance of this illness, as it has become so prevalent in today's world.
    My next door neighbor was recently diagnosed and he made the above changes and, as a result, has it under control without need for medication.
    Much good luck to you, and please know that we are all real supportive here in the FORT.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

My brother was diagnosed about 5 years ago and made all the changes and took up bike riding. He rode his bike to work (about 5miles every day) and lost a bunch of weight. He can pretty much eat whatever he wants but I'm thinking he is still on some meds because he has a fondness for brandy.

I have started exercising. That's probably going to be the last biggest battle for me, as all my life have been very non-athletic.

This summer has sucked! in so many ways for me, thought I was dying at times. Such an emotional rollercoaster. Hopefully get the sugars under control and things will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3704123;
    My brother was diagnosed about 5 years ago and made all the changes and took up bike riding. He rode his bike to work (about 5miles every day) and lost a bunch of weight. He can pretty much eat whatever he wants but I'm thinking he is still on some meds because he has a fondness for brandy.

I have started exercising. That's probably going to be the last biggest battle for me, as all my life have been very non-athletic.

This summer has sucked! in so many ways for me, thought I was dying at times. Such an emotional rollercoaster. Hopefully get the sugars under control and things will be better.
    Oh, Livin, I wished I lived close by. I'd be able to motivate you.
    What you should do is find a buddy to exercise with you. That way, you each boost the other. Keep in mind that the most important key to sticking with an exercise program is finding something you like to do. Once you start releasing the endorfins, you will really get into it.
    Illness is very hard on the body and esp. the emotions. Once you get the sugars under contol, start exercising and try eating foods geared for this, you will start feeling great again, I'm sure.
    Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

Livin, I pulled out my SB diet book and reread the first part and it gives a lot of detail about the fiber sugar connection. He does mention that a lot of his patients were able to get off the insulin after being on the SB diet for a while. I really like the diet and the recipes and still use a lot of them. They concentrate on mostly fresh products. No processed foods. I find that the recipes are really tasty and healthy and there is a blog online that has even more recipes. I recently posted a recipe for tomato and cuke salad (and told you you could add pasta to it) and it was a SB recipe from this blog. I'll find the link and post it.

You will feel so much better. I know a couple people that once they started eating healthier and exercising, they were amazed at how much better they felt.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread