+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I'm making BBQ Chicken tonight and my husband was trying to be helpful. Or he was just bored because he's had 3 days off in a row. Anyway, he cut up the chicken and I have no idea how someone can mangle a poor chicken as badly as that man did. I caught him when he was almost finished and by then the damage was done. We raise our own chickens and they are quite a bit larger than the birds you can get in the store. Maybe this one was a bit smaller, (like he says), but I can't figure out what he did with the meat. It just seems like there should be more. It will be fine though, maybe just won't take as long to cook. I think he will be just as glad to get back to work tomorrow as I will be to have him go.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3692335;
    I just attempted to make homemade pizza sauce. Key word: attempted.

It looks kind of strange but it tastes good. I have a ton of Roma tomatoes in my garden and I don't eat them. I bought my house a few months ago and they just started growing. I threw some onions, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and tomatoes in a saucepan and hoped for the best.

It would be pretty hard to screw up such a basic recipe but I guess I thought it would look more like the store bought stuff. Mine is kind of runny and orangish.
    I thought I posted this story somewhere around here, but I sure can't find it. My brother is an excellent cook, but the one cuisine he's not very experienced with is Italian. One day while I was staying with him and his family, he decided to make pasta sauce from scratch. They had a big, beautiful garden with lots of fresh herbs, so he had this romantic notion of making sauce from scratch and tweaking it - adding herbs, seasoning, etc. - all day until it was perfect. Well, cut to us - me, my brother, his wife and her 12-year old daughter - sitting down to eat. We all take a bite...and then another.....silence. Finally, my sil says "Honey, this is crappy." Only she didn't say "crappy." He was completely crushed because, yes, she was absolutely right: it was awful. My niece was just happy she didn't have to eat the stuff! His problem is that he didn't use a recipe, which is pretty important when you're a first timer with a dish.

I guess my point is that even really great cooks mess it up sometimes. Give it another try!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3693061;
    I dont' have a trader Joes or I'd shop there. Closest one to me is over 2 hours away in Atlanta and I'm NOT driving to Atlanta just for TJ's
    I actually prefer Carr's crackers, but of course, if I like it, then my family turns their nose up at it. I especially like Carrs cracked pepper crackers.
    I like Carr's, too -- and I've seen two of the brands I'd mentioned (Vinta, Kashi) in regular supermarkets, sometimes in the health food aisle, sometimes tucked in with the "big name" crackers -- not just Whole Foods, which I'm boycotting anyway. I just get 'em at TJ's because it's cheaper and, lucky for me, convenient.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I saw on, my morning news show today, that Whole Foods sticker tags on their produce are edible. I kid you not. Of course, I could also be the only person on the planet who did not know that.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3699908;
    I saw on, my morning news show today, that Whole Foods sticker tags on their produce are edible. I kid you not. Of course, I could also be the only person on the planet who did not know that.
    I didn't know that either. I just checked out the sticker on my Sonoma Chicken Salad as I ate lunch. That sticker doesn't look like anything I would want to eat! I'll see if Mr. Doxie will try it when he gets home. He'll eat just about anything once!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Hmmm. Maybe I should have read Shay's post more closely. I didn't catch the "on their produce" part. So, Mr. Doxie tried to eat the sticker (bar code and all) on our container of chicken salad FYI - he said "it tastes like paper" and didn't speak to me for awhile.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3701424;
    Hmmm. Maybe I should have read Shay's post more closely. I didn't catch the "on their produce" part. So, Mr. Doxie tried to eat the sticker (bar code and all) on our container of chicken salad FYI - he said "it tastes like paper" and didn't speak to me for awhile.

So does Henry take after him or he after Henry?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3701424;
    When I read your post, I was a little concerned about that, but I figured you guys were doing what you were doing for a reason, so I stayed out of it!

"...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

A little more fiber in your diet never hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3692335;
    I just attempted to make homemade pizza sauce. Key word: attempted.

It looks kind of strange but it tastes good. I have a ton of Roma tomatoes in my garden and I don't eat them. I bought my house a few months ago and they just started growing. I threw some onions, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and tomatoes in a saucepan and hoped for the best.

It would be pretty hard to screw up such a basic recipe but I guess I thought it would look more like the store bought stuff. Mine is kind of runny and orangish.
    Adding one more idea to the pot: I make a barrel of tomato sauce every year for the freezer and I always add a can of tomato paste to give it body, as well as using a ladle to skim off some of the clear liquid from the top. I find that if I have to cook it long enough for it to thicken without the paste that it tends to turn an odd colour and lose some of its flavour.

Also, to my mind, pizza sauce needs oregano, preferably dried, but that's up to individual taste.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread