+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3692329;
    What is up with crackers lately? I have noticed the last few times I've bought Ritz or Saltines, that they crumble when touched. I have half a sleeve of Ritz crackers that can't be used for anything because they break when you just barely touch them. Same for saltines. And godforbid you need to spead something on them, they fall apart.
    These are the name brands too. Are they making them with cheaper products or something now? It's ridiculous.
    I wonder if it has anything to do with the new evil fat they're not allowed to use... transfatty acids, whatever. What am I trying to say?
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I use fat-free Premium saltines, and they are the most delicious things ever. They are crispy to the point of making regular saltines taste like they are stale. They taste exactly like the regular saltines except for the crisp factor. The price is the same. Once I tried them, I never went back to the old ones.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I haven't had any problems at all with any of the brands of crackers I get at Trader Joe's (Vinta, Kashi, Trader Joe's Stoneground Wheat) -- and they've never contained hydrogenated- nor partially-hydrogenated oils (trans-fats).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I dont' have a trader Joes or I'd shop there. Closest one to me is over 2 hours away in Atlanta and I'm NOT driving to Atlanta just for TJ's
    I actually prefer Carr's crackers, but of course, if I like it, then my family turns their nose up at it. I especially like Carrs cracked pepper crackers.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3692335;
    I just attempted to make homemade pizza sauce. Key word: attempted.

It looks kind of strange but it tastes good. I have a ton of Roma tomatoes in my garden and I don't eat them. I bought my house a few months ago and they just started growing. I threw some onions, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and tomatoes in a saucepan and hoped for the best.

It would be pretty hard to screw up such a basic recipe but I guess I thought it would look more like the store bought stuff. Mine is kind of runny and orangish.
    Runny and orangish means you need to cook it down more. How long did you let it cook for? also add a bit of sugar to cut the tomato acidity. I usually cook mine for at least 2 hours on low heat and watch closely.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3693101;
    Runny and orangish means you need to cook it down more. How long did you let it cook for? also add a bit of sugar to cut the tomato acidity. I usually cook mine for at least 2 hours on low heat and watch closely.
    I think I only cooked it for around 30 minutes total. The recipe online said 10 minutes but it just wasn't ready. My friend mentioned sugar, and I was like "huh?" I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.
    Wake up and be awesome

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It seems like "a little sugar" goes into almost everything...for the better. I put "a little sugar" in my cabbage, sausage, potatoes, and onions and it was fantastic! You could just bareyl, barely taste the sweet; I am not much of a fan of sweet and savory together.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Adding a tiny bit of sugar to foods like that is akin to adding a pinch of salt to sweets. They work together in concert to bring out the other flavors or perform a specific action like reducing acidity, etc. (I watch Alton Brown's Good Eats, where he explains why food does what it does in addtion to giving great cooking tips. I like understanding why something works in the kitchen)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've got a batch of bean soup in the crock pot, courtesy of that great sale at the Honey Baked Ham store. The house smells amazing!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3693144;
    I think I only cooked it for around 30 minutes total. The recipe online said 10 minutes but it just wasn't ready. My friend mentioned sugar, and I was like "huh?" I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.
    You got lucky, having your own Romas in your backyard.
    Did you puree the tomatoes first? I'm sure you did. The recipe may have started with tomatoes that had already been cooked down, and then they added the other ingredients to make sauce.
    Romas hold their shape when you cook with them, they don't break down like other tomatoes and so I always peel and puree mine for sauce and cook them down or cook until it has thickened up (most of the water is gone) and then add my other ingredients. It sounds like they weren't cooked long enough, I've done that myself and they do look orange. I would try what livin recommended.
    I peel and chop some up and stick in freezer bags to add to soups, chilli, and stews.

+ Reply to Thread