+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I've been cooking several dishes recently that call for Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce, but they generally call for just one pepper or some of the sauce. Anyone have an idea about how to freeze this stuff so it can be used again? Just freezing the whole rest of the can in Tupperware doesn't seem to work so well. I just hate the idea of wasting the rest of the can.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You might find this link helpful. There's recipe suggestions on what to do with the leftovers as well as freezing instructions,
    Leftover Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, what to make? - Home Cooking - Chowhound

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3691819;
    You might find this link helpful. There's recipe suggestions on what to do with the leftovers as well as freezing instructions,
    Leftover Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, what to make? - Home Cooking - Chowhound
    Thanks, Bunny!

Wow, some of those people really love chipotles! My problem is that they're a bit too hot for me. I used ONE pepper in a whole huge recipe of cassoulet and I even removed the seeds and it was just hot enough. I'm sure it would have blown my hat off if I'd left the seeds in!

I think I'll be freezing the peppers individually and then freezing tablespoons of the adobo sauce as well.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Well when I have a kitchen disaster, it's usually spectacular. Made a peach cobbler last night and it was awful. My daughter's soon to be inlaws were here and believe me, this was not the time for a failure. Because the mom complained about EVERYTHING, criticized everything and I didn't need to give her another reason for more criticism. I don't know what happened. The batter failed to set and the peaches did not get done despite me cooking it about 15-20 min. longer than it called for. BUT, I thought the hot peaches were spectacular served over ice cream. So I was able to salvage it somewhat, just not enough to avoid more criticism.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3691895;
    Thanks, Bunny!

Wow, some of those people really love chipotles! My problem is that they're a bit too hot for me. I used ONE pepper in a whole huge recipe of cassoulet and I even removed the seeds and it was just hot enough. I'm sure it would have blown my hat off if I'd left the seeds in!

I think I'll be freezing the peppers individually and then freezing tablespoons of the adobo sauce as well.

I'm thinking they sell them in a tube? or someway to do long term storage. Although I could be completely wrong.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

mrd, that just sucks about the peach cobbler. Your new in-law doesn't sound like she deserves dessert anyway.

MRD

What is up with crackers lately? I have noticed the last few times I've bought Ritz or Saltines, that they crumble when touched. I have half a sleeve of Ritz crackers that can't be used for anything because they break when you just barely touch them. Same for saltines. And godforbid you need to spead something on them, they fall apart.
    These are the name brands too. Are they making them with cheaper products or something now? It's ridiculous.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I just attempted to make homemade pizza sauce. Key word: attempted.

It looks kind of strange but it tastes good. I have a ton of Roma tomatoes in my garden and I don't eat them. I bought my house a few months ago and they just started growing. I threw some onions, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and tomatoes in a saucepan and hoped for the best.

It would be pretty hard to screw up such a basic recipe but I guess I thought it would look more like the store bought stuff. Mine is kind of runny and orangish.
    Wake up and be awesome

Myrosiedog - I thought of you today when I was at Walmart. (No... NOT that story!! ) I was looking at saucepans because I totally burned one of mine beyond recognition (another story ) and I saw they have a Paula Deen collection. They look like nice pans but I had to laugh when I saw a 1 quart saucepan and the name on the label said, "1 Quart Butter Melting Pan". Who else but Paula Deen would need a pan that big to melt butter in? I know MRD is a fan of Paula. Her recipes look delicious but if I ate like that they'd have to call me "Big-Bit".
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

MRD

Lil Bit, that is too funny. I am both repulsed and fascinated by Paula. I do use some of her recipes, but we do NOT eat like that every day.

+ Reply to Thread