+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree455Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

You can make watermelon puree and freeze it for watermelon pops or smoothies.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Does anyone know if savory can be substituted with another spice in a recipe? What about coriander?

I'd also like to make a cold pasta dish for labor day. Something maybe with feta cheese..any ideas would be appreciated.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The pasta salad got slammed all to heck on Top Chef last night. It looked interesting but, apparently, it was bland. In fact, I've never tasted a pasta salad that wasn't bland, but I am not a fan of bland foods...but some people are.

Fred Meyer sounds like it's put together like Meijer, which I dearly love...and Meijer is HUGE, too! There is nothing like one stop shopping. I've learned that when I go in a store that is huge, or that I am not familiar with, I immediately put the store phone number in my cell phone and, if/when I get frustrated and lost, I call the desk, tell them where I am, and ask where the area/product is for which I am looking. Keeps me from getting frustrated and negative.

I didn't now that those little watermelons are called 'personal melons'...I thought that those are what hangs on the front of my chest! Just kidding! Since I can't eat melons, I never even gave it a thought. Interesting, though. That answer might be helpful on Jeopardy, one day!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3688645;
    Does anyone know if savory can be substituted with another spice in a recipe? What about coriander?

I'd also like to make a cold pasta dish for labor day. Something maybe with feta cheese..any ideas would be appreciated.
    I posted a great recipe for tomato and cucumber salad in the recipes thread not long ago. Has marinated chick peas and also feta cheese. Well I adjusted it and added some pasta and black olives, but kept the original balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing and it was really good. I used Orzo pasta, but I think a bigger pasta would actually work better. But orzo was on hand. I just needed to add more of the dressing than the original recipe due to the pasta.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The caterer did a really good pasta salad at my brother's wedding. It was orzo with sliced black olives, green onions, celery and shrimp (the little ones) in a mayo base. I always meant to ask for the actual recipe, but I never did.

My mom does one with the tri-color fusilli, steamed broccoli and cubed cheddar with a mayo base and maybe some parsley. It's very good, but not even remotely healthy....even with the broccoli!

You could certainly add feta to most pasta salad recipes. I think pasta salad is sort of like soup - you can pretty much add whatever you've got and it will still be good!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3685932;
    What is the difference between broth and stock? Are they interchangeable?
    I think stock is made with the bones, broth with the other ... parts, and so stock is a stronger flavor.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Thanks for the suggestions MRD and Critical. I looked for orzo at my grocer but couldn't find it. I'll have my brother pick up something a little bigger. Also got some marinated artichokes, black olives, allspice. They didn't have savory or coriander (which I need for another recipe) My grocery store sucks.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

My favorite pasta salad is my mom's. It's bow tie pasta, with tuna, black olives, peas or spring peas, and a olive oil and spicy mustard dressing. It's really different and packs a lot of flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3691255;
    My favorite pasta salad is my mom's. It's bow tie pasta, with tuna, black olives, peas or spring peas, and a olive oil and spicy mustard dressing. It's really different and packs a lot of flavor.
    That sounds delicious. You wouldn't be willing to post the recipe would you?
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'd be happy to! And it calls for fresh snow peas, not spring peas.

Mustard and Tuna Pasta Salad

+ Reply to Thread