+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree455Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I compromised - my son's been whining for brownies for 3 days, so boxed brownies with walnuts instead of a 3 hour prep French dessert. The Boeuf Bourguignon was a hit! My daughter loved it. I thought it was good, but I make a pretty good beef stew with much less prep time. I'd make it again for a special occasion, but I'll make my own stew for family.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3675699;
    Absolutely!

I only got corn dogs - one for dinner and one for lunch! These were like uber corn dogs too. Good polish dogs and a nice crispy outside. I wanted a funnel cake, but I was so tired at the end of the day, that I gave up. I'm not so into all the other fried stuff, but the whole "on-a-stick" phenomenon is hysterical. The Orange County Fair (which I grew up going to and working at) debuted Pizza-on-a-stick and eggroll-on-a-stick one year and I was

Maybe I'll go back again - the fair just opened Friday and will be on for another few weeks - and try for a funnel cake. I didn't get much time to look around either, since I was demo-ing in one of the arts buildings.

Cal Expo, which is where the state fair is held, is gigantic. I pretend that the walk to the car - at least a mile in awful heat - worked off at least one of those corn dogs

ETA: I'm about to break down and buy Julia's cookbook too. I have The Way to Cook and have referred back to it for years. It's more of a how-to on various basics of cooking. The bourguignon is one of the main reasons I want that cookbook - it's one of my favorite dishes and I'm sure Julia's version is divine. A good friend of mine has really turned me on to the joys of French food in the last few years and I'd love to start cooking it myself.
    I have never tried a fried twinkie or snickers bar. I would like too, but have never had the opportunity. I haven't been to a fair in years.

I think the whole food on a stick thing is funny too, but it makes it easy to eat when you are walking around. I think they should make a taco on a stick.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have a baking question. I occasionally make a brown sugar and yogurt/sour cream cake with big chunks of fruit. I bake it in a lasagna pan for 50-60 minutes. We are going away for a couple of days and I would like to make it with with some apple and raisins in the more easily transportable cupcake form. Does anyone have any idea how long I would need to bake them for? This is the only cake I ever make (really the only one I actually like), and I have never made cupcakes in my life, so I am completely unable to recalculate based on experience.

Thanks for any help.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Sounds yummy... I make cupcakes more often than full-sized cakes, and would say check them before 20 min but perhaps expect 22-25 min for doneness?
    remember to play

Thanks! I will give 20-25 minutes a try and see what happens. Another issue is that my stove is exceedingly unreliable and my very reliable toaster oven is far too small and this is why I don't and won't be baking often until we get a replacement.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What is the difference between broth and stock? Are they interchangeable?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

What is the difference between broth and stock? Are they interchangeable?
    They're pretty much the same thing, although broth is usually clear.

Okay all you bargain shoppers, heads up!

I just got back from a monster grocery trip and got some great deals. I'm not sure if it's just regional or not, but the Honey Baked Ham Store has a coupon out for 50% off everything. I didn't have the coupon, but they gave me the discount when I mentioned it. I think the coupon was in the newspaper, but I'm honestly not sure. I got two large ham bones and a soup mix for $10.50.

Also, Smart and Final has seedless watermelon for $2.99. These aren't the little, personal melons either. I weighed the one I bought and it's 19 pounds! You have to use their little discount card or it's $4.99.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The local grocery store has personal watermelons 3/$5 this week, but I seriously don't need three.

On the note of food, when I go shopping we go to a fairly large supercenter-style store (Fred Meyer) where you can grocery, school, jewelry, and clothes shop all under one roof. Being used to shopping there and Trader Joe's makes prices everywhere else look astronomical.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I wish we had one of those supercenters around here, although I always got lost in Fred Meyer when I lived in a town that had one! It was SO big I could never find what I was looking for. I'd just end up frustrated.

I generally shop the local farmers markets, TJ's and, lately, Smart and Final. If I have coupons, I'll go to Safeway, but the one near my house is so tiny that I rarely find what I need.

I've been trying to eat healthier, so I can generally stick to the farmers market and buy other stuff on coupon and I'm good to go

3 watermelon for $5? Holy crap. I wouldn't know what to do with them all. It's going to be a stretch for me to get this nearly 20 lb monster eaten!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread