+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree399Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3675169;
    I went to the state fair today and had not one, but two corndogs. They were really good. That is all

My diet starts tomorrow
    All diet plans are left at the gate during state fairs. You may pick them up again when you leave.

I can't believe it's almost fair time again. I can almost taste the fried goodies now...fried mushrooms, fried snickers, those tiny little donuts that are so good I could pretty much inhale the whole bag in one sitting...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3675441;
    Our 2 copies of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking arrived in the mail yesterday (one for me, one for my daughter). I saw the movie "Julie & Julia" twice already. Am I a geek or what?
    I saw the movie and have been wanting to order that book too. I feel like I can master the art of French cooking too.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3675169;
    I went to the state fair today and had not one, but two corndogs. They were really good. That is all

My diet starts tomorrow
    I love corndogs at the fair. They just dont' taste as good anywhere else.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3675465;
    I saw the movie and have been wanting to order that book too. I feel like I can master the art of French cooking too.
    I'm going to tackle the Beef Stew featured in the movie today for a going away dinner for my daughter (starts college tomorrow). If all goes well, I may even try the queen of sheba (chocolate) cake they smear all over their faces for dessert.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3675441;
    Our 2 copies of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking arrived in the mail yesterday (one for me, one for my daughter). I saw the movie "Julie & Julia" twice already. Am I a geek or what?
    I love that movie, want to see it again, and add the DVD to my "food and wine" movie collection as soon as it's released! (Guess that makes me a bigger geek . . . )
    And as soon as the weather gets chilly, I want to make the Boeuf Bourguignon.
    Last edited by Ellen; 08-23-2009 at 02:35 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

The Boeuf Bourguignon is in the oven and it smells divine!!! I'm crazy making it on a hot day, but this is a special occasion. I'm going to make the chocolate cake, too, but one question: I have a ton of unsweetened chocolate squares and it calls for semi-sweetened. Can I use those and add sugar or corn/Karo syrup? HELP!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3675451;
    All diet plans are left at the gate during state fairs. You may pick them up again when you leave.

I can't believe it's almost fair time again. I can almost taste the fried goodies now...fried mushrooms, fried snickers, those tiny little donuts that are so good I could pretty much inhale the whole bag in one sitting...
    Absolutely!

I only got corn dogs - one for dinner and one for lunch! These were like uber corn dogs too. Good polish dogs and a nice crispy outside. I wanted a funnel cake, but I was so tired at the end of the day, that I gave up. I'm not so into all the other fried stuff, but the whole "on-a-stick" phenomenon is hysterical. The Orange County Fair (which I grew up going to and working at) debuted Pizza-on-a-stick and eggroll-on-a-stick one year and I was

Maybe I'll go back again - the fair just opened Friday and will be on for another few weeks - and try for a funnel cake. I didn't get much time to look around either, since I was demo-ing in one of the arts buildings.

Cal Expo, which is where the state fair is held, is gigantic. I pretend that the walk to the car - at least a mile in awful heat - worked off at least one of those corn dogs

ETA: I'm about to break down and buy Julia's cookbook too. I have The Way to Cook and have referred back to it for years. It's more of a how-to on various basics of cooking. The bourguignon is one of the main reasons I want that cookbook - it's one of my favorite dishes and I'm sure Julia's version is divine. A good friend of mine has really turned me on to the joys of French food in the last few years and I'd love to start cooking it myself.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3675617;
    The Boeuf Bourguignon is in the oven and it smells divine!!! I'm crazy making it on a hot day, but this is a special occasion. I'm going to make the chocolate cake, too, but one question: I have a ton of unsweetened chocolate squares and it calls for semi-sweetened. Can I use those and add sugar or corn/Karo syrup? HELP!
    I don't see why not. Does the cake call for other sugar or corn syrup? If so, I'd just add a bit more of it to taste after adding the melted chocolate. I tend to like chocolate things less sweet than what the recipe calls for, so when a recipe calls for semisweet chocolate, I usually use the unsweetened anyway, and then just add more sugar (or honey, or agave nectar, etc.) if it needs it.

Thanks - I think I'll try that. I don't like chocolate super-sweet, either. Now I'm trying to decide whether to even make it today. It calls for whipping egg whites and it is so hot and muggy I don't know if that will even work.
    Heh - I just checked the weather and it is 92% humidity. So I think I'll just run out in my air conditioned car and get a chocolate cheesecake or something from the bakery dept. of the grocery store.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 08-23-2009 at 06:13 PM.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3675784;
    Thanks - I think I'll try that. I don't like chocolate super-sweet, either. Now I'm trying to decide whether to even make it today. It calls for whipping egg whites and it is so hot and muggy I don't know if that will even work.
    Heh - I just checked the weather and it is 92% humidity. So I think I'll just run out in my air conditioned car and get a chocolate cheesecake or something from the bakery dept. of the grocery store.
    Good idea! High humidity makes whipped things, sugar, and flour really tricky for baking.

+ Reply to Thread