+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree476Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

They still make Herr's chips--our supermarket has the Steak, Hunt's ketchup, and a couple of other ones.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I was driving my daughter into work this morning and on the radio they were talking about reconstructed fast food made to look like high cuisine. It sounded funny so I googled it. There are several sites making things like faux frois gras out of hot dogs, creme brulee out of the custard filling in Dunkin Donuts, etc. Search under "fancy fast food" or "reconstructed fast food" if you're interested. Might make a fun theme party.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Anybody got a good, simple recipe for baked spaghetti?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kind of late but Pioneer Woman has a good baked spaghetti dish..

and the reason I'm here posting is because she just started another site called Tasty Kitchen. This one is geared more towards the readers submitting their recipes. Looks like a great place.

Tasty Kitchen – Favorite Recipes from Real Kitchens Everywhere!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Thanks for posting the Tasty Kitchen site, I've just spent a delightful hour over there and copied several yummy looking recipes.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

I was cleaning behind a table under/in front of the tv where things tend to fall behind and get trapped, and I found an old birthday card that said, "They found a secret room in the food pyramid. It is full of cake and ice cream!" I got a chuckle out of that. If only.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3643097;
    . . . fast food made to look like high cuisine. It sounded funny so I googled it. There are several sites making things like faux frois gras out of hot dogs, creme brulee out of the custard filling in Dunkin Donuts, etc. Search under "fancy fast food" or "reconstructed fast food" if you're interested. Might make a fun theme party.
    . . . or, given the hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated fats and high-fructose corn syrups, a big jump in business for Lipitor and Glucophage!
    But it *is* a funny theme party idea, I agree -- with the pink garden flamingoes, plastic leis, and kitschy costumes like the housedress muumuus and such!
    Last edited by Ellen; 08-12-2009 at 01:37 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I know that most of you are fans of Trader Joe's, but we don't have one here and I am in LOVE with Whole Foods.

They have delicious Hummus and I want to live in the cheese section or possibly under the olive bar. I saved an empty jar and have been storing my olives from WF in there - seems to keep a bit longer than in the plastic containers.

We got some "Sonoma Chicken Salad" from there earlier this week and it was to die for! I've probably had just about every variation of chicken salad that there is, but this was wonderful. It had walnuts and whole purple grapes and poppyseeds in it.

Whole Food's website has a ton of recipes too.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

I love WF too. But Fresh Market is the closest to me. WF is across town on the worst stretch of road. The traffic is awful out there. But that chicken salad sounds great.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We're supposed to be getting a Fresh Market near my parents' house soonish. Not sure when, but I'm sure we'll give it a try when it opens. We do already have Whole Foods (which we like, but it isn't as convenient), TJ's (which we don't care much for-- it's pretty small and the few times I've been in there, I'm struck by how inefficiently they've used the space), and Balducci's (we've been going there forever). But Fresh Market will be convenient...

+ Reply to Thread