+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

DH did his own variation of crash potatoes with pizza toppings. Yum!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Hep - that's about the age I starting cooking too. I think my first meal was some very mid-Western concoction involving cream of mushroom soup and potato chips!

I just made THE BEST meal. I've been craving Joe's Special for days but a) I didn't have the ingredients to make it and b) didn't want to spend the money to get it at Boudin's. So, I came up with my own sort of French version. I chopped up some onion and fresh Sage and sauteed them in butter, Then I added some ground turkey and browned it all up. Then I added the eggs and, right before they were done, I topped it all off with some truffle oil. OMG, it was SO good! I didn't have any mushrooms, but I'm going to use them the next time I make this.

I'll be so sad when winter comes and I have to actually BUY fresh herbs instead of just walking out and cutting them from the garden.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3614288;
    I made this today and it's really good. Thanks for sharing. I plan to keep it up and detox a little.
    I'm interested as well, but haven't yet found a bottle in which I can take 60 ounces of liquid to work every day. That's nearly two quarts, right?

Tonight I made polenta fries, using a Martha Stewart recipe. They came out pretty oily and a bit burnt, but I LOVE well-done polenta fries in a restaurant so I'm going to keep trying. I baked them in the oven.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3615718;
    I'm interested as well, but haven't yet found a bottle in which I can take 60 ounces of liquid to work every day. That's nearly two quarts, right?
    Yes, I make two quarts when I make it. You could possibly make it in a big pitcher and then pour it into a water bottle or canteen to take to work and have leftovers for when you came home.

It has a really mild flavor so I drink it with my meals and everything. I like it cold, so it works good having it in a pitcher and just being able to pour myself a nice cold glass of it.

I like to try new foods and found steak flavored potato chips today. They taste like steak! Crazy!
    Count your blessings!

I like to try new foods and found steak flavored potato chips today. They taste like steak! Crazy!

That might be something I like. What brand are they?
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

The bag says "Herr's" and then in big letters "Kansas City" and then "Prime Steak Flavor". I'm not familiar with it, but you never know what you'll find at the odd lots store.
    Count your blessings!

Thanks. That's a brand that I've never come across though.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

We have Herrs here and I've seen them in other states. Their website doesn't show them but on a google search they show up on some kosher food sites as being kosher. Maybe you are in a test market.

The odd lots store often gets stuff that has been discontinued, so maybe that's the case here. I'm not supposed to eat a lot of salt, so I only have 2 or 3 at a time, but each time it manages to surprise me that they actually taste like steak!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread