+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

Another way to get the air out of a bag for freezing: Fill your sink with hot water, have your food filled bags ready and dip ont in the sink until only an inch or two is above the waterline and seal the bag. I don't know why this happens, but the hot water forces almost all the air out of the bag.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks for all of the freezing hints!

I've already frozen our leftover blueberries and strawberries and am looking forward to getting some yummy fresh peaches to freeze as well.

My 91 year old great aunt added a few freezing ideas (after she had to turn up her hearing aids because she couldn't believe that I was telling her that I was interested in this ). She said that she used to just dice whole ripe tomatos over a bowl to save the juice and then add just a little bit of salt and a clove of garlic (peeled), stir, bag and freeze! That sounds easy and she said it was great for soups/sauces/stews. She also suggested cutting green/bell peppers into strips and freezing them on a cookie sheet like the berries.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Thank you to all that answered my sherry questions. I ended up substituting white wine (Reisling) for the recipe, as it only called for 1/4 cup. Dish turned out just fine. I think I will end up spending the $ on the cream sherry for the cake recipe I have. It is a really good cake After I make it, I will post the recipe. A former co-worker used to make it for potlucks, and I have yet to try it at home. Maybe this weekend.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am seriously craving cabbage, potatoes, and sausage!!! The main problem with that is that I know it will turn me every which way but loose!!! It has been years since I have indulged myself with that meal.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3604640;
    I am seriously craving cabbage, potatoes, and sausage!!! The main problem with that is that I know it will turn me every which way but loose!!! It has been years since I have indulged myself with that meal.
    That's one of those meals you do not eat if you have company later.

I am craving bread or crackers. I have done a detox this week and have limited myself to only fresh foods, nothing with any additives and no starches. So of course, I am craving starchy foods.
    But we had the best chicken last night made with ricotta, fresh tomatos and onions. Fabulous. (I guess ricotta probably has additives, but it was on the ok list of foods I can have)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Remember the "smashed potatoes" that were all the rage here a while back? I made them with little purple potatoes and topped them with sauteed shitake mushrooms and onions. Out of this world! Very filling and delicious. I'll be doing that again soon and often I think.
    Last edited by waywyrd; 07-25-2009 at 09:42 AM.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3611214;
    Remember the "smashed potatoes" that were all the rage here a while back? I made them with little purple potatoes and topped them with sauteed shitake mushrooms and onions. Out of this world! Very filling and delicious. I'll be doing that again soon and often I think.

That sounds really good. On foodgawkers the other day there was a blog where someone had made the crash hot potatos using sweet potatos and some type of spicy seasoning..
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3578635;
    Sure. It's 60 oz of water, 1 TBS of diet cranberry juice, 2 TBS of lemon juice, and one dandelion root tea bag(Celestial Seasonings Wellness tea). Drink all 60 oz daily for a week and you should lose 5-10 lbs depending on how much excess water weight you're carrying. I mix it up the night before and chill it in the fridge. It's better cold.
    I made this today and it's really good. Thanks for sharing. I plan to keep it up and detox a little.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Once you shed a lot of water weight like that, how quickly does it come back?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My daughter is 9 and my secret goal this summer is to get her cooking actual meals, not just cookies. The very first item she asked to make was those smash/crash potatoes. They are such a hit.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread