+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 495 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast
Like Tree528Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

soft cheeses like goat cheese do go bad more quickly than harder aged cheeses.

Some goat cheese does carry an amonia smell as well I've found, but I'd say your cheese had either reached it's expiration date or wasn't very good goat cheese to begin with.

But I'd go with goat cheese that hasn't gone past it's expiration.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I bought some leeks on special and did a great leek and potato soup with most of them. I have 2 left. What can I do with them that does not involve soup or quiche?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I need some turkey chili with wheat spaghetti!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3208207;
    I bought some leeks on special and did a great leek and potato soup with most of them. I have 2 left. What can I do with them that does not involve soup or quiche?
    I've used them in casseroles with other veggies and omit some of the onion the casserole calls for.

You know, I don't know that I've ever eaten a leek. I envision them like really huge green onions, which is what they look like. What do they taste like, and how do you use them?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

They kinda taste like onions, but not exactly. They are actually really good. I have found that there is not much you can do with them though. Aside from the famous leek and potato soup or vichyssoise (if eaten cold), the other most known uses for it are in a quiche or leek and goat cheese tartlet.

My aunt was known for her spinach dip. It never tasted like any other - turned out, she used Knorr leek soup mix instead of onion soup mix. It is just fantastic that way! I think that is the only way I ever had leeks - the freeze dried kind.

MRD

To me leeks have a very mild onion taste. But DR is right, I usually only see them in soups or in a quiche or tart.

And you don't use the green part like you can in green onions. It's too tough

Last night I had to get a little creative because I've been so sick it's been hard to hit the grocery store. I took some jalapeno cheese bread and put mayo/mustard, bacon and cheese on it, threw it in the oven for 10 minutes and the whole family loved it! We had a little salad on the side. Yum!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3210202;
    Last night I had to get a little creative because I've been so sick it's been hard to hit the grocery store. I took some jalapeno cheese bread and put mayo/mustard, bacon and cheese on it, threw it in the oven for 10 minutes and the whole family loved it! We had a little salad on the side. Yum!
    Ohh, I have half a loaf of that kind of bread. I know what I'm having for lunch now. Thanks.

I'm going to attempt to find/remember a recipe that I think prhoshay posted a while ago for chicken in the crockpot using stuffing mix and cream of mushroom soup.

I am trying to use up what I have on hand as that's just less I have to move.
    Plus, it's EASY. And EASY is my motto right now.

+ Reply to Thread