+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Premium Member

Re: General Food Talk

I've seen those little watermelons at a lot of stores, the super walmart here even has them. Maybe I'll have to try one. I've been buying those grocery store cantaloupes, if you let them sit out on the counter for a couple of days before you cut into them they are pretty good. It gets us by until later in August when the good Norfolk melons start showing up at the Farmer's Markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3485156;
    I never understood putting salt on watermelon. My dad did it all the time. Plugging it with lime vodka sounds like a plan though.
    I don't like salt on watermelon for just eating, but it works to bring out the flavor when making granita.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I am looking forward to the summer fruits and melons. Have any of you had the yellow fleshed watermelons? They are sooo sweet and delicious! Can't wait!!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3485443;
    Mr. Doxie is allergic to watermelon too. I LOVE watermelon though (and I do put salt on it sometimes) so I was delighted to find "personal watermelons" at Whole Foods. They are about the size of a honeydew melon and are seedless. I think they were about $4 but since I am sure that I can eat the entire thing before it goes bad, I'm going to get one when we return to Whole Foods tomorrow.

MRD: I haven't had watermelon rind pickles in years!!! Do you have a recipe? Are they easy to make?
    My dad used to put salt on watermelon too.

I have never made watermelon pickles, but they are good. I can probably find some around here, there's so many places that have canned stuff, from the farmer's markets to the produce stands.
    And let me look, because I have a lot of "southern" cookbooks that I know probably have a recipe I can send you.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

For you people who like sweets for breakfast, how long after you eat breakfast are you ready to eat again?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3486029;
    For you people who like sweets for breakfast, how long after you eat breakfast are you ready to eat again?
    I have a terrible sweet tooth. I eat breakfast around 5 am during the week, and usually have a small snack at 9 (a granola bar or banana or something similar). Then lunch at 11:30.

All this watermelon talk has me craving one. I don't care for salt on them, but I never eat a cantaloupe without a little salt. Weird.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3486327;
    I have a terrible sweet tooth. I eat breakfast around 5 am during the week, and usually have a small snack at 9 (a granola bar or banana or something similar). Then lunch at 11:30.

All this watermelon talk has me craving one. I don't care for salt on them, but I never eat a cantaloupe without a little salt. Weird.
    I just sliced up a cantaloupe, might have to try this salt thing. I've never tried putting salt on fruit before unless there was a margarita involved!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

MRD

It doesn't matter what I eat for breakfast, I am usually hungry again in about 1 1/2 hours. If I don't eat breakfast, I usually can make it to lunch without eating. But because I have hypoglycemia, I try to eat a granola bar when I first wake up.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I love salt on apples (a habit I'm trying to break, though). I can't eat an apple as is - I have to have some cheese or my new favourite, almond butter.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3486327;
    Cantelope without salt is just wrong. I grew up that way - I always thought it was a NE thing. Oddly, cantelope is about the only thing I put salt on - I am not a huge salt person.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

+ Reply to Thread