+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3472628;
    Do share please. Peaches are my favorite fruit. I just had a peach shake from Z'Kota for lunch as a matter of fact! Mmm...
    Post my "Carolina Crush" recipe in the just recipe threads. Also has the directions to make cobbler from it.
    The contreau is what really makes the cobbler the best I've ever had.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

After drooling over the Trader Joe's thread and wishing we had one here, we decided to check out Whole Foods. The store has been open for awhile, but we'd never gone there. I now want to move into their cheese department. I have never seen that much cheese in one place and I spent forever deciding what to get. They also have an olive bar (or... they HAD one before I arrived )and all sorts of yummy things. Sadly, we had eaten a late lunch right before we went there and I was so full that I could not cram as many free samples down my throat as I would have liked! I'll certainly be going back!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Whole Foods is great! Next time you go check out the snacks/nuts section (I can't remember exactly where I found it) because they have this great honey and sunflower seed bar kind of thing. It is sort of like a granola bar except with seeds and nuts. Their olive bars...
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

MRD

Is there anything you can do with watermelon besides just eat it as is? I was given a watermelon. I am not that crazy about them., but I don't mind them, but was trying to think if there is anything else besides fruit salad or watermelon rind pickles or plugging one with vodka that you can do with one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

You could puree the watermellon (sans the rind ) with just a little bit of water (don't make it too watery, just enough to get it slushy) some sugar to taste and freeze it into ice cube trays (I have special popsicle ones that are really cheap from walmart) and then enjoy some delicious watermellon popcicles. If you don't like the taste so much try adding some strawberries or other fruit to it.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Plugging them with lime vodka would be my first choice. Or going with that theme in a more G-rated sort of way would be to chunk it up, add some lime juice, a little salt, and a little sugar if you like it sweeter (I prefer it sans sugar, though) -- puree it all together in either a food processor or with a stick blender, toss it in some sort of container where it can sit shallow in the freezer, and scrape off the crystals every however often to make a granita. If you go to foodnetwork.com, you can find various granita recipes and adapt this one. There's no way you can frick this up, and even if you do, it'll still be yummy.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Premium Member

I never understood putting salt on watermelon. My dad did it all the time. Plugging it with lime vodka sounds like a plan though.

I took my DIL down to Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago because she found out she has to go on a gluten free diet. We were there shortly before lunchtime, so I picked up some yummy pulled pork to take home for dinner. They had a whole bar of different assorted barbecue items right next to the shrimp bar. I usually go there in the early mornings right after I get off work, so this was something I hadn't seen before.

I don't know the recipe, but I've heard of watermelon salsa. It sounded intriguing to me anyhow. MrCoz is allergic to watermelon so I very rarely have it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Yea, MrCoz. Thee, and me!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3485389;
    Yea, MrCoz. Thee, and me!!
    Mr. Doxie is allergic to watermelon too. I LOVE watermelon though (and I do put salt on it sometimes) so I was delighted to find "personal watermelons" at Whole Foods. They are about the size of a honeydew melon and are seedless. I think they were about $4 but since I am sure that I can eat the entire thing before it goes bad, I'm going to get one when we return to Whole Foods tomorrow.

MRD: I haven't had watermelon rind pickles in years!!! Do you have a recipe? Are they easy to make?
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread