+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree455Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Now see I cannot do eggs for breakfast. Adkins just about killed me! I much prefer the baked goods/fruit/meat/cereal even oatmeal, over eggs.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3454004;

Breakfast for dinner is a tradition in my family. My folks like pancakes, but I'm more of an omelet girl. I don't really like sweet breakfast foods....even for breakfast.
    when I lived in London, my flatmate used to make savory French toast - that was yummy!
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;3454595;
    when I lived in London, my flatmate used to make savory French toast - that was yummy!
    First of all, I am SO jealous that you lived in London. Second, what did it have in it? I have a recipe where you make regular french toast and then wrap it around sausage and eat it (so good!) Is that anything like what you had?
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3454352;
    Now see I cannot do eggs for breakfast. Adkins just about killed me! I much prefer the baked goods/fruit/meat/cereal even oatmeal, over eggs.
    I cannot do eggs for breakfast either I can eat them later in the day, but not much at breakfast. I'm also not a big sweet eater for breakfast. I actually prefer waffles or cereal or cold pizza for breakfast and only after I've been up for an hour or more.
    I do however, love breakfast for dinner. Then I can do eggs, omelets, pancakes, etc.
    And I don't like syrup which may be part of the sweet thing at breakfast.

Kimchee is interesting. I've had it a few times. I pretty much like anything pickled, but my family hates that stuff. I'm a big chutney and chow-chow fan, corn relish, anything like that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Speaking of sweets, I am making my signature S'mores Brownie Cake for a potluck for work. I bake two circular pans with brownies, put marshmallow fluff in between the two cakes and some crunched up graham crackers then another layer of marshmallow fluff on top and break up some more graham crackers over the marshmallow fluff then drizzle it with a layer of Hershey's ice cream chocolate shell (the stuff that hardens.)

It is uber sugary but soooo worth the calories!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3454219;
    Who knew you could even buy such a thing as quinoa pasta? Critical would they sell it in a health foods store? I know it wouldn't be at my grocer, they just now started selling the quinoa. I've been looking for almost a year now for this stuff.
    Since so many people are allergic to wheat gluten, there are a lot of wheat-free options out there now. I got the quinoa pasta at the local heath food co-op. I'm going to have to go back and get some more of it. Of all the wheat-free pastas I bought, this was the best. Vita Spelt makes a great spelt pasta, but I like their "processed" version rather than the whole grain variety. Not that the whole grain stuff is bad, but the other variety tastes just like regular semolina pasta
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Another great gluten free pasta (if you don't like the rice flour ones) is gluten free gnocci. It is potato based and you can substitute gluten free flour without it congealing into a giant blob monster. I'll post the recipe in the recipe thread if anyone's interested. It is really easy to make.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3454938;
    Speaking of sweets, I am making my signature S'mores Brownie Cake for a potluck for work. I bake two circular pans with brownies, put marshmallow fluff in between the two cakes and some crunched up graham crackers then another layer of marshmallow fluff on top and break up some more graham crackers over the marshmallow fluff then drizzle it with a layer of Hershey's ice cream chocolate shell (the stuff that hardens.)

That sounds soooo good.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3454938;

That sounds wonderful....Where is your office and what time should we be there...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Why do I not get as excited about desserts as so many other people? For me, they're just OK, and not really drool-worthy. I must have been standing in the wrong line when God gave out tastebuds for sweetness.

Cats do not have sweet receptors in their tastebuds, and mine seem to be greatly diminished judging from so many people around me. This just gives more credence to my theory that I may have been a cat in a former lifetime!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread