+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree381Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

We got a chicken and artichoke sausage from Sam's that was also divine. Needed nothing to go with it.

I received a most flattering call last night from an old friend I've known for 30 years. His mother and brother are opening a restaurant and they asked him if he would get a recipe for a breakfast casserole I make. The funny thing is that I haven't seen the mother or the brother in about 20 years, but they still remembered my casserole. They want to serve it in the restaurant. I said I would give it to them if they named it after me.
    Last edited by MRD; 05-15-2009 at 06:53 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Congratulations MRD! That is quite an honor!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Not sure which thread this belongs in, but do any of you grind your own coffee beans? I just recently bought the whole bean coffee, and it really IS better. I grind mine, then brew it in my percolator, and it is just as good as any coffeehouse!
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

MRD

I have in the past ground my own. Now I buy the whole beans at Fresh Market and use their grinder. Never buy the coffee pot/grinder in one. What a huge freaking mess to try to clean. They are hard to clean. The grinder on it's on is much better. I do prefer to grind my beans, but my grinder finally ground down (groan, bad pun. ) and I never replaced it, so I grind in the store.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3450995;
    That sausage sounds yummy, shay. I'm a fan of Trader Joe's smoked chicken and turkey pesto sausage for the same reasons - you hardly need to do anything to make the dish flavorful. I think they make one with asiago. Maybe I'll try it the next time I'm at TJ's.
    They do, and it's wonderful! And costs less than the same version at the regular supermarkets. I also like the chicken sausage with mango (goes great with the lime-coconut jasmine rice!) as well as the apple with something else.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Congrats, MRD, that breakfast dish must be great if they remember it after all these years.
    Can you please post it for us FORTER's to savor?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Is that the same breakfast casserole that you've told us about, in the past, around Christmas? (With hash browns and all kinds of yumminess in it?) If so, I've still got the recipe, but I haven't made it yet.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Made turkey chili today. Put water chestnuts in it, for the crunch. Looking forward to seeing how that works out. Why do we never make chili the same way twice? The last time, I added corn; that was good.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Iíve never understood why some people put sugar in their chili. I add vinegar, lots of garlic, and juice from a jar of hot peppers. What a zip!

Confession about weird food preferences: I sometimes put a glob of mayonnaise on pizza when I eat it. Also like a tossed salad with cut up sausage/bratwurst and a bit of sauerkraut.

I sometimes put in a teaspoon or so of sugar to chili or spaghetti sauce just to cut the acidity of the tomatoes. I also add lots of garlic and spices as well (we like it hot).

+ Reply to Thread