+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 485 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie;3201708;
    It's funny they don't even MENTION MacIntosh... That's what I've always used in pies and so did my mother and her mother before her...

Is there another name for them?
    I always use them as well if there is nothing else. My mom did as well and that's were I learned it from. I'm from MI, so it must definitely be a NE thing.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Has anyone had an opportunity to try the Sunkist Floats or the A&W Floats yet? They are bottled drinks that are being sold by the 4-pack in some stores now. I'm not a root beer afficionado at all, but they say that the Sunkist Floats taste like Creamsicles from "back in the day". Can't wait!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Ooo, those sound good, prhoshay! I love making ice cream floats in the summer, so I don't think I'll have any problem liking these. I'll have to keep an eye out next time I go shopping.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

MRD

Last week, I was assigned to do a history of chocolate and was handed Paula Deen's special Chocolate edition magazine. Well I made a recipe out of it tonight for guests and it was FABULOUS!!!
    Tomorrow when I have more time, I'll post it. It was for Snickers Snack Cake.
    There are about 40 recipes in there I want to try. I may have to go buy the actual magazine for myself as this one is a "loaner".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3202260;
    Has anyone had an opportunity to try the Sunkist Floats or the A&W Floats yet? They are bottled drinks that are being sold by the 4-pack in some stores now. I'm not a root beer afficionado at all, but they say that the Sunkist Floats taste like Creamsicles from "back in the day". Can't wait!

I haven't tried it yet, but I will if I see them! Stuff like that is sometimes sold in certain parts of the country but not in other parts. Once in WI I happened upon Butterfinger flavored chocolate milk. It was SO good, but I never saw it anywhere else. In NYC, I once had pineapple Crush soda. mmmMMM, but they didn't have it at home in MN.

I LOVE creamsicles. I also LOVE Push-Ups. Remember those? They were the orange sherbet in that cylindrical paper thingie with a stick at the bottom that would push the sherbet up to the top of the paper. I don't see those anymore, I'd love to have one again.

Another thing that I've never had is a candied apple. I've always wanted to try one, but I never see them anywhere. Has anyone ever had one? Are they good?

They have push-ups still. I get them for my kids sometimes. They're in the freezer section of most grocery stores with the other ice cream novelties.

Candied apples are ok. I think you have to be a kid to really enjoy them, though. I haven't had one in ages because I just hate how it sticks to everything and all over my teeth and ugh, ugh, ugh!
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

MRD

I see candied and chocolate covered apples a lot around here. At the Farmer's Market, in the mall at a candy store there (I wanted to stop REALLY, REALLY bad), farm stands on the side of the road, the apple orchard, even the grocery store sells them.
    I don't like the gooey, sticky mess of red candied apples, as burntbrat said, it's a sticky mess and feels like it's going to pull my fillings out. I do like chocolate covered ones. But I'm also not a fan of the carmel apples. Remember having to unwrap ALL those Kraft Caramels to melt them to dip apples in?

I also see pushup pops in the grocery. The reason I remember seeing them is that I see them and think: Oh, I used to get those from the ice cream truck (and also it triggers the Van Halen song: "I'm Your Ice Cream Man". Yes, food and song often trigger memories for me.)

One year a friend got a package from QVC that was Mrs. Prindibles apples. OH MAN!! She shared and were they EVER good. Google them and you'll see what I mean. Chocolate and carmel covered apples rolled in ALL sorts of toppings including M&M's and oreo cookies.
    I almost wish I could order a box of them, but I must not, must, must not.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I loved the red candy apples rolled in nuts. I think I must love any candied apples, but I've never understood the ones with the red, hard candy shell.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Dang! All of you have push ups? I seriously can't find them in my grocery store...

What is the gooey stuff on the outside of the candied apple? I look for those everywhere too. My husband and daughter also keep an eye out for me, LOL. They know that I've always wanted to try one. None of us have ever seen them

I always see the candied apple kits and caramel kits right in the produce section of the grocery store, right near the apples.

I like both, but find that I like the ones made at home better. Seems whenever we are out and about and see candied or caramel apples being sold, the apples are HUGE! I guess I must prefer eating smaller apples!

+ Reply to Thread