+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree521Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Off subject but they are doing a segment on White Castle burgers on "The Secret Life of" on Food Network...I am really wanting to try one more than ever! But, I will have to get them in the freezer section of Safeway since I am on the west coast.

MRD

Have a friend coming to visit that I haven't seen in 2 years. She loves my cooking and I love cooking for her. She has requested only 2 things: fried chicken and potato salad. One's easy, one's a labor of love as it's not so easy (I marinate the chicken overnight in buttermilk, then coat in the morning and then recoat again before frying and then fry). But I'm so happy she's coming that I don't mind the frying. My family is over the moon as I usually only fry chicken about once a year.

I picked up a seafood medley (frozen) at Publix yesterday that was $3.99 a pound. The price was fantastic and I figured I could make something with it. It has shrimp, scallops, squid, crab, clams, mussels, cod. I want to make a kind of stew with it. There's an italian type seafood stew called ciapinno, I think? Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Cioppino is great -- and the Food Network Web site has several chefs' variations on it, so you can pick a recipe that best suits your taste, or get ideas to mix and match to come up with your own.

Another idea (from some of the Italian and seafood restaurants here in San Diego) is to cook the seafood in a basic concoction of olive oil (some also add butter), white wine, and garlic to make a light sauce, and serve it over a good handcrafted fettucini or linguini.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Found the Ciopinno recipes on food network and think I'm going with that. They sound good. Can I substitute celery for fennel? I'm not a huge fennel fan.

Cioppino is really just a fish stew generally made with the catch of the day. You can throw whatever you like into it....the main thing is to not OVERcook the seafood....in fact the secret is to slightly undercook the seafood as it continues to cook even when you turn the heat off. Here in SF, a half of a dungeness crab is usually thrown in and so most restaurants serve cioppino with a bib! We usually just serve it with a nice sourdough baguette or you can serve it over pasta but the focus of the dish is the seafood. Enjoy....I hope it turns out great!

A large locally based chain of grocery stores here is going out of business. They have everything (including fixtures) on sale 25 -50% off this week and will discount everything that is left next week. Mr. Doxie LOVES to grocery shop and also loves bargains, so we went to one of the stores yesterday.

I basically went to stop him from buying 40 cans of something because "it was on sale".... We did find some very good deals and stocked up on a lot of staples. The funny part was that, as the shelves have started emptying, the employees are moving everything to the shelves in the center of the store. So, there is NO order to this.... We found cans of tomato sauce on three different aisles. It was kind of like a treasure hunt.

The only thing that wasn't on sale was the wine and that gets marked down on Saturday. I think we are going to go back for that. Oh - and I also spent several gleeful minutes watching two old ladies duke it out over a giant bottle of Metamucil....
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3449581;
    A large locally based chain of grocery stores here is going out of business. They have everything (including fixtures) on sale 25 -50% off this week and will discount everything that is left next week. Mr. Doxie LOVES to grocery shop and also loves bargains, so we went to one of the stores yesterday.

I basically went to stop him from buying 40 cans of something because "it was on sale".... We did find some very good deals and stocked up on a lot of staples. The funny part was that, as the shelves have started emptying, the employees are moving everything to the shelves in the center of the store. So, there is NO order to this.... We found cans of tomato sauce on three different aisles. It was kind of like a treasure hunt.

The only thing that wasn't on sale was the wine and that gets marked down on Saturday. I think we are going to go back for that. Oh - and I also spent several gleeful minutes watching two old ladies duke it out over a giant bottle of Metamucil....

Oh that it too funny,
    Now me, I'm like Mr. Doxie, I would have bought 40 cans of tomato sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3449581;
    . . . The only thing that wasn't on sale was the wine and that gets marked down on Saturday. I think we are going to go back for that. . .
    There was a supermarket (just a low-earning branch of a major chain) about a mile away from here that closed last month. It had some real gems in its wine department, and I scored some good half-price deals on wines I'd wanted to try earlier but had balked at the price tag. Happy shopping!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've just been introduced to Spinach and Asiago Chicken Sausage! I cannot begin to describe to you how good it was!! It is really ugly to look at, but the taste (kind of spicy) is to die for!!! This particular sausage is the Member's Mark brand from Sam's Club. You can grill it, put it under the broiler, or fry it in a little olive oil. Didn't require any kind of condiments at all...which says loads to me. Very, very good!! If you have the chance, don't look at it and run in the opposite direction...you will have missed a treat! I had never seen nor heard of it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

That sausage sounds yummy, shay. I'm a fan of Trader Joe's smoked chicken and turkey pesto sausage for the same reasons - you hardly need to do anything to make the dish flavorful. I think they make one with asiago. Maybe I'll try it the next time I'm at TJ's.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread