+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

  1. #1071
    shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    michigan
    Age
    51
    Posts
    6,746

    Re: General Food Talk

    i've never had white castle, but a co-worker who grew up in detroit gets a big bag everytime he goes home to visit mama

    i saw how they make them on the food network show "unwrapped" and i can see why they taste so good (onion adds some awesome flavor to meat).

  2. #1072
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,633

    Re: General Food Talk

    *lalalalafingersinmyearsoverwh itecastlesliderslalalala* My family is from the Midwest, so I grew up hearing about WC. We used to go there whenever we visited family. The frozen ones are pretty good, but they don't hold a candle to fresh.

    I'm about to go wheat-free again, so tonight was my last hurrah. I had a wild mushroom and truffle flatbread from Trader Joe's. OMG = It was SO good! I was totally stuffed, but it was the perfect decadent thing to eat right before I detox off wheat.

    I'm not allergic to gluten or anything: I just feel better when I'm not eating wheat. Plus, I tend to lose weight when I go off wheat, so that's a nice incentive. Ezekiel bread and quinoa pasta, here I come!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  3. #1073
    FORT Fanatic CaliLily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    689

    Re: General Food Talk

    Going off of wheat is the BEST diet! I did it for 3 months last year and lost 40 lbs without hardly trying. Too bad I like pasta too much... BTW, don't eat the gluten free pasta. It all congeals into one giant blob and refuses to seperate. The taste isnt too bad if you can get past the blob visual.

    Good luck!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

  4. #1074
    Wonky snarkmistress Lucy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Playing kickball for the beer
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,870

    Re: General Food Talk

    I thought wheat bread was supposed to be good for me? What exactly do you do when you "go off wheat"? Because losing 40 pounds without trying sounds awesome.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

  5. #1075
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,633

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3435402;
    Going off of wheat is the BEST diet! I did it for 3 months last year and lost 40 lbs without hardly trying. Too bad I like pasta too much... BTW, don't eat the gluten free pasta. It all congeals into one giant blob and refuses to seperate. The taste isnt too bad if you can get past the blob visual.

    Good luck!
    I've tried a bunch of different gluten-free pastas and the ones that congeal like that are generally made from rice flour. The best one is VitaSpelt, made from spelt flour. It holds it shape and has a good texture. They even make a variety that is processed to look and taste like regular semolina pasta. Corn flour pasta is okay. Quinoa pasta is new since I was last off wheat. I thought I'd give it a try though.

    Lucy - going "off wheat" just means cutting out anything with wheat flour in it, including processed flour. Since I'm not allergic to gluten, I don't go as far as to cut everything - and there's surprisingly A LOT of food out there with gluten in it. I just cut the obvious stuff like breads and pastas.

    I thought wheat was 100% good for me too. Turns out that, for many people, wheat gluten can inhibit your insulin metabolism and can interfere with how your body absorbs calories: basically it can slow your metabolism. Not good. Like I said, it's not everyone, but a lot of people have this reaction to wheat. I know I feel better - less bloated, more energy, etc. - when I'm not eating wheat. It just sucks that so many foods I like happen to be made with wheat.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  6. #1076
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,319

    Re: General Food Talk

    Does anyone know where I can buy Dusseldorf mustard off the shelf? Kroger used to carry it years ago, but they don't anymore. And Trader Joe's does not exist in my world.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  7. #1077
    FORT Fanatic CaliLily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    689

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3435557;
    Lucy - going "off wheat" just means cutting out anything with wheat flour in it, including processed flour. Since I'm not allergic to gluten, I don't go as far as to cut everything - and there's surprisingly A LOT of food out there with gluten in it. I just cut the obvious stuff like breads and pastas.

    I thought wheat was 100% good for me too. Turns out that, for many people, wheat gluten can inhibit your insulin metabolism and can interfere with how your body absorbs calories: basically it can slow your metabolism. Not good. Like I said, it's not everyone, but a lot of people have this reaction to wheat. I know I feel better - less bloated, more energy, etc. - when I'm not eating wheat. It just sucks that so many foods I like happen to be made with wheat.

    I have a disease called Celiac Disease that I was diagnosed with late last year. It basically means that I am allergic to wheat and dairy products and shouldnt (I'm bad, I do anyway) eat either of those food groups at all. It isnt so severe that I puff up like a blow fish, I basically just get a really upset stomach/digestive system and feel like I am going to die when I eat it.

    I try to limit myself to the 'hidden' gluten products (ie- brown sodas, frozen meat that has been injected with flavoring, etc...) but every now and again I get too tempted and eat pizza or pasta. Most of the time I can settle for pizza with rice flour crust and cheese made from veggie oils, but sometimes you just gotta have some Pizza Hut.

    If anyone is interested in some great gluten free recipes just ask ir IM me and I will be happy to share. I also have a list of common foods like pizza, brownies, cookies, etc... that have mixes in most grocery stores that are gluten and dairy free and don't taste too different from the real thing.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

  8. #1078
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: General Food Talk

    Calilily, I have a friend with Celiac's. She's had it about 30 years and says its so much easier now than it was when she was diagnosed because back then you couldn't find gluten free anything. However, she has told me that she used to "cheat" like you did and at first it wasn't too bad, but it eventually got so bad that she was hospitalized and almost died and she has been totally gluten free for about 15 years now without cheating. So ask your doctor about what could happen if you do occasionally eat wheat and how that will impact you down the road.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  9. #1079
    RIP Billy Mays:'( Trista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: General Food Talk

    One of my favourite gluten-free food items are these Thai rice noodle packets sold at the local grocery store that come in a variety of flavours. I like the Bangkok Curry, and then I will add some mushrooms, green onions, and of course, a clove of garlic, and voila. A good meal. I recommended these to a lady at my church who also has to avoid wheat and she loves them.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

  10. #1080
    FORT Fanatic CaliLily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    689

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3442233;
    One of my favourite gluten-free food items are these Thai rice noodle packets sold at the local grocery store that come in a variety of flavours. I like the Bangkok Curry, and then I will add some mushrooms, green onions, and of course, a clove of garlic, and voila. A good meal. I recommended these to a lady at my church who also has to avoid wheat and she loves them.
    Those are great! They have a variety that come in a plastic bowl that you can microwave too. My fav is the garlic one.

    Best gluten free/cheese free food ever...tamales! I could eat them every day for every meal and never get sick of them!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.