+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree534Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Our late night hangout was Krystal and Krispy Kreme. In college we would take road trips to buy Krispy Kreme Donuts, boxes and boxes. They were great about 2 a.m.
    White Castle is good here, but I ate so many when I was pregnant with my son, I don't want them now... and that was 21 yrs. ago!

Ahh, we used to get White Castle when we were visiting my grandparents in New Jersey. Haven't had them in years, though, but they were good. I think my dad's rule of thumb was, "5 is enough, 6 is too many," when it comes to getting greased out.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3424364;
    White Castles are not only a food experience, but they are also a social experience. Since it's open 24 hours/day and was fairly inexpensive, a lot of kids congregate there after their school activities; after the clubs close (and everybody is feeling the alcohol), nothing tastes better than freshly cooked White Castles. When you've grown up with them, there is something seriously missing in your life if you move to where they are not. In college, we were known to load up a car and drive 120 miles just to get them, and jump right back on the expressway and return to school! It's a case of "When you gotta have them, you've gotta have them!" White Castle is where I learned about Dusseldorf Mustard....which is to die for! Every now and then, they may disagree with your system, but it doesn't seem to be too often. I'll bet you that a lot of people have some really great memories connected to White Castle!

Open your minds and try a food before you condemn it, people!
    They've been around this long for a reason!
    How much are these little buggers? And do you just buy one at a time? Does White Castle sell anything else to go with the burgers like fries or onion rings?
    I have seen them in the freezer section at Safeway...I'm sure they're not as good as the fresh ones but are they similar? I need to experience these mysterious White Castle burgers!

Yesterday, on the way home from NJ, we stopped at the Traveler Restaurant in Union, CT. This place has good food, and you get three free books, too! You can take more, but then you have to pay (I think it's like five cents a book). I ordered a Ruben (something I'd pretty much never have, and finished for lunch today.

My sister's family makes this a regular stop on their trip from NY to NH, and I can see why!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

MRD

The only White Castle near me closed when I was a kid, but boy was it good. Krystal's is similar and they sell other things besides the hamburgers, I'm assuming White Castel does too.

My roommate in college worked at Krystal which was a godsend when we didnt have much money.

After college and living in Tampa, Krystal was the only place open after the bars closed. It was the great equalizer of classes as everyone from every walk of life was in there at 3 a.m. getting something to soak up the booze.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In other words, it's the exact same as Krystal in the Southeast. Which we pretty much already knew--the little burgers even look alike!
    By the way, did anyone else watch Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle? I hate to admit at it, and I don't even party like that. (At least not recently) No thinking required at all...just don't let the children see.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Krystal rocks. They're much, much better than White Castles. The first Krystal I pass on my home to Tennessee is Exit 22 in Bowling Green Ky. Yes, I stop there every time and also on my way home. When the kids were little they would always ask when we were stopping for Krystals.

Krystal

MRD

My daughter calls Krystal, Hamburger goodness.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A friend of mine who moved to Nashville, when there were no White Castle restaurants, and only Krystal told me that White Castle and Krystal burgers were similar, but that Krystal didn't steam their hamburger buns. This was a really long time ago; I've never had anything from Krystal. They are not local for me.

I've heard that the frozen White Castle burgers are good, but I just can't imagine that they could hold a candle to the freshly cooked ones. The kids at the community center have eaten the frozen burgers and seem to really like them. Everytime I'm there and they fix them the frozen ones, I frequently get my craving to go by the restaurant. WC has really been branching out into different burgers lately, and I totally adore their fried bologna, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich...adorned with my Dusseldorf mustard, of course! Their onion rings are really good, but you really want to eat those the moment you get them. I just might have to try the pulled pork bar-be-cue slider. I adore their garlic cheeseburgers (the cheese is garlic American cheese). Haven't had their jalapeno burger yet; it's just not calling my name. A lot of these specialty burgers are there for limited runs, and they bring them back every so often. I've not had any of their chicken things yet.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3425137;
    A friend of mine who moved to Nashville, when there were no White Castle restaurants, and only Krystal told me that White Castle and Krystal burgers were similar, but that Krystal didn't steam their hamburger buns. This was a really long time ago; I've never had anything from Krystal. They are not local for me.
    WC burgers have 5 holes in them (like the 5 pips on dice) and Krystal does not. Therefore Krystal has to flip their burgers to cook them and WC doesn't.
    They both place their buns on top of the burgers to warm them so I guess you could say that WC buns are steamed but I can't tell any difference in that aspect.
    It's not like I'm a WC or Krystal guru, just being in the restaurant business you learn things.

+ Reply to Thread