+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3423512;
    Just went by White Castle to grab a drink, and they are now selling Bar-be-que pulled pork sliders. Interesting and, no, I didn't get one. That's not what the tummy wanted.
    My tummy could go for a White Castle hamburger.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3423512;
    Just went by White Castle to grab a drink, and they are now selling Bar-be-que pulled pork sliders. Interesting and, no, I didn't get one. That's not what the tummy wanted.
    I am totally jealous. WC was my favorite when I was a kid on the East Coast.
    I wish CA had WC. I've bought the frozen ones at the market and, while they're OK, they're not quite the same.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I am surrounded by WC, and can't remember even having it once. Its one thing that has never appealed to me for some reason.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

I cannot stand White Castle. To me, the burgers have a smell that reminds me of dirty clothes at the bottom of the hamper. The ones that were forgotten the last time it was cleaned out to do laundry. The ones that have been missed for the last month or so. The ones that were last worn mucking out the hogs pen.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;3423873;
    I cannot stand White Castle. To me, the burgers have a smell that reminds me of dirty clothes at the bottom of the hamper. The ones that were forgotten the last time it was cleaned out to do laundry. The ones that have been missed for the last month or so. The ones that were last worn mucking out the hogs pen.
    OMG! I am glad we don't have White Castle here on the west coast!

We don't have any White Castle here in CT but I remember stopping at one in NY when I was on a class trip and it was so dirty that most of us just chose to not eat. I'm sure that was specific to that one restaurant but it's a shame that one impression of a franchise can turn you off of ever trying it.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;3423873;
    Ewww!!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3424040;
    We don't have any White Castle here in CT but I remember stopping at one in NY when I was on a class trip and it was so dirty that most of us just chose to not eat. I'm sure that was specific to that one restaurant but it's a shame that one impression of a franchise can turn you off of ever trying it.
    I had the same kind of experience as you, Bunny. There was one in a nearby city up here. Friends and I walked in one time, looked around, and walked right out (and we were just teens back then). It looked disgusting. Never ate one, never went back again. It went out of business a long, long time ago.

Later on in life, I became friends with a woman who grew up in Chicago. She mentioned how she missed WC burgers soooo much. I was shocked! It was the first time I had ever heard anyone rave about them.

They dont have WC where I am from but I was unfortunate enough to witness a friend woof down a few of them in one sitting (they were the frozen kind... no idea where she got them.) Just the smell was enough to make my stomach churn!

Last night I had a dinner party at my place. I made pork chops with a slightly spicy tomato Italian sauce and zuchini, couscous and a balsamic vinegarette salad. Pork chops are definately my favorite cut of meat, unless ketsup is involved... for some reason I cannot stand to put it on meat!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

White Castles are not only a food experience, but they are also a social experience. Since it's open 24 hours/day and was fairly inexpensive, a lot of kids congregate there after their school activities; after the clubs close (and everybody is feeling the alcohol), nothing tastes better than freshly cooked White Castles. When you've grown up with them, there is something seriously missing in your life if you move to where they are not. In college, we were known to load up a car and drive 120 miles just to get them, and jump right back on the expressway and return to school! It's a case of "When you gotta have them, you've gotta have them!" White Castle is where I learned about Dusseldorf Mustard....which is to die for! Every now and then, they may disagree with your system, but it doesn't seem to be too often. I'll bet you that a lot of people have some really great memories connected to White Castle!

Open your minds and try a food before you condemn it, people!
    They've been around this long for a reason!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread