+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I was just curious. Have any of you had the gastric bypass surgery (or one of the other ones)? For the bast 3 years I have been going back and forth with deciding if I should have it or not. None of my family or friends know that I am even thinking about this. None of them would be able to understand. I have my big meeting today with my doctor and I am really nervous not so much about the surgery itself but my life afterwards with the diet and whether or not I am strong enough of a person to stick to the rules afterwards.

If anyone has had it and dosn't want to share on here please PM me!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3419711;
    I was just curious. Have any of you had the gastric bypass surgery (or one of the other ones)? For the bast 3 years I have been going back and forth with deciding if I should have it or not. None of my family or friends know that I am even thinking about this. None of them would be able to understand. I have my big meeting today with my doctor and I am really nervous not so much about the surgery itself but my life afterwards with the diet and whether or not I am strong enough of a person to stick to the rules afterwards.

If anyone has had it and dosn't want to share on here please PM me!
    Several of us have had this. Mine was October 2005, and I just hit my goal. I lost exactly one of me, , from 250 to 125. Once you have made the mental commitment to the surgery itself, you'll be able to follow the rules .

Take advantage of every service your doctor's practice offers (psychologist, dietician, follow up groups, and so on), as those really help for support.

I know it's easy for me to say it now, but don't be too nervous. And, good luck!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm really surprised that there is not a gastric bypass/balloon surgery thread on this site. I've seen so many people talk about having gone through it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3419904;
    I'm really surprised that there is not a gastric bypass/balloon surgery thread on this site. I've seen so many people talk about having gone through it.
    That's because we are primarily a reality tv discussion board. If we allowed a thread for one particular medical problem, we would have to allow anything and everything, and that's not the purpose of this site. There are websites out there for pretty much any medical issue you might wish to discuss or seek further information about.

Also, this is the General Food Talk thread, so gastric bypass surgery isn't really fitting with the thread topic.

MRD

We don't have pasta salad too often because my husband hates it. But I'm in the mood for a good pasta salad. But the problem I have is that once it's a "leftover" it seems to get dry. What kind of dressing do I use to keep the pasta from soaking up so much of the dressing? I like to use an olive oil base.
    Or if anyone has any tips that would help.

I always have leftovers as hubby doesn't eat it and I'd like to have a few days worth of lunches from it without having the pasta soak up so much of the dressing. Thanks.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD, I love for my pasta to 'soak up' whatever it's mixed with, but I know what you mean; I also like it to still have dressing on it as well. --here's a simple cure. Mix up an extra side dish of olive oil and whatever else non-solid goes in your dressing, and just add it in when you dish out your leftovers.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3420245;
    We don't have pasta salad too often because my husband hates it. But I'm in the mood for a good pasta salad. But the problem I have is that once it's a "leftover" it seems to get dry. What kind of dressing do I use to keep the pasta from soaking up so much of the dressing? I like to use an olive oil base.
    Or if anyone has any tips that would help.

I always have leftovers as hubby doesn't eat it and I'd like to have a few days worth of lunches from it without having the pasta soak up so much of the dressing. Thanks.
    I think the pasta is going to absorb any kind of dressing you put on it. I just make enough dressing so that I can use it to freshen up the leftovers. I'll post my recipe in the recipes thread.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Personally, I think the phrase "good pasta salad" is an oxymoron. I've never experienced a "good pasta salad". I've never understood how that salad got so popular. I'm with mrd's hubby on this one.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 04-21-2009 at 09:33 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The pasta salad I make calls for Italian dressing as the main ingredient. It's basically just colored pasta, Italian dressing, black olives, canned peas, freshly grated parmasan cheese, and dried Italian herbs. Nothing too fancy, but I like it I've never had problems with it getting dry but if it does I'm sure you could just mix in a little more dressing.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

My mom makes a pasta salad which is bowtie noodles, basil, black olives and tomatoes I think (don't remember-- its been awhile since I had lab lunch) with some sort of vinaigrette. It's pretty good. But I'm very, very picky about my pasta salads, among other things, and will only consume them from trusted sources- my kitchen, my mother's, etc. The stuff in the deli case at the supermarket terrifies me. Mom also makes a macaroni salad, which maybe qualifies-- elbow macaroni, chicken, red onion, green pepper, green olives, mayo, which is surprisingly addictive. And a fusilli salad, which is also good.

MRD, if you're worried about the noodles getting soggy, could you try a thicker kind of noodle? Bowties might hold up better, or fusilli, or... I don't know.

+ Reply to Thread