+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3417911;
    So... does anyone here like chocolate gravy with their biscuits?
    We eat Chocolate Gravy.
    My mom would make a thick fudge sauce and pour it between saltine crackers. It is made from basics; cocoa, milk, butter, sugar, vanilla.
    She also made Chocolate Jiffs, but I think I've heard them called boiled Chocolate Cookies. They are made with cocoa, milk, butter, sugar, oatmeal, vanilla and with or without peanut butter. If any one wants, I'll post the recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3418157;
    She also made Chocolate Jiffs, but I think I've heard them called boiled Chocolate Cookies. They are made with cocoa, milk, butter, sugar, oatmeal, vanilla and with or without peanut butter. If any one wants, I'll post the recipes.
    Yes, please! I love anything chocolate.

Marley, I'm going to have to try those out. We don't have a Whole Foods, but the local Fresh Market store carries them.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Premium Member

You'll love them! I forgot that I had stocked up on a couple of extra bags before my surgery, so I'll be getting into them tonight.

FoRTer

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3418105;
    I'm almost afraid to ask: Chocolate chocolate, as in chocolate with sugar (bleccchhh) for a sweet "gravy"...?
    Yes, I guess I mean the "blechy" kind. It is rather sweet, but then so are a lot of breakfast foods. I don't want to give the impression that I eat it regularly, but the gravy discussion earlier brought it to mind. Mmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3418234;
    Yes, I guess I mean the "blechy" kind. It is rather sweet, but then so are a lot of breakfast foods. I don't want to give the impression that I eat it regularly, but the gravy discussion earlier brought it to mind. Mmmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3418157;
    We eat Chocolate Gravy.
    My mom would make a thick fudge sauce and pour it between saltine crackers. It is made from basics; cocoa, milk, butter, sugar, vanilla. . .
    Now that sounds good! I'm sorry -- I guess when I first saw "chocolate gravy," I thought of some sort of turkey or beef gravy with chocolate added in. Yeah, I know, it makes no sense. Chalk it up to too many working "weekends." (I can't remember the last time I had a real, two-day weekend.) But fudge sauce -- mmmmmmmm!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I have always found pickled eggs to be more "rubbery" than slimy. Gutmutter gave me a great recipe for making them at home.

Interestingly enough, red eye gravy is pretty darn good and so are a lot of things made with coffee. I ofen use coffee in making pot roast. You don't taste the coffee, but it adds a richness of taste to the broth the potroast cooks in.

Chocolate gravy sounds interesting.

So we did have chicken and dumplings instead of fried chicken and I made a breakfast casserole and served it with fruit. We had gone out to eat lunch at this little country restaurant, so he got fried chicken there and I didn't have to stand for hours at the stove. But a fun weekend was had by all.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've never thought about using coffee to make pot roast but it sounds pretty good!

I have a recipe for brownies that calls for coffee and it is absolutely delicious! It isn't overpowering or anything, it just gives the brownies a little hint of something extra.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I guess I'm just not a huge fan of the coffee taste, whether I think I can taste it or not (I think my imagination will taste it whether my taste buds actually do or not!), nor of the unexpected "bump" that might come from the caffeine when that's not what I'm specifically going for.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3418752;
    . . . Interestingly enough, red eye gravy is pretty darn good and so are a lot of things made with coffee. . .
    The coffee part sounds good -- I use it, too, like unsweetened cocoa, to add a depth of flavor without using more fat or salt. The thing about red-eye gravy that turned me off was the description of the grease pools floating on top. But yeah, coffee and cocoa are nice little je ne sais quois ingredients. I like to use espresso powder to cut the sweetness in brownies or other chocolate baked goods.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Well when I make red-eye gravy, it doesn't have grease pools.

The stuff I use coffee in, doesn't give you a caffiene buzz as there is usually not enough coffee in it to do that. I don't drink caffiene. I drink decaf coffe and decaf diet coke so I am very sensitive to caffiene and I don't get the bump when I cook with regular coffee.

In pot roast, most of the liquid is water based, the coffee is usually only about 1/5 of the liquid.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread