+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 479 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

That swanson broth will start to smell if you dont' use it within the 14 day time window. I know, I've opened up one and WHEW!!!

As for the leftovers, I freeze leftover broth and evaporated milk, etc. in ice cube trays and then put in baggies. It's so easy to put the cubes into something I'm cooking.

And Margaritaville, look for tubes of tomato paste. They are on the same aisle, but usually hidden on the top or bottom shelf. The tube of tomato paste is my friend and it does last a LONG time. I was like you and hated throwing away a whole can for using 1 tbsp. out of until I saw the resealable tubes you could buy.

You can go to the Duke's site and they will tell you what states they sell in. But I think it's only in the EAst.

Other people have asked me that about the show and I never watched it. The area is charming. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3200710;
    My son is going apple picking tomorrow with the daycare and I'm joining them. I can't remember which apples are best for pies and baking. I think it's one that is not too sweet, right? Is a Cortland good?
    I've got an "apple guide" that they gave us when we visited the Arbor Day Farm orchards. I would scan it but it's printed on red paper and it's not so easy to read. I picked up a bag of the Ozark Golds, so I'm gearing up to make some apple crisp this weekend. Anyway, according to this, here's how they stack up:

BAKING

Excellent: Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Ozark Gold, Rome Beauty, Turley, and Winesap

Good: Braeburn, Empire, Fuji, Gala, Grimes Golden, Jonathan, and Wealthy

Fair: Paulared, Red Delicious

Poor: Lodi

PIE USE

Excellent: Granny Smith, Jonagold, Jonathan, Ozark Gold, Winesap

Good: Braeburn, Empire, Fuji, Gala, Golden Delicious, Grimes Golden, Paulared, Rome Beauty, Turley, Wealthy

Fair: Lodi, Red Delicious

SAUCE USE

Excellent: Golden Delicious, Lodi, Paulared

Good: Braeburn, Fuji, Gala, Grimes Golden, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Jonathan, Ozark Gold, Rome Beauty, Turley, Wealthy

Fair: Empire, Red Delicious, Winesap

FRESH OR SALAD USE

Excellent: Braeburn, Empire, Fuji, Gala, Golden Delicious, Grimes Golden, Jonagold, Jonathan, Red Delicious,

Good: Granny Smith, Ozark Gold, Paulared, Turley, Wealthy, Winesap

Fair: Rome Beauty

Poor: Lodi

CHARACTERISTICS/COMMENTS

Braeburn: Large, red, well balanced flavor/Outstanding flavor and texture
    Empire: Red, crisp, juicy, sweet and slightly tart/Red Delicious - Mcintosh cross
    Fuji: Orange-red, sweet, crisp, juicy/Applesauce needs little sugar
    Gala: Reddish orange, sweet, crisp/Outstanding flavor
    Golden Delicious: Yellow, semi firm, sweet/Slow to brown after slicing
    Grimes Golden: Yellow flecked, juicy, slightly tart/Firm cooking apple
    Granny Smith: Green, juicy, tart, firm, crisp/Excellent pie apple
    Jonagold: Orange-red, tangy-sweet flavor/Jonathan - Golden Delicious cross
    Jonathan: Light red-scarlet, slightly tart, juicy/Excellent all-purpose apple
    Lodi: Yellow with tender skin, tart/Wonderful sauce apple
    Ozark Gold: Yellow, fine, crisp flesh/Good keeper, pear-like
    Paulared: Red with yellow markings, slightly tart/Best late summer apple
    Red Delicious: Red, juicy, rich, sweet/Outstanding for eating
    Rome Beauty: Red, firm, slightly tart/Great for baked apples
    Turley: Green with red blush, tart, firm/Good keeper
    Wealthy: Green with red blush, tart, spicy/Good late summer apple
    Winesap: Dark red, crisp, fairly tart/Excellent keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3201061;
    I have never seen that brand of mayo! I wonder if it is only available on the East coast? Sounds pretty good since there is no sugar added!

I have a question for all of you that use the Swanson's chicken broth that comes in the pourable cardboard container made to be refridgerated after opening. It says that is should be used within 14 days of opening/refridgerating. I'm wondering if anyone has used it past that window of time. It seems that it would still be good - and I absolutely hate to throw anything away. My husband says I get really too carried away with this, as I save all kinds of things and freeze them. A couple of months ago, he was cleaning out the freezer to make room for the groceries we just purchased (yes, he likes to go grocery shopping and he helps put it all away ) and he could not stop rolling his eyes at me when he found lots of ziploc baggies filled with food items. The item that really got to him was tomato paste. I have a recipe for my grandmother's spaghetti sauce and it only calls for 1 tablespoon of tomato paste. I see it as wasteful to throw away the rest of the can even though it is so inexpensive. So I had saved the rest and labeled it - and he just started laughing at me. He said "Really now, Marge, what are you saving us? Maybe 39 cents? And you are taking up freezer space for this??? Don't be crazy - it's okay, we can afford the 39 cents each time we make sauce"

So, the question is - How long do you think the broth would still be safe to use? I didn't bother this time, as I think it has been in the fridge for over a month - but for next time, I'm curious. Thoughts?
    Hi Marge - You know I use the broth past the expiration date with no problem, a quick sniff will let you know if its still good. It freezes very well in the box, too. I have the same issue with tomato paste. I have several recipes that only call for a tablespoon or two. They sell tomato paste in the tube and you can squeeze out as much as you need and save the rest in the fridge. The brand they sell at Safeway is expensive, sometimes Trader Joes sells it and it's cheap but they run out. The other place I have found it is Cost Plus. They have inexpensive imported foods. The tube allows for you to use as much or as little as needed.

Is it possible to freeze cooked rice? I bought one of those Indian meals-in-a-box (it provides the rice and all the seasonings, you just have to fry up some onions and add chickpeas) and I ended up with a surplus of basmati rice. There's maybe two helpings of the rice left and I hate to throw it out.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always been told that rice doesn't freeze well. I received a wonderful recipe with rice in it and, in bold print, were the words, "Rice doesn't freeze well!" Based on that admonition, I've never tried it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3201457;
    CHARACTERISTICS/COMMENTS

Braeburn: Large, red, well balanced flavor/Outstanding flavor and texture
    Empire: Red, crisp, juicy, sweet and slightly tart/Red Delicious - Mcintosh cross
    Fuji: Orange-red, sweet, crisp, juicy/Applesauce needs little sugar
    Gala: Reddish orange, sweet, crisp/Outstanding flavor
    Golden Delicious: Yellow, semi firm, sweet/Slow to brown after slicing
    Grimes Golden: Yellow flecked, juicy, slightly tart/Firm cooking apple
    Granny Smith: Green, juicy, tart, firm, crisp/Excellent pie apple
    Jonagold: Orange-red, tangy-sweet flavor/Jonathan - Golden Delicious cross
    Jonathan: Light red-scarlet, slightly tart, juicy/Excellent all-purpose apple
    Lodi: Yellow with tender skin, tart/Wonderful sauce apple
    Ozark Gold: Yellow, fine, crisp flesh/Good keeper, pear-like
    Paulared: Red with yellow markings, slightly tart/Best late summer apple
    Red Delicious: Red, juicy, rich, sweet/Outstanding for eating
    Rome Beauty: Red, firm, slightly tart/Great for baked apples
    Turley: Green with red blush, tart, firm/Good keeper
    Wealthy: Green with red blush, tart, spicy/Good late summer apple
    Winesap: Dark red, crisp, fairly tart/Excellent keeper
    It's funny they don't even MENTION MacIntosh... That's what I've always used in pies and so did my mother and her mother before her...

Is there another name for them?
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

AJane, my mom freezes cooked rice in meals for my stepfather when she works. She undercooks it a little though so it isn't mushy when reheated. I'm not sure how it would turn out since I assume yours is fully cooked. I say it couldn't hurt to try.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie;3201708;
    It's funny they don't even MENTION MacIntosh... That's what I've always used in pies and so did my mother and her mother before her...

Is there another name for them?
    I think that's probably because they limited it to the varieties of apples that are grown in their orchard. It wouldn't do any good to list apples that you wouldn't be able to buy there.

MRD

I have frozen fully cooked rice quite a bit. It turns out fine when reheated.

My next project at the museum???? You guys will LOVE this one, because I am.

The history of Chocolate to be presented on Valentine's Day 2009.

I'm excited. I'm sure the research will be sweet.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3201780;
    I think that's probably because they limited it to the varieties of apples that are grown in their orchard. It wouldn't do any good to list apples that you wouldn't be able to buy there.
    Opps... Sorry... I was speed reading... I see where you said that now...

I did read elsewhere after I posted that Macs are more prevalent in the Northeast, which explains why I don't think I've ever been to an orchard that wasn't predominantly MacIntosh...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

+ Reply to Thread