+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Restaurants

Re: Restaurants

If you love Prime Rib, when in San Francisco you must visit House of Prime Rib. Pricey but really worth it!

House of Prime Rib

My all time best prime rib I ever had was at Eli's The Place For Steak in Chicago. And the chocolate chip cheesecake for dessert was the best I've ever had. This was in 1978 so I don't know if it's still as good as it was. The best steak I ever had was at The Palm Restaurant, the original one in NYC.

MRD

So I ate at Grits and Groceries again today after my presentation and I had Maw-Maw's fried chicken. I think I died and went to fried chicken heaven!!! Also had potato salad. I'm very picky about potato salad and there has only been one other restuarant that I like the potato salad. Yesterday I upped that to two!

I also bought their cookbook so that I too can make praline bacon at home. And it sounds easy.

It was hard, but I passed on the homemade desserts. One of the owners was the head pastry chef at NOLA (one of Emeril's restaurants) in New Orleans for 10 years. And his wife also worked there. The food is to die for good and the atmosphere is fabulous. The resturant is in what used to be an old country store and it looks like it. The owners wear shirts that resemble shirts mechanics wear with their names on the left breast. IT works as the place is always crowded, the food good and the atmosphere friendly and fun.

The only recipe they didn't have in the cookbook that I was dying for was the "white trash nachos". They are made with tater tots instead of tortilla chips.
    But it's a layer of tater tots, a layer of cheese sauce, the topped with their own salsa, sour cream and crumbled bacon. Yeah, not to healthy sounding, but for a football game or party, I could see making these.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm discovering my love for restaurants again... Viet Thai, Houston's Pizza, Montanna's, Brewsters... Yum yum yum.. Really any place that serves a variety of foods that aren't all spicy and that serves desserts are awesome by me!

Unk, my brother and his wife LOVE The Palm in NY. I bought them a gift certificate for his 50th birthday and they had a great dinner before a hockey game. What more can a Canadian ask for ?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;3198612;
    I'm discovering my love for restaurants again... Viet Thai, Houston's Pizza, Montanna's, Brewsters... Yum yum yum.. Really any place that serves a variety of foods that aren't all spicy and that serves desserts are awesome by me!
    I'm so happy for you. Sounds like you are having a blast. Wish I could join you.

DH and I found a very good crêperie in La Jolla. It has a funny name: Bibby's. It's on Pearl Street, not far from Sammy's Woodfired Pizza and BevMo -- kind of across the street and down a block.

Anyway, one of the things that impressed me -- besides the overall quality -- is the fact that they're true to the French style of doing crêpes: using buckwheat flour for the savory crêpes, and white flour for only the sweet crêpes. It bugs me to no end when an eatery claims to be a French-style crêperie, yet uses white-flour crêpes for the savory dishes.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I love crepes, but it's always so hard to find someone that does them well at all, no matter what kind of flour they use. And interestingly enough here with a significant French population, you'd think we could get good crepes , but sadly no. And no decent German food either with the large German population.
    However, we've got the Indian cuisine covered. Found several fabulous Indian restaurants and several great Mexican places. I wonder what the people from Michelin and BMW do for good "home" cooked food here. I must find out.

If any of you are ever in San Diego, please please please go to Acqua al 2 and the get the Balsamic steak. It is the best food in the whole entire world EVER. I promise.

I live on the East Coast, but lived in Florence, Italy for awhile and went to original restaurant there often. MMM this is making me hungry just thinking about it!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Toby - I've never tried that restaurant. Is it new?

Ellen - Have you been to the fondue place in La Jolla village? It is soo delicious, especially the cheese and the dessert. They gave us mini rice krispies bars to dip in the chocolate, and all sorts of yummies. mmmmm.

My daugther is a crepes snob. She did the french immersion program and they went to France several times as a class and for exchange program stuff. Her host family taught her how to make crepes and she won't eat just any crepe. The ones she makes are delicious. I smear Nutella on mine and cut up some bananas on top.

I love Nutella. My mother's family is scandinavian and we have lefse ( a norweigan flatbread) for every occasion. The traditional way to eat it is to spread butter and sprinkle sugar on it and roll it up. Some people eat it with jelly, though that is less common. I spread Nutella on mine and all relatives really think I'm committing a sin when I do it. It's soo good like that, though!

+ Reply to Thread