+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Restaurants

Re: Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3192875;
    The Melting Pot is not a quick meal restaurant. It's fun to go with a bunch of people though and make a whole evening of it.

I remember a great restaurant in D.C. that served exotic meats. You could get rattlesnake, Elk, etc. It was cool.

It's funny that you mention the Jack Daniels stuff at Fri. It's one of the few things there I like. I also make a fabulous Jack Daniels sauce for bread pudding. But I drank JD for years, so I guess I still like the flavor.

I had wasabi mashed potatos at a resturant here. I wasn't impressed with the other food or the prices, but I sure would like some more of those potatos. They weren't spicy at all, they weren't but a very, very, very pale green. But they had great flavor. I should experiment to see if I could make them.

I think my issue with Jack Daniels is that I drank too much of it once and got sick - this was back in high school - and so now just the smell of it makes me nauseated. So the fact that TGI Fridays marinates their food in it is a big no no for me. UGH.

Breakfast - love the Original Pancake House. It is a franchise deal, but locally owned. Crepes, Waffles, and some HUGE omelets.
    I love crepes, but I'm a purist. I want them plain with S/F syrup, nothing stuffed in them. My mom used to make them that way and I love the laciness of crepes. I do have my own crepemaker, that I use.
    But hubby goes there for the BACON. Thick, awesome bacon.

and great coffee. It is our weekend morning place. at least one day a week.

Eggs N Things is the best place around here for breakfast. The wait can be nearly an hour but the food and coffee are so good!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3193503;
    Breakfast - love the Original Pancake House. It is a franchise deal, but locally owned. Crepes, Waffles, and some HUGE omelets.
    I love crepes, but I'm a purist. I want them plain with S/F syrup, nothing stuffed in them. My mom used to make them that way and I love the laciness of crepes. I do have my own crepemaker, that I use.

LOVE their Dutch Baby Pancake!!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3193416;
    I think my issue with Jack Daniels is that I drank too much of it once and got sick - this was back in high school - and so now just the smell of it makes me nauseated. So the fact that TGI Fridays marinates their food in it is a big no no for me. UGH.
    Ah, I see. I have the same issue with Bananas Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3193413;
    Yeah, I'm hungry. So my mind is whirrling with visions of yummy food in it.

I have to say that I think the best US city for food is New Orleans. WOW. When I was there I pigged out left and right and never ran across a bad (or even mediocre) meal. It was all really, really good. I stayed near the French Quarter so most of the meals I had were in restaurants near there. Delicious!!!!
    I would have to agree. Even what I call "hole in the wall" restaurant's are good there.
    What I wouldn't give to be sitting in the French Market right now with some coffee and Beignet's watching the people walk by.

Or having an oyster po' boy or some oysters at Felix's or a muffeletta.

I'm just torturing myself now.
    Last edited by MRD; 09-09-2008 at 04:29 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3193416;

I had the same thing happen to me. I can't even sit at the same table as someone who orders a Jack and Coke. The smell just makes me ill immediately. I know it's totally the fault of my teenage drinking antics, and not the good people at Jack Daniel's Distillery.

I love reading these Food threads, but they make me so HUNGRY. I'm not a big fan of chain restaurants, but I always liked Chili's. I always liked their "big" salads and the queso dip appetizer. But the Chili's closest to me closed. I don't understand why, you always had to wait for a table

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3193610;
    Ah, I see. I have the same issue with Bananas Foster.

I would have to agree. Even what I call "hole in the wall" restaurant's are good there.
    What I wouldn't give to be sitting in the French Market right now with some coffee and Beignet's watching the people walk by.

Or having an oyster po' boy or some oysters at Felix's or a muffeletta.

I'm just torturing myself now.

Oooh, Po Boy sammys. MMMM. I remember some pasta place in the French Quarter that had the BEST food. It was Italian but had a cajun kick to it. I cleaned my plate (and it was a big plate). And yes! Beignets and Pan Perdu (I can't spell French but it translates to 'lost bread' - kind of a kick a$$ version of French Toast). MMMMMM. Ohhhh I want to go back there just for the food. After all of these hurricanes pass, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3193679;
    I had the same thing happen to me. I can't even sit at the same table as someone who orders a Jack and Coke. The smell just makes me ill immediately. I know it's totally the fault of my teenage drinking antics, and not the good people at Jack Daniel's Distillery.

I love reading these Food threads, but they make me so HUNGRY. I'm not a big fan of chain restaurants, but I always liked Chili's. I always liked their "big" salads and the queso dip appetizer. But the Chili's closest to me closed. I don't understand why, you always had to wait for a table
    Yeah, it has a very distinctive smell. My aversion is so bad that any 'brown' hard alcohol is out for me - whiskey, most rum (I can handle spiced rum like Captain Morgan because it's so sweet, with Coke),etc. Bourbon, scotch. Eeewy.

I'm another person who is not at all a fan of chain restaurants. I'll only eat at one when it's a matter of convenience (as when meeting someone in an unfamiliar area ), when everything else is closed, or when nothing else is available.
    Probably the best restaurant I can think of offhand is the Seewee on Highway 17 14 miles North of Charleston SC, in Awendaw--which far as I could see consists pretty much of the Seewee. It actually is the kind of thing so many of the corporate restaurants are modeled on, in that it used to be a general store, until it started serving food. The restaurant took over, but they left all the old calandars, items on the shelves, etc. sitting there. But no matter, it's really about the food. They had the best she crab soup I've ever had, including the overpriced tourist traps in Charleston, and have wonderful pit cooked barbecue, fresh veggies, the best fried chicken, etc. Besides, you can go in dressed however, as it is Yummm; I need to go to Charleston!
    My other best places are the seafood stands in New England where you can get a lobster for cheap, cheap.
    Closer to home, I don't eat out much, but in the next town over there is a good Japanese steak house that just opened and is fun, and actually has good food at a much lower price than Benihana's and the like. Also, we have quite a lot of really good barbecue to choose from.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3193503;

We have one near where we live. I grew up in this area, and when I was a kid it was Original Pancake House during the morning hours, and then turned into a Pizza place (called My Pi - like 3.14 pi but the symbol thingie). Since I've moved back, the pizza joint is no longer and the place is the Original Pancake House all day now.
    They are really, really yummy, too. They have such a huge selection of breakfast that I rarely have the same thing twice it seems. I like their dutch babies, too.

There is a place (local chain that is dying out) that specializes in dutch pancakes - but they call them Pannekoekens. They top the pancakes with all kinds of stuff - you can choose from apples and caramel, or raspberries, or french silk topping. They are really good.

I have a recipe for dutch pancakes, my mom used to make them for me when I was a kid and now I occasionally make them for my daughter. My mom called them 'surprise pannacakes'. I don't know where that name came from.

+ Reply to Thread