+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Restaurants

Re: Restaurants

There is a reason why 10% of the population thinks that cilantro tastes like soap. They are born with a genetic variant known as a single-nucleotide polymorphism.

Why 10% of the Population Hates Cilantro and the Rest Doesn't Know Any Better - Blog - Reason I Am Here - Nacho Caballero

And I agree with you- I so hate when people try and make me eat food items that I tell them that I can't eat. And that it will make me sick. What is with that?

The only exception (and this is really for the kid I mentor) is if you have never tried it. I believe you should eat what your body craves.
    Ellen and libgirl2 like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Wow! Thanks for that link beerbelly, interesting. Death molecules...... LOLOLOLOL
    beerbelly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I went to a Mexican restaurant last month (Tijuana Flats) and tried an appetizer that was diced jalapenos and cream cheese rolled up in a flour tortilla and fried. The first bite or so tasted good but there were just way too many jalapenos in it. They overwhelmed everything else. I don't mind some spice but this was just ridiculous. I ended up having to unroll the tortillas and scrape out as much jalapeno as I could. I won't be getting that appetizer again, unless they can prepare it with much less jalapeno. I wonder if the people in the kitchen have ever even tasted them? I would think if they had, they would have noticed that the amount of jalapenos was overkill.

In retrospect, I should have complained while I was at the restaurant so they could have some customer feedback. I didn't because I don't like to be seen as a complainer.
    My cousin is married to a Mexican man and you would not believe how spicy his family makes things. They love it and don't think it's too hot. I don't think you'd be seen as a complainer if you were to tell your server something like, "WOW, those were a lot hotter than I expected. That should come with a warning label!" It may be that the server has eaten them and doesn't think they're too spicy. By telling him or her, you'd be giving them information that will help them be a better server. You're not being rude if you phrase it nicely. It's information they should have. I'll bet you weren't the first person to feel that way.

I went to BJ's with a friend and she ordered, I think, shrimp tacos. She asked our waiter - who was an early 20-something man - if they were spicy and he said they weren't. WELL, she could barely eat them and refused to tell him. I argued that she should have told him so that he could then answer the "Is it spicy?" question with something like, "Well, I don't think it is, but I have had customers who thought it was on the spicy side." I think she just didn't want any fuss made, but I felt like she should have at least told him that it was too spicy for her, even if she didn't expect him to bring her another meal.

Speaking of BJ's, their iced tea is my very favorite and I've asked several servers what brand it is. They've always said "Lipton Tropical." WELL, I searched everywhere online, including the Lipton website, where there was NO mention of any tropical tea (maybe there is now, but when I looked there wasn't and I gave up). Cut to a few days ago when I was making a Smart & Final run and there it was! It's clearly for restaurant use, since it's in gallon bags, but I bought it anyway. The pitcher for my iced tea pot isn't that big, but I don't care. This is where the math I hated in school comes in handy! I'm just finishing up the last of the pitcher of tea in the fridge and then I'm making some of this stuff. I hope it's close to being as good as at the restaurant!
    Punkin and pikachu like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I have no problem letting a server know if something isn't as I expected it to be. While the taste of food is subjective (LOTS of servers here in the southwest don't think things are as hot as this gringo does), the person paying the bill is entitled to have something that THEY find to be edible. I've ordered "new" things that I turned out not to like. That's on me. But if I ask a specific question about something (like spices) and find that it's not what I expected, I send it back, and ask them to replace it with something I can actually eat. I am always polite, but I'd no more pay for food I can't eat than I would pay for something that I find to be defective when I get it home.

We have several Texas Roadhouse restaurants in our area. We always went to the one closest to our former home. When we moved 20 miles away, we started going to a closer site. Five of the 6 times we went there, I received a steak that was inedible. I always ask for medium rare. They kept bringing me steaks that were well done. Once they even brought me a piece of something that looked like gray shoe leather. When I cut into that one, I couldn't even take a bite - it was that disgusting. The irony is that I had - with a smile - told the server that I hadn't had good luck there with my steaks the previous several times I'd been there. I said, "PLEASE make sure my steak is medium rare . . . because if it's not, the chef will get it back." She promised me it would be as requested. Apparently, she didn't look at it while carrying it from the kitchen to our table.

After seeing the shoe leather, I asked for the manager. I showed her the steak and said, "Can you take a guess as to how I requested my steak?" She replied, "Looks like it's very well done. Is that what you ordered?" When I told her I'd asked for MEDIUM RARE and had specified my previous problems to the server, the manager was VERY unhappy about what I'd been given. She offered to replace the steak. I said, "No, thank you. By the time it gets here, my husband will be done with his. Please just take it off my bill, and I'll just settle for the dinner salad I've already eaten." She comped the whole tab - but we've still never returned. We now drive 20 miles further to go to the other restaurant, where my steak is always done as I've requested it.
    beerbelly likes this.

Uggg! How frustrating. I'm a steak girl and I like rare or medium rare. Getting a well done steak is just laziness. And yes, you should totally send it back. It's a whole different....animal .

I too have sent steaks back for not being what I wanted.
    AZChristian likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Oh, in that case, I totally would have had a talk with the manager, AZC. I'm not one to pitch a fit, but if it's that wrong, I'm letting someone know. Plus, it's a steak. That's not exactly a budget meal. If I'm paying for a steak. It had better be perfect.
    Punkin, beerbelly and AZChristian like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I can't eat spicy food, so now, when I go to a restaurant and I'm curious as to how spicy something is, I tell the server that a 1 to everyone else is a 9 to me.

This has worked exceptionally well :-) They really cut back on the spiciness so that I can enjoy the food.

As far as cooking at home, my husband loves spicy food, so I bought him a bottle of sriracha. This system is also working well :-) He adds it to foods he wants to be hotter, and I can still eat whatever I made.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

Speaking of BJ's, their iced tea is my very favorite and I've asked several servers what brand it is. They've always said "Lipton Tropical." WELL, I searched everywhere online, including the Lipton website, where there was NO mention of any tropical tea (maybe there is now, but when I looked there wasn't and I gave up). Cut to a few days ago when I was making a Smart & Final run and there it was! It's clearly for restaurant use, since it's in gallon bags, but I bought it anyway. The pitcher for my iced tea pot isn't that big, but I don't care. This is where the math I hated in school comes in handy! I'm just finishing up the last of the pitcher of tea in the fridge and then I'm making some of this stuff. I hope it's close to being as good as at the restaurant!
    I'll have to look for "tropical". I've been drinking the Lipton Tea & Honey Mango Pineapple Iced Green Tea to go packets. It is light and very refreshing. I mix it in my regular iced, a mixture of green and decaf and sliced lemons, or just mix it with water.

If you have a Smart & Final nearby, that's your best bet. I searched everywhere for it and sort of thought the folks at BJ's were mistaken because I could NOT find it anywhere. Like I said, it wasn't even listed on Lipton's website when I looked. I did just find it on Amazon, but it's in THREE GALLON bags....24 of them for over $60. Yikes. The stuff I bought was 1 gallon bags, which is big enough. The pack was 24 1 gallon bags for around $15. It's definitely for restaurant use, which is why you won't find it in a "normal" store or where you can usually buy tea.
    inthegarden likes this.

Ugh! The restaurant I had the displeasure of dining at while on vacation was just voted one of the top in the Midwest! I don't get it. It was the worse meal I have ever eaten. The rice tasted like it was frozen and thawed out to serve, mealy and mushy and the food was so oily and bad. I eat out at many different places, love all types of cuisine... and I don't care if its an elegant place or a hole in the wall, good food is good food.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread